2001: A Space Auditiy (Audi A2 content)

320touring

Spent yesterday running about in this with the windows down due to the heat (23 degrees Celsius is Scotland!)

Noticed that the buffering from having the windows open is really terrible - especially about the b pillar.

Not good. Wonder if it is related to the aerodynamics?

I look at this and think about all the effort that went to make it efficient, yet in real world terms its no more efficent than a veg burning boring or Octavia.

Yep, smaller, and less comfortable too

I reckon if they'd left the 4th cylinder on the PD and made it a wee bit wider it'd have been awesome

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This tub is now at 187132 miles, and with the Burds Clio getting an MOT, it's now passed to me for a daily.

I'll be doing 50-60 miles a day, and hoping for decent MPG.

Currently the average mpg is 55.46.

It's had 2 front tyres (the correct size) and that has lead to the TC occasionally being grumpy as the rear tires are larger.

Coolant loss is monitored and topped as needed (usually once every couple of weeks)

Let's see how it does..

Well, where to start...

Just taken the A2 over the craw road through fintry.

Caught a chap in a mk7 golf gtd driving a bit silly (crossing white line etc on approach to blind bends etc).

On way out of fintry I passed him and another car on a long straight before starting the climb up the hill.

Took him 5 miles to catch me, then he couldn't keep up downhill..

?‍♂

I enjoyed the drive home immensely, and was starting to warm to the car, then,

As Tayne predicted..IMG-20190625-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.6fcdedd2c9603c89708fb8d8d04e29a0.jpeg

110 miles since I checked and topped the coolant up to max..

IMG_20190625_181841.thumb.jpg.0a81a1f8ccb7f3029fa1eec1bc691b3b.jpg

Brave pills taken, kitchen roll deployed and cap opened.

It took about 600ml to get back to max.

When the bird was driving it, it'd sup 300ml or so every 200 miles - so topping it up was just part of the weekly check (oil/tyres etc).

I have had it on commute for 2 days. 110 miles since last top up. It took 600ml to get back to max.

Unsure what's causing it - no obvious leaks. Consumption seems to increase if driving faster.

Current suspects - waterpump / oil cooler / headgasket or bottle/cap (although I think they have been replaced I think? (anyone able to confirm?)

21 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

My local garage tested the HG on the 80 for nowt (so I can now comfortably ignore the errant temp gauge).

Maybe worth getting done to find out one way or another?

Decent shout - maybe see if I can get it in there one day by working* from hame

19 minutes ago, gm said:

what about those head bolts that Dome got off eBay ? I presume he didn't get round to trying them ? 

or just a bit less GLF ?

good to see it is still alive* and well**

Head bolts are a possibility - I think he still even has the spare key..

7 minutes ago, Tickman said:

Could you please explain what you mean by this stupid statement ;)

Amen. Less GLF? DOES NOT COMPUTE

On the old TDI you can check the water pump impeller through the hole in the block for the thermostat, not sure about this PD.

Is there no sign of coolant loss at all? The two disastrous Octavias I had that exhibited similar symptoms were pressuring coolant with exhaust gases, the coolant being lost via the expansion tank vent.

This diagram of the 1.4 PDI engine shows the oil cooler to be in the pressure feed from the pump. The oil pressure is going to be much higher than the coolant pressure so if there was a cooler problem, oil would get into the water and not the other way around.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_223.pdf

Capture.PNG