Austin Maxi

keef

Does that gearbox-in-sump not look incredibly vulnerable hanging out that much below the car in the pic above?  Absolutely anything dropped in the road is going to clang that properly hard.  There must be 100mm of "stuff" hanging out below the front valence.

I never saw the appeal of a maxi.  Always struck me as a very "old fashioned" car, even when just a few years old.  They look like they should be from the 60s, despite being sold as recently as the early 80s.

Just now, Talbot said:

Does that gearbox-in-sump not look incredibly vulnerable hanging out that much below the car in the pic above?  Absolutely anything dropped in the road is going to clang that properly hard.  There must be 100mm of "stuff" hanging out below the front valence.

yeah I always thought that myself

it looks like like if you gave it a swift kick there it would cross its front tyres and kneel over LOL

Gearbox in sump and OHC makes the E-series a very tall lump so there is rather a lot hanging below the front and you do have to be a bit careful. When @Slowsilver had his first Maxi back in the day, he had an aftermarket sump guard and I believe the rally cars have a similar addition.

38 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Yes, very much so and if your Maxi had cruder suspension it would be living a reputation of being left ruined at the roadside in today's speed hump world

I also had a Landcrab automatic that also slung the B&W gearbox under the engine too (we have a lot to thank Fiat engineers for, with their end-on gearbox template used today).  I grounded that gearbox a few times getting to shows using a rutted track.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know any more about this one? :- 
HUM 154G
✗ Untaxed
Tax due: 
1 May 2009
Incorrect tax status?
MOT
No results returned
Incorrect MOT status?
Interesting that it shows Date of first registrationMarch 1994
& Date of last V5C (logbook) issued10 April 2008
Last seen in Colne, Lancashire

Apparently HUM***G is an age related issue That would explain the late date of first registration. Although there is a Export marker on DVLA's website there is no Import marker, so no way of telling if it's an import or a re-reg. due to cherished plate sale or similar. :(

56 minutes ago, keef said:

Anyone know any more about this one? :- 
HUM 154G
✗ Untaxed
Tax due: 
1 May 2009
Incorrect tax status?
MOT
No results returned
Incorrect MOT status?
Interesting that it shows Date of first registrationMarch 1994
& Date of last V5C (logbook) issued10 April 2008
Last seen in Colne, Lancashire

Apparently HUM***G is an age related issue That would explain the late date of first registration. Although there is a Export marker on DVLA's website there is no Import marker, so no way of telling if it's an import or a re-reg. due to cherished plate sale or similar. :(

no previous registration marks showing on my end and it has an import marker, however its worth noting that some vehicles registered individually like the above for whatever reason sometimes gets an import marker even if its not an import

however the interesting thing about this Maxi  is that its Used before First registration flag is set to No, so I wonder if it was some sort of show room barn find type affair? (or someone filled in the forms/entered the data wrong LOL)

I recommend you use this tool to grab all the juicy DVLA data thats not on the 1st party checker :) https://www.carbaba.co.uk/

(just enter the reg and give it a random milage and hit "value my car" and it will show a nice bit of info, it seems to use the same back end my paid for special tool uses, the only thing it wont give is VIN numbers and what previous registration numbers a car has had if any it will only tell you its had past registrations but wont tell you what they are)