Old Cannock Auction Catalogs

Sloth in a bowl

This tread was started due to a request from Pillock to be able to scout through the detritus of auctions past.

I have various sheets from historic Cannock Auction Catalogs and will list them up in this thread as a historic record for future generations.

The order that stuff appears will be a bit random and the odd page may be missing here and there but lets start with December 2016.

post-17488-0-58003100-1553379887_thumb.jpg

post-17488-0-13110000-1553379945_thumb.jpg

post-17488-0-42047000-1553379956_thumb.jpg

post-17488-0-95492200-1553379965_thumb.jpg

Well I've only got as far as the first page.... Only one car is still on the road (the VW Golf for all you H8RS) and the average time between the auction and the tax expiring across all those vehicles where data is available was 195 days. As SORN no longer expires, it means that you don't know when it went onto SORN which ruins things a bit - before, when it was a year at a time you could see when it stopped being taxed.

Average price was £249.47 

And yes, this does involve a spreadsheet. I'm hoping to get this to a point where I can enter a bot powered by AI into the auction game and it will produce the perfect selection to win the game based on historic data.

DATA ANALYSIS COMPLETE. BOOP BLEEP.

So there were 84 cars sold in that auction. 11 of them are still on the road, so looking at that another way 87% of the cars sold that day are now most likely bean cans, as they have neither MOT nor tax.

The average lifespan of a car sold on that day was 372 days. Exactly 50% of the vehicles sold never had another MOT, 30% had just one more, and 20% had two or more. 14% weren't even on the road for one day after the auction, presumably bought to break (or abandoned in the carpark!)

7% of what they sold was clocked (whether or not it said so on the sheet), and 17% was on VCAR. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QDSEPqhnGApdXTmKKNtJWdsBRyDcnbn9UZFHr-EiE14/edit?usp=sharing

My middle name is Sagemaker.

So, I'm sure you're all wondering about July 2017. Exactly what was the average price paid for a fine* automobile? Well, that was just shy of £640, a little higher than December. Probably inflation or something. There were 94 cars went though that time, and a stonking 26 are still on the road! The quality seemed higher all round, more cars made it through their next MOT (although there was a dip in the number making it to three or more). Cars typically lasted 400 days.

I also threw another STAT-U-LIKE in there too, which is the "Regret Factor". It divides the price paid by the number of days between the auction date, and when the car became "off road" (through either MoT or tax expiring, whichever happened first). 

For example, the winner who got a year out of a £200 Streetwise has a RF of 55p which is pretty good. There was a 206 with an RF of 39p too.

Meanwhile, someone bought a Kia Sedona for £425 but only got 12 days out of it - that's a pretty high RF of £35.

I also found a Mondeo that flags up as Stolen (not clear if before or after the auction) so I'll probably get the cops kicking my neighbours door in at 2am, as it's his WiFi I'm using.