Dave_Q

Audi allroad TDI for sale SPEARS OR REAPERS

Sorry for the extreme 1/2 arsedness of this thread, better pics and details to follow.

Quick version:

For sale is a 2003 Audi allroad. Got a bit of test left but the clutch has started slipping on boost. Still drivable for now but will need doing. 230000ish miles but engine and air suspension are all good. £500 to a shiter, would get this or more on eBay I reckon.

Long version:

The car is an A6 Avant with adjustable air suspension for mild off roading. It's had 2 new airbags on the back and a pump rebuild so the suspension works fine.

The car has the 2.5 V6 TDI in 180hp flava. Pulls well, was told it had just had a new cambelt and injector pump. No invoice but the pump looks new.

Inside is great for the milage, leather seats, aircon, cruise control etc. Outside it has rusty doors and a few scrapes etc.

These things are meant to be boss for towing, rated for I think 2.8t braked and a towbar noseweight of 100kg.

Other than the clutch I reckon it will need a suspension arm or 3 for MOT and a mildly bodged brake pipe putting right. Brakes work perfect but I've used a T piece with 1 end blanked off to join a repair which is probably not cool from MOT POV.

Probably not down for a raffle a a quick sale is needed. Really a great car that would do many years more service for someone with the time/energy to turn spanners on it, currently that's not me.

One old pic for now, will get more.

2b42c6606a7700cf6c345c6b3f894907.jpg

Hmm something I’ve always fancied, my only concern is a £500 car needing a £500 clutch although there’s then £500 profit in it if MoT isn’t horrendous which given your previous descriptions and their levels of over the top honesty there isn’t any surprises coming.

I’d say it’s a bargain for someone who has the time to do the clutch themselves. Very tempted.

Yeah I did consider getting the clutch done but at the end of the day it's just a bit small for a family with 3 kids in car seats, and a driver with a mild obsession with collecting 2 wheeled shit.

The clutch kit can be got new for £120, my tame mechanic said £180 labour to do it but then you'd be chancing the DMF. Hasn't juddered or rattled at all but a new one is about another £200 I reckon.

From past experience of doing a fwd A4 it shouldn't actually be that bad a job DIY, just not something I can accommodate right now.

That’d be an awesome tow machine with an auto box, but then again I’d suspect it would be worth a lot more if it was. Similar power to my discovery and only 700kgs less in towed weight. Mrs sutty would kill me if I put an Audi on the driveway.

Hmm, I went out of my way to get a manual as there are loads of autos out there with borked boxes.

Don't actually tow myself other than a little camping trailer so no idea which is better for that.

Sorry yes, all allroads were quattro, full time 4wd with mechanical diffs not haldex.

Some of the manuals had a low range option too, this one doesn't.

This is absolutely my kind of car but really don't have any need for yet another AWD estate. I will get back in an Audi one day but not atm, unless this does go to Roffle....GLWTS

I doubt that enough masochists would want £8.50 tickets for something fundamentally broken, but I guess you never know with this place?

How do you access the clutch on one of these, do you remove the engine or the gearbox? (Or both + interior, dashboard, windscreen etc)?

You can drop the box out from underneath. Obviously it's a big old unit as it contains the front and centre diffs.

Rough scheme of work would be:

Exhaust off inc. turbo downpipe

Prop off

Gear linkages off (from in car)

Disconnect sensors and shit

Unbolt front drive shafts

Unbolt box from engine and drop

The engine is mounted in front of the box, longitudinally, and the box starts about where the front wheels are so access to the box isn't bad as the bell housing is mostly in the bay. Might have to remove some scuttle shit to access the top bolts.

How do you access the clutch on one of these, do you remove the engine or the gearbox? (Or both + interior, dashboard, windscreen etc)?

Information on this is a bit thin on the ground from what I can find, but have found a few people listing costs of £800-£900 at main stealer, assuming £200 on bits that would suggest a 6-7hour job. Probably a weekend for an amateur so there can’t be toooooooo much disassembly need at a guess. For the purchase cost plus bits you could get one stonking motor for a weekends work.

As the full front ends come off these easily for access you might find it easier to pull the engine out to change the clutch. I'd certainly consider doing it that way

As the full front ends come off these easily for access you might find it easier to pull the engine out to change the clutch. I'd certainly consider doing it that way

If you buy it, you can fix it however you want :)

I did a clutch on an A4 TDI before, no 4wd but the same basic engine/box layout and I dropped the box from underneath, but yeah either would work.

Indeed. Despite the ad stating IN CAPITALS no offers, have had one message of "take 250 today".

Hopefully the fact that more than one person is after it will work in my favour, I will tell the first one before he comes I will walk away and offer it to the next one if he tries to chip me on the price.

Obviously he probably still will, then I can repeat that 3 times before deciding that life is too short and taking the £280 from removemycar.

150 today m8

Between the 3 after it who haven't made a derisory offer (yet), the one from this morning at 250 and a hot off the press one at 350, this makes you 6th in line.

(In all seriousness, I hope you manage to shift it for decent money, all of these are broken in different ways so it must have some value)

I kinda expected that. 

To be clear, I do actually have the thing listed on Gumtree, so don't need any Gumtree simulator over here ta. :)