Colours

pompei

I read recently that maroon is the worst colour for depreciation, whilst white cars keep their value better.  My old Merc is maroon but given its age I doubt that this will have any impact if/when I come to sell.

Anyway, does the trade have names for desirable/undesirable hues?  The only one I can think of is "doom blue".

...from when I used to sell a few cars second hand; 'as a hobbie'; id say metallic gold; or silver with a 'gold hue' cars were often the hardest to shift; even if they were good n decent cars; never any issue with a maroon car; always sold quickly; even flat maroon's 'back in the day' - red's - resale 'red, as they say.... light silver cars n white cars here, did sell but it was never a case of their colours selling them; if they were decent cars they'd sell - the mutts in silver n white could 'hang around' n often become 'landmarks...

...the easiest cars; in terms of colours, that always used to sell quick; in my experience; were purples; always seemed to be someone for that colour; the quickest to sell.... tho this is years ago; I never buy a car based on colour; personally- for my own use; so as a result Ive owned a lot of grey/metallic grey n white cars; if they looked n drove like decent cars, id do the deal...

Theres some myth about Green cars; most likely to have an accident or something - of the green cars ive had- either my own or for resale; all have been trouble; so its green cars being the 'bogey ones' for me ....

Wonder how long the current fashion for Filing Cabinet Grey will last? Don't get it myself, but then I'm old enough for it to remind me of my dad's old relentlessly-perforating Anglia 105E...

Is that a similar shade to laquered primer they keep churning out. I fucking hate that colour, it makes me think they simply couldn’t be arsed to paint and said “fuck it just laquer the primer”

Theres some myth about Green cars; most likely to have an accident or something - of the green cars ive had- either my own or for resale; all have been trouble; so its green cars being the 'bogey ones' for me ....

This is why I’ve never bought a green car.

I did try once, to attempt to prove to myself that it was just a myth and bought an 850 T5 in green. It turned out to have been sold under false pretences (owner knowing full well that the turbo was passing hideous amounts of oil) so he had that one back. Never again.

Forgive me for this but last year I looked at the option of a new Kia Carens.

(Company car allowance scheme and in need of many seats. Didn't do it in the end..)

The Carens is available in white, black or two shades of silver.

Dull dull dull.

Dull indeed!  The only reason our new Suzuki is white (other option being black) rather than the red we wanted, is that we would have had to wait several weeks for a red one.  We didn't want to do that.  However in 2021 I know now to approach the dealer a few weeks early so a red one can be supplied!