Engine oil offers

Flat4

Quantum oil sold by Vag parts suppliers is a good oil (either castrol or fuchs depending on age of stock)

Synta is their 10w40 semi oil.

Available on ebay but not as cheap as I can get it direct

That's good to know coz it was one of the brands I was looking at.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5w-30-Fully-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-MB-229-3-229-5-Ford-M2C913C-20-Litre-20L/301505456751?hash=item4633202a6f:g:looAAOSwZVlXmJ7c

Anyone comment on this oil?

£45 for 20L of 5w30 Fully Synth.

The preferred drink of my Saab and C5 so would make for some cost effective servicing.

Preferred drink as in brand or as in grade? Pretty sure Millers and Fuchs esther synthetics are about the same price and my fellow Subaru owners won't use anything else in their cars. The GTB likes Fuchs the best and Opie usually have good deals periodically.

As it happens I went for the Gulf oil for the bus as the seller was eligible for the 10% off discount code which is running atm. 10l for under £25! I should maybe have stocked up for next year too but will see how it likes it first.

Quantum oil sold by Vag parts suppliers is a good oil (either castrol or fuchs depending on age of stock) 

Synta is their 10w40 semi oil.

Available on ebay but not as cheap as I can get it direct

Agreed.

With Quantum Platinum 5W40 synthetic coming in at £12.50 for 5l it's a pretty tall order to beat. I'm currently psyching myself up to try it in the 940 in May when a change is due rather than the 10W40 Semi that Volvo forum lickers seem to recommend.

• 4 weeks later...

ECP are doing 5 litres of QX 5/40 fully synthetic for £14.99 delivered at the moment if you order through eBay.

I can never work out why it’s cheaper on eBay than it is on there own website with a discount code.

Prices do fluctuate on a weekly basis though and it sometimes goes up to near £20.

I’ve been using the stuff in my cars for years and never had any troubles plus I did hear a rumour it’s rebranded shell helix plus it’s BMW LL01 so ideal for my old E36 and the R50 is getting some in the near future.

Also the local Tesco are doing 2 litres of Castrol 10/40 for £6 at the moment and I didn’t realise one bottle was enough for an oil change on a 3 pot daihatsui.

This isn't a bad deal, Shell fully synthetic 5W30 for £18.99... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Oil-SHELL-Helix-Ultra-Professional-AG-5W30-Fully-Synthetic-5L-5-Litres/292338926019?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Particularly useful for those needing C3/Dexos2 spec as many moderns do these days...

Opie oils have always undercut everywhere imo. 4 litres of Castrol 10/40 something or other and a Mahle filter for £20 and 6 litres of Fuchs Titan 5/40 and a filter for £35.

Brilliant.

If you don’t need it any time quickly.

I have found their delivery to be frustratingly slow.

Brilliant.

If you don’t need it any time quickly.

I have found their delivery to be frustratingly slow.

Oh and I found out tonight that theor 'service pack' is anything but as there was no filter (admittedly I didn't think to check).

Still really cheap for top quality oil.

I needed some 5w20 to top the mustang up , using one of the dfs type never ending ecp sale codes 4l of petronas oil was under £20

I was a bit shocked to see 1l of castrol edge for £21.99 in the local BP , that must be the oh shit price when you dip the oil on the forecourt and it's not even on the stick

I've only ever had to buy petrol station priced oil once 25 years ago , engine started making really horrible noises on a contract hired van that was only weeks off the end of the contract

I opened the bonnet and oil was pissing out of a big crack in the block , fuck

I thought I'm taking no chances on who's liable for that so before the breakdown came out I nipped over the road to the garage I'd handily broken down opposite and poured 2l In it

Breakdown came out , first thing he did was dip the oil, well it's still got oil in it

Really that's surprising with that big crack in the block

• 1 year later...

*Top quality 'Fanfaro' 10W40 on at £27 for 20l (4X5l) today on Ebay when using the PICK20OFF code...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x5L-FANFARO-TSX-10W-40-ACEA-A3-B4-Semi-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-API-SL/202951055708?hash=item2f40d3595c%3Ag%3AeqoAAOSwE89e0MUz&_trkparms=%26rpp_cid%3D5ecfcc068fb7dc17387f61ac

That works out at a staggering £6.75 per 5 litres. If I had anything that still used 10W40 I'd be all over this like a rash, alas I don't. For those that do, have at it!

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the Halfords shoutout.

I splashed the boat out and paid the extra £1.50 for the fully synthetic BMW VAG stuff and while at it got a new oil filter and air filter on the Golf as on orders over £20 you get free postage and the total bill came to £27.50 delivered 

You can also get 10 percent off with the code PAYDAY10 so actually the more expensive oil came in at £15.80.

I've been using Mannol stuff from eBay for everything for the past few years - coolant, oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid (including some quite specific stuff), hydraulic oil... not all from the same bottle of course! Haven't had a problem with any of it so far and it's great value, especially if you buy 10 or 20l at a time. They also do most manufacturer-specific stuff like low ash or PD oil, so it's not even a case of 'close enough'.

• 2 years later...

Bump to save creating a new thread.

Just noticed there is 20% off voucher on eBay. Two 5l bottles of 5w30 works out as £13.99 each posted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303136363917

The offer is a minimum spend of £20, so if you go for a single bottle, then you need to spend a bit more to get that 20%. Maybe find a seller that has an oil filter? Oil change for under 20quid then.