NOVA world of pain or not

richardthestag

Advice please chaps

have a car bought in Jan this year which had V5 but not V5c, applied for V5c and was advised by Doovla last week that has been permanently exported.

contacted previous owner who had no knowledge, he is contacting owner before and has yet to get a reply. 

No MOT history is recorded but looks like last taxed / sorned in 2011

The car in question is the bobtail Rangie that I wouldn't mind restoring.

even if I get past the nova issues, I am unlikely to get a V5c until the car gets it's first MOT, which will involve some significant investment.

snog/marry/avoid

does it show up as Export marker=Yes on the DVLA checker thingy?

I wonder can you ask them where it was exported too or are the DVLA not informed of that info when a car is marked as exported?

because since you have the car, which clearly has not moved in some time, I doubt it could of been exported to some far flung country then imported back in that time...

(I wonder if something dodgy happened in the past and the car/a car wearing the same plates was falsely marked as exported for some reason?)

If someone has filled in the permanently exported box on the current V5C I don't think Swansea look for any evidence of export they just go on the V5C. It may indeed have gone abroad for a bit for greenlaning and then been trailered back or maybe someone who did not want to use it on the road anymore thought it a clever way of removing it from the DVLA database?

kind of where I am heading with this.

export marker is YES

last tax which I am assuming was sorn was 3 feb 2015 so I am pretty sure someone knows what the fuck is going on.

the reg number comes back as green rover 3500cc so matches the car

I do not want to be the one carrying the can when HMRC says "ahh yes £1000 VAT please" then get it MoTed and find v5c is a nightmare

You may be better off breaking it for the parts and putting/combining them on another RR with a UK registration if it is a big restoration job. Save the official hassle? Because until it is rereg is just a piece of machinery that is present in the UK. Or using it completely off-road.

That /\ fella - export is tick only - no further details required - not even the name of who 'took' it. 

The only person I can think of who may be able to offer advice would be that there 'Saunders man himself….. IIRC - he tok a Bentley and added RR headlights etc... - not even changing the original radius of main panels and they STILL failed it on safety checks (potential injury to pedestrians or some weirdness). It was a ball-ache for a relatively unchanged more modern vehicle. I'd hate to see what they made of a design as old as the RR.

I hope a friendly Doovla bod can help you out - only you can decide if it's worth the time/money investment. I know I'm not talking to a noob - but - Don't - whatever you do - take them at their word and plough into it - as you'll be left high n dry I suspect.

I bring ex U.K. cars back from time to time.

The hassle factor seems to vary, according to who handles it / luck of the draw!

I’ve had to totally re register a car as a new ( used) import, to little more than a nod - and the V5c being reissued.

Either route, it’s a £55 cheque and the relevant used registration paperwork, copy licence & insurance and it’s usually back in 10 days ( ish). However, all mine re/ were too old for an Mot...

I have found that telling them the original reg is etched into the glass usually results in that number coming back- with one exception.

How Brexit May affect this Lord knows, so we bunged several in late last week. Awaiting the outcome, now....

thanks all for the advise chaps

My issue is that the car is already in the UK, I assumed that it had always been so, I bought it 3rd Jan 2019 and assumed that I just needed to apply for a v5c. DVLA sat on my application for 2 months and then informed me of the export flag. Would have been easy for me to check online and now my lessons learned log has been updated

The chap I bought it from did not import the car and the chap he bought it from is silent, so far*.

HMRC online was not clear so I ended up calling them. Super helpful. They are emailing me a print copy of the NOVA1 form which I can complete and attach a covering letter with the above scenario.

Assuming I can get NOVA sorted I still have v5c which will be on hold until MoT which frankly is a way off. Currently looking at the quickest way to an MOT and also undo the serious modification that would cause any Q plate schenanigans

post-3439-0-52836100-1553591915_thumb.jpg

Happy Dayz

Hmmm. When I delayed Nova on my imported Seat Ronda, I got a god almighty fine (£5 a day, after the 1st 14, from memory), amounting to many hundreds.

I involved my MP, and squirmed every which way, but ended it by exporting it again (& proving it - they DO check ferry records) for 6 months. It took that, to get them off my back.

But - this was the very early days of NOVA- I think they’ve become a lot more realistic/ adaptable for ‘Historics’ since. Or maybe not....

thanks all for the advise chaps

My issue is that the car is already in the UK, I assumed that it had always been so, I bought it 3rd Jan 2019 and assumed that I just needed to apply for a v5c. DVLA sat on my application for 2 months and then informed me of the export flag. Would have been easy for me to check online and now my lessons learned log has been updated

The chap I bought it from did not import the car and the chap he bought it from is silent, so far*.

HMRC online was not clear so I ended up calling them. Super helpful. They are emailing me a print copy of the NOVA1 form which I can complete and attach a covering letter with the above scenario.

Assuming I can get NOVA sorted I still have v5c which will be on hold until MoT which frankly is a way off. Currently looking at the quickest way to an MOT and also undo the serious modification that would cause any Q plate schenanigans

attachicon.gif20190105_101549.jpg

Happy Dayz

since its a historic vehicle by now, can you just throw a V112 at them in lieu of an MOT?, like how Zel did with his invacar?

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to recall that if you bought it here, the date of "import" is the day you bought it, hence just declare nova and cross a finger or 2.

Most people report the nova people are helpful and useful on the phone.