Colours

pompei

Is that a similar shade to laquered primer they keep churning out. I fucking hate that colour, it makes me think they simply couldn’t be arsed to paint and said “fuck it just laquer the primer”

Yes, that's the one.

Can we for a moment turn our attention to the blandness of the inside as well as the outside.

Apart from Nissan in the early 2000's car manufacturers seem to have lost their mojo sometime in the very early 90's and have been churning out soul crushingly depressing interiors since then. Places that suck the very life out of you.

Citroens colour and trim chart apart from the splash of knife fight red is a totally depressing monochromatic souls sucking palate of shades of shit.

Compare this to the fine places to sit from the past - not only the use of velour and velvet but the vibrancy of the colours and patterns. Everything from the luxurious crushed velvet blue of the GSA inviting you to arrive unhurried relaxed and calm to the poptastic tartans offered by Triumph, Ford, Vauxhall and others stimulating you and making the driving experience fun and exciting. The 80'and early 90s brought forth a time of exuberance and excess, the black and red stripes were very on fleek and made the driver feel that his drive was a sporting experience. Close your eyes and you could truly be Colin McRae or Louise Aitkin Walker.

Even pensioner spec trim options had more colour and texture to them making stains harder to spot and still lifting the interior into a warm and inviting environment.

Ive come to the conclusion that sponsored by governments that motor manufacturers actually want to turn driving into a soul crushing experience and put people off sitting behind the wheel of a car. By making the interior dark and dismal and the exterior nondescript and bland motoring is no longer an exciting way of getting from A to B. And heavens above no one would seriously think of just "going for a drive" now, thats almost the social equivalence of beating baby a seals to death and smearing your neighbours kids faces with its blood. Seriously, who would just go for a drive now? Havent you heard about the greenhouse effect?

No, I think this whole bland paint palate and interior of grey, grey and more grey is a design to get people to fall out of love with their cars.

post-18231-0-01293800-1553120610_thumb.jpg

post-18231-0-73101300-1553120620_thumb.jpeg

post-18231-0-34478700-1553120632_thumb.jpg

post-18231-0-76675400-1553120643_thumb.jpg

post-18231-0-42432600-1553120655_thumb.jpg

post-18231-0-15109600-1553120666_thumb.jpg

post-18231-0-19964900-1553120675_thumb.jpg

Dacia's current new car range has a disappointing choice of colours for the 'non Stepway' Sandero & Access. :-( Well the Stepway models add 'Azurite blue' to the pallette. You can order a Duster in 'desert Orange' which I like very much.

You get default white. For an extra £495: cosmos blue, slate grey, mink (brown!) or pearl black. They used to offer a shade of red on the pre-facelift models but unfortunately it seems Dacia consider this too exhilerating on a no frills family car.

I bet even 30 years ago Lada had a better range colours!

RS2000 paint colours for the UK, 1976 - 80. Nice selection of solid colours.

xyLcY1f.jpg

Missing from the above is Riviera blue (79) which was a brighter blue than Nordic blue.

No grey, graphite, silver, gold, misty blue, etc. No metallics at all available.

There was a one-off factory car in metallic Roman bronze with auto transmission made for Henry Ford II (??) to use in 1976. (pics on internet if anyone's interested)

I know of a Jupiter red metallic one but it was sprayed that colour during a resto some years ago.

We’ve got a company van scheme at work. A shade* over 300 a month gets you a brand new Merc Vito 119 sport (insured,taxed,repairs included). Two guys so far have had one. Both silver. I’ve asked what colours are available. Silver or black. YAWN.

I long for a day that we get seat fabrics back. Tartans, pashas, checks, stripes, paisleys, Racing Crayons, tweeds, Something that someone has sat down and designed. Something that makes you smile when you open the car door. Something that makes it a nice place to be. What do we have now? From the Americas and the far east greasy leathers that make you think you'll never feel clean again. From Europe we have the same flat, joyless, may as well be plastic leather and from the premium manufacturers the only thing they can do is quilt everything and make it look more like a bondage dungeon. Great. Once upon a time it was the plebs that had to put up with leather while the posh boys got cloth. Go and look at pictures of Voisins and try not to go "wow" at their unbelievably expensive interiors. We've already had the TR7 and Chevette HS but just to add a few more to remind people what we miss today.

Tartan for the common man.

6269.jpg

It is acknowledged that the S1 Esprit wasn't a brilliant car. However, who cares when you were sitting here waiting to be towed back to the garage.

JeffsEsprit_016.jpg

My personal favourite.

Pages_Events_Devek2004_Pasha1.jpg

But they could do tartan too.

3fef9cdee65ef992657555bf20921f71.jpg

Even the Italians could do it right.

f631a6387256d03963a769123d9b2a4b661c0904

Shock! Horror! A top of the range car without leather seats? Surely not.

citroen-bx-4.jpg

Cloth takes colour so much better. Big bold colours. Do this with leather and you look like an escapee from the Thriller video.

1974-citroen-cx-2200-super-interior-seat

What comes after awesome? What ever it is it looks like this

73cfcbb578ea6c372479e1e17dcdc129.jpg

Not quite as awesome but I'll still take it over any leather interior

160320101001.jpg

Remember when Discoveries were light, roomy, airy things with country cloth seats to match? You know, before they turned to shit.

03_land_rover_discovery.jpg

Perhaps the problem is that we peaked too soon.

Mar19_1934_Voisin_C27_Aerosport_interior

fb2648da04e3fc687c0ee2eb0e4bc2ce.jpg

DSC_0268.JPG

Nice seats can help even promising if slightly unreliable trains...

IMG_2329+r.jpg

I'm not suggesting that every interior has to look like a migraine looking for somewhere to happen but you can do so much with cloth. In these days when cars look almost exactly the same surely cloth would allow a low risk way of expressing a brand's personality. Give people the option of some pretty colours and patterns without the unpleasant greasy feel.

You may say I'm a dreamer etc etc...

With new cars the premiums they charge for anything other than black, white, silver or Red is bonkers!

“Would sir like an outlandish colour, well sir better have a deep wallet!”

But there does se to be a return to a metallic sludge brown on French cars lately... Old cars in brown, absolutely. Modern ones... no thanks

post-18217-0-83994700-1553258094_thumb.jpeg

What about that metallic pink that Honda offered the Jizz in a few years ago...

3303771897_198de6ac64_z.jpg?zz=1

Mk1 Jazz was released in 2001, early ones can legally buy a pint. Bit more than a few years ago :D

Though the current Mk3 jazz can be had in some nice colours, like that fluorescent jacket yellow and brick orange.

I think certain colours belong on certain cars.

There is a particular shade of blue which should only be on an invacar.

Bright orange is for Bond Bugs.

Harvest gold on anything other than a maxi is wrong.

JRG on a Lexus LS400

Any others spring to mind?

Hearing aid beige on a triumph acclaim

Forgive me for this but last year I looked at the option of a new Kia Carens.

(Company car allowance scheme and in need of many seats. Didn't do it in the end..)

The Carens is available in white, black or two shades of silver.

Dull dull dull.

Each colour offered requires "VALIDATION" that is will it survive the 500 hour salt for test and UV light tests egg.

Also will it require extra stock and extra change over times and extra cleaning.

So much cheaper to validate one colour and never do a change over.

Accountants verses stylists.