Saab 9-3 Advice wanted

Steve79

I'm on a bit of a mission to slightly (only very slightly though) thin my collection of tat. First on the list is my XJ8 sport which hasn't been touched in about four months and isn't likely to moving forward and the Rover 75 will probably follow suit shortly after.

The reason for this is that whilst the XJ8 and 75 provide speed and comfort, neither provide the levels of excitement i wish for, so i want to replace both with just one car.

I've found myself gravitating towards Saabs again, particularly 9-3's of the petrol turbo variety or possibly a 9-5 turbo estate. I've had a 9-5 estate which was sold to to djoptix so i'm familiar with these but i really like the look of the 9-3's from 03' onwards and wanted to know if anyone on here has had any experience of them.

I know that Karl at Noobtune can remap the 1.8t and 2.0t to 220bhp for under £100 which is a major factor.

Cheers in advance!

I know these are good for about 350-400bhp on stock internals with the various intercooler and turbo upgrades, but 220bhp is a good starting point.

I had a look a few weeks ago at a 2007 9-3 vector sport estate which ticked all of the boxes but then i checked the tax - £540 fecking pounds a year!!!!

The reason for this is that whilst the XJ8 and 75 provide speed and comfort, neither provide the levels of excitement i wish for, so i want to replace both with just one car.

I've found myself gravitating towards Saabs again, particularly 9-3's of the petrol turbo variety or possibly a 9-5 turbo estate. I've had a 9-5 estate which was sold to to djoptix so i'm familiar with these but i really like the look of the 9-3's from 03' onwards and wanted to know if anyone on here has had any experience of them.

Cant help with the 9-3, but just wanted to mention we must have be spilt at birth.

I've been having the same thoughts as you for a while for a 9-5 Aero estate, and even asked on the UK Saabs forum a while ago if anyone had one and fancied a swap.

What makes it amusing is that I own an XJ6 and Rover 75 estate as well.

Cant see me getting rid of the 75, but think the XJ6 will shortly be up for sale on here.

Not sure if you have seen it (and its not an estate), but there looks a really well cared for 9-5 (Aero ish) on UK Saabs at the moment for £800.

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=194646

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=170947

Cant help with the 9-3, but just wanted to mention we must have be spilt at birth.

I've been having the same thoughts as you for a while for a 9-5 Aero estate, and even asked on the UK Saabs forum a while ago if anyone had one and fancied a swap.

What makes it amusing is that I own an XJ6 and Rover 75 estate as well.

Cant see me getting rid of the 75, but think the XJ6 will shortly be up for sale on here.

Not sure if you have seen it (and its not an estate), but there looks a really well cared for 9-5 (Aero ish) on UK Saabs at the moment for £800.

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=194646

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=170947

Only reason for me considering an estate 9-5 is the practicality with its HUGE loadspace. The only downside to 9-5 ownership is when the stepper motors for the aircon inevitably strip their cogs which is a pain in the arse. Like the spec on that 9-5 on uksaabs, but the colour - jesus wept!

From a 9-3 point of view, i just really like the way they look but i think i'm being too fussy on the spec. There's an 03' 1.8t (120bhp) linear (biscuit base) spec auto near me with 120k on the clock, 3mths mot for £450 but only has manual aircon, whereas i want full climate control - yep i'm being THAT picky as i like toys!

Tempted to have a look at it to see if i can overcome my prejudice against twisty knob air.

i'm also keep finding myself looking at this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903095730088?advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=bs309ss&sort=sponsored&make=SAAB&radius=1500&page=1

I know its not a petrol but its pretty good value for something which probably just needs a wheel bearing.

I've have a 9-3 1.8t Vector Sport. Great mile muncher as others as said, and has proven reliable for the 30K miles I've done in it.

Don't expect too much feedback from the steering wheel, but it has prodigious grip (This is on the Factory spec tyres).

It has the 1.8t, B207E (its actually a 2.0 litre turbo) and is rated at 150 bhp and 177 lbs/ft torque from factory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9-3

I get 35-37 MPG.

. There's an 03' 1.8t (120bhp) linear (biscuit base) spec auto near me with 120k on the clock, 3mths mot for £450 but only has manual aircon, wher bearing.

The 1.8t is 150bhp, which is actually 2.0l engine. There is a 1.8 120bhp that is non turbo and actually 1.8 - not driven one but specs suggest it slow and miserable and I doubt it’s very tuneable. It’s might only be 30bjp less but the torque is massively less. - 123lb/ft where the 1.8t has 177.

I also had a 1.8t, not the fastest car, but power delivery was smooth and Progressive through the rev range.

Only reason for me considering an estate 9-5 is the practicality with its HUGE loadspace. The only downside to 9-5 ownership is when the stepper motors for the aircon inevitably strip their cogs which is a pain in the arse. Like the spec on that 9-5 on uksaabs, but the colour - jesus wept!

From a 9-3 point of view, i just really like the way they look but i think i'm being too fussy on the spec. There's an 03' 1.8t (120bhp) linear (biscuit base) spec auto near me with 120k on the clock, 3mths mot for £450 but only has manual aircon, whereas i want full climate control - yep i'm being THAT picky as i like toys!

Tempted to have a look at it to see if i can overcome my prejudice against twisty knob air.

i'm also keep finding myself looking at this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903095730088?advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=bs309ss&sort=sponsored&make=SAAB&radius=1500&page=1

I know its not a petrol but its pretty good value for something which probably just needs a wheel bearing.

The 120bhp 1.8 will not be a turbo engine. In fact its not even a Saab engine, its the hopeless heap of GM shit they put in the Vectra Cs. Completely different lineage to the Saab lumps. Those base spec cars were pretty much chucked out dirt cheap for the fleet and rental market. Not particularly reliable engines and the fuel economy is worse than the turbos. Given the turbo petrols and diesels can be had for not much more, I'd personally avoid those 1.8 petrols.

That cheap one above, just make sure its had its fluid changes. If it hasn't, get it up to temperature and make sure it changes smoothly while hot.

I've got a 2004 9-3 1.8t Linear that I bought at 100k miles from Vantman of this parish. Its now on 160k with no problems at all, other than needing an alternator replaced as the bearing broke up. i got the belt and tensioner(s) done at the same time for peace of mind.

Otherwise its had routine servicing at my expert* hands, plus an ATF change at 140k which did improve the smoothness of gearchanges.

Fantastic car, comfortable, fast, smooth and realtively easy to work on. I have never found it wanting for power but as others have said, £100 with get you a noobtune which gives you about 50% more power.

It is the only car that my wife, a complete non-car person has ever expressed any opinion on, and she loves it. She has explictly forbidden me from selling it, and when I've mentioned that its getting on and a blown turbo or something may be uneconomical to repair simply replied with 'we'll just get another 9-3 then'.

0-60 times are not the point of Saab ownership, but the 40-80 time is very impressive. with the autobox (AW55) its just a lovely wave of lazy torque from about 2000 rpm through to 4000 where it changes up if you're pushing it. 70mph is 2200rpm.

Around town it gets about 25-28mpg. I can get 40mpg on a run from a 2.0 turbo auto petrol which is pretty good IMHO. see my sig for a long term fuel economy figure over about 50k/5 years.

Where are you? More than happy to let you take mine for a day if you wanted to see how you get on. One thing I;d say is that to begin with they are a bit bland, it takes time to notice how well thought out they are. I nearly sold mine after 3 months, after 12 months I wasn't so keen to do so! its been the longest I've ever owned a car, and I see no reason to get rid of it until something terrible happens to it making it seriously uneconomical to repair. In which case I'll get another one to replace it.

The 120bhp 1.8 will not be a turbo engine. In fact its not even a Saab engine, its the hopeless heap of GM shit they put in the Vectra Cs. Completely different lineage to the Saab lumps. Those base spec cars were pretty much chucked out dirt cheap for the fleet and rental market. Not particularly reliable engines and the fuel economy is worse than the turbos. Given the turbo petrols and diesels can be had for not much more, I'd personally avoid those 1.8 petrols.

That cheap one above, just make sure its had its fluid changes. If it hasn't, get it up to temperature and make sure it changes smoothly while hot.

Yep got figures wrong way round, its definitely the 150bhp i was looking at.

I've got a 2004 9-3 1.8t Linear that I bought at 100k miles from Vantman of this parish. Its now on 160k with no problems at all, other than needing an alternator replaced as the bearing broke up. i got the belt and tensioner(s) done at the same time for peace of mind.

Otherwise its had routine servicing at my expert* hands, plus an ATF change at 140k which did improve the smoothness of gearchanges.

Fantastic car, comfortable, fast, smooth and realtively easy to work on. I have never found it wanting for power but as others have said, £100 with get you a noobtune which gives you about 50% more power.

It is the only car that my wife, a complete non-car person has ever expressed any opinion on, and she loves it. She has explictly forbidden me from selling it, and when I've mentioned that its getting on and a blown turbo or something may be uneconomical to repair simply replied with 'we'll just get another 9-3 then'.

0-60 times are not the point of Saab ownership, but the 40-80 time is very impressive. with the autobox (AW55) its just a lovely wave of lazy torque from about 2000 rpm through to 4000 where it changes up if you're pushing it. 70mph is 2200rpm.

Around town it gets about 25-28mpg. I can get 40mpg on a run from a 2.0 turbo auto petrol which is pretty good IMHO. see my sig for a long term fuel economy figure over about 50k/5 years.

Where are you? More than happy to let you take mine for a day if you wanted to see how you get on. One thing I;d say is that to begin with they are a bit bland, it takes time to notice how well thought out they are. I nearly sold mine after 3 months, after 12 months I wasn't so keen to do so! its been the longest I've ever owned a car, and I see no reason to get rid of it until something terrible happens to it making it seriously uneconomical to repair. In which case I'll get another one to replace it.

That a really generous offer, i'm in Bristol so probably quite a way from you.

I think i'll have a look at a few tomorrow to get a better idea of what i really want.