Can't bring myself to do it - help. Car I love.

motorpunk

This is utterly pathetic, but I'll stick it on here and hope that I never meet any of you in reality as it's a bit daft/personal and you'll laugh at me.

I own a 1990 MX5. I bought it in 2006, it was the cheapest one around because it was rusty. I taught my kids to drive in it when they were very young, I've been abroad in it, I've made films and done mag features with it, it's had a ton of money spent on it but it's still tatty because it's an ancient MX5. Had some good times with it with my (now) ex-wife, too. It drives nicer than anything I've ever owned (fancy stuff included). When I got divorced and was nearly-bankrupt I tried to sell it, chap offered the asking price, my daughter burst into tears and said "I always thought you'd drive me to church in that one day" and then I burst into tears and so did the buyer. Yeah, crap, I know. It's just a bloody car. So it lives in a rented lock-up, which costs me money, gets taxed and insured and every year I chuck money at it getting welded. It drives perfectly, all the brakes, suspension, hood, tyres, wings and subframes are all new/refurbed but the arches are scabby and it has a couple of electrical niggles which means I don't use it much any more. It sits in the lock-up, costing me money. 

I have a nicer, older classic car, and a reliable new car. And occasional use of a company van. And my GF has a nice new car. And I occasionally get press cars, too. I am lucky with cars. I'm also about to buy a VX220 (because I'd love a Lotus but can't afford one) which does everything the MX5 does. I have outdoor storage at home, no problem, but no more garage space and it will rot to nothing if left outside for months on end, I am sure. I really ought to sell the thing. It's not worth much, but the emotional ties are strong. I love this car, but logically it needs to go. It's just a car, right?

I can't bring myself to flog it - help. 

Sometimes sentiment is hard to push aside. We still have my in laws mk 3 granada - on SORN, garaged and not worth much.

Why have we kept it? My late father in law bought the car with an inheritance from his mother - she sold her house to go into a home and wanted her sons to enjoy the money while she was still around. Also, my father in law needed a wheelchair as he had lost the use of his legs - the car was his pride and joy and his independance - he was happiest behind the wheel.

Sometimes you can't let things go.

£40 a month and you don't use it? That's mental.

I've changed my stance on this after thinking about it overnight. Despite a restoration four years ago, it's now sitting, unloved. You're replacing it with something more focused that you will care about more, you've moved on.

As someone who doesn't miss his V Spec at all, how much are you after for it?

Sounds like we can all help each other out here.

I'll kick the trailer out the garage, and look after the 5.

This will free up space for the MR2 Rich was looking for in the first place.

Sorted

I had a 61 Herald, that I'd had for nearly 10 years, in all that time I only ever moved it from storage to storage, my friend, who came to my rescue at the last min when I lost my storage, offered me £400 for it and the chance of a drive in it when it's done, he has no kids and a double garage so I'm sure it'll get done!

I didn't want to sell it at all but I knew under my ownership it was just going to be moved from storage to storage with no time to do it and costing me a chunk of money every month. I sold it, it was a sad day. 

Maybe it's time to pass this one on for someone else to make memories. 

I'd love to gift it to my daughters, but insurance for young uns is off the scale for stuff like this, and they'd still need somewhere to store it so I am no better off.

I drove the VX220 today, fully expecting to buy it, but there was an unexpected problem with the engine and it didn't thrill me as I expected so I didn't buy it (seller was a lovely chap and apologetic about the problem). Maybe I'll chuck some more money at the MX5 and use it a bit more. I need to get it's lights fixed (needs a new rear loom).

I could really use a decent, honest auto electrician in the East Midlands - any recommendations?

The length of your first post is the answer. Keep hold of it but actually use it. It's only a machine, they go bust occasionally but can always be mended. You like it and have a bond with it. If you get another in the future it won't be this one

Keep it and use it.

You clearly don't want to get rid of it, so will regret it even if the potential replacement is 'better', and even if in time you form a similar attachment with the new one you're always going to wish you still had the MX-5.

I understand the 'it's just a car' reasoning, but it's never that simple, there's nearly always an element of sentiment unless you're taking about something really white-goodsy, which this obviously isn't-it's a second/third car that you own because you like it, not because it's the sensible choice as 'an car'.

I have felt sentimental about cars I've had for a long time and fretted about them before getting rid.

When they've gone though, that's it and I haven't thought about them (in that emotionally attached way) again.

It feels easier to scrap them than sell them in my experience.   (No moral qualms about funerals like there are about divorces?)

Keep it.

I've owned our MR2 for almost 4 years now, and I've just bought a Z4 as I had an itch. Z4 is a fantastic car, but it's a totally different beast to the MR2.

I'm parking the '2 on the drive and will review the situation at the end of the summer after putting the Z4 properly through its paces.

Thing is, like your MX5, the MR2 is virtually worthless, holds huge sentimental value, and is part of the family.

Longer term, I think I'll try and clear the garage out, build a decent shed to house the existing contents, and store the MR2 properly. I'll come back to it one day.

Your and my cars are both a maximum of couple of MOTs away from being more valuable as a source of spares.

Ask yourself this - would you be happy with selling the MX5 in the knowledge that it's HIGHLY likely it won't last for much longer, and that you'll probably never see it again?

What a great story, not daft at all. You should keep it, bet there's not a person out there who could offer you enough money to make it a no-brainer sale.

Don't sell it. Like others said, you can buy another mx5 in the future but it won't be the same thing. I have owned a 1.0 Polo for 13 years and I will never be able to sell it. I am putting £1000's into a car that's worth about £400. I am happy with my decision making as not other car can make me as happy!

Thanks for the replies. It seems like it’s a keeper, then.

I’ve ordered a temperature sensor and sourced some trim it needs. I started it for the first time in maybe 3 months today. Starts and runs instantly. I need to repair the wiring loom after mice munched on it a few years ago and left me with some fritzy things. It’s a dash out job but DIYable.

I’ve bodged this thing along for over a decade, didn’t change the oil for 10 years, for example, on the basis that its next MOT might be its last. Saved about £500 on that over the years but relented last year. Old oil was like marmite. Engine still runs nicely!

I’ll stick up some pics if anyone is interested, it’s got quite a history, this thing.