*actual progress klaxon* 205 Jr 2.0 HDI Build

reb

Absolutely bugger all has happened with this because I couldn't figure out what to actually approach first, so I did nothing. Not exactly productive.

Today I set out to rip the loom out of the 307 in order to enact my bodge-tastic plan of just running the 307 loom to run the engine and leaving the 205 loom to do everything else. For various reasons it has emerged that this is absolutely a terrible plan.

So, back to trying to figure out how to get the engine to run without the BSI/immobiliser chip. I found a fairly comprehensive technical manual for the SID801 injection system that includes a pinout list for the ECU, this paired with the scary task of opening the ECU and reprogramming a chip *should* allow me to get it to run. Maybe. Hopefully.

That's the only genuine unknown that needs to be overcome now, everything else is just getting air and fluids where they need to be without getting in the way of anything else.

The outlet on the turbo and the lower engine mount are trying to occupy the same space, but that's just a case of clocking the housing at least. I'd hoped to be able to do so in situ, but while it's probably technically possible, that's probably a very bad plan.

This month may actually see it fire!

1 hour ago, captain_70s said:

They day they put computers in cars was the day they all went bad.

PHACT*

You're not wrong there. The issue I'm coming across is that the systems are all designed to be assembled quickly on a production line, it's all very modular and clever, but the modules are all a bit too integrated with eachother to really repurpose without going a bit too far modifying them. Thankfully my aspie brain is quite good at churning over problems as a background task so I can think over the system while I'm going about other things.

I have to admit I started to go down the M-HDI route in my head, as in replacing the common rail system with a mechanical Bosch pump. Alas that'd get rather expensive and complicated for what's meant to be a cheap way to stuff more go into an old car.

I'm reading The Truth by Terry Pratchett right now, there's a moment of realisation the main character has that he's doing things because they're the things he's ended up doing. Young men in sheds have shaped the world more than any king or ruler ever could. I had a point, but I forgot it. Oh well.

Removing the immobilizer is apparently very easy, but I'm not quite sure how to do it and I'd rather not brick either of my ECUs since they're both matching HW and SW numbers and I doubt I'll be able to find another spare as cheap as this one was.

I think the thing to do will be send one to HDI-Tuning to be unlocked, remapped and EGR deleted in one fell swoop. For now I think the 125hp map is probably the way to go, with the view to getting the other one mapped for 155hp at a later date. 

Stage 1 gets you 125hp and mid-200nm, fairly respectable in a tiny puglet I think. The stage 2 gets you 155hp, imo a ludicrous amount, but get this: ~330nm! Absolutely mental! Gearbox, tyre and turbo munching mental! Hence if I do get such a map it won't live in the car all of the time, as I don't fancy using up a pair of front tyres every time I go for a blast.

Numbers like that make the C2 look like a slouch!

• 4 months later...

A small update in that it has become apparent that the current fitting of the engine and gearbox has to be considered a test fit as things need fettling that, while possible, will be an absolute pain to do in place.

Current todo list:

- Rotate turbo compressor housing away from lower engine mount. This involves fitting a wastegate actuator from a 306, which is currently on my coffee table.

- Swap coolant outlet on the back of the engine for the XUD one.

- Remove the fuel filter housing and associated bollocks from the front of the engine. This is a step I'd be taking anyway for neatness, but will also simplify the cooling circuit. Hopefully.

- Recover turbo exhaust flange for the purposes of building a downpipe.

- Give everything a good clean, it's definitely seeping oil from somewhere so it'd be nice to identify where from.

- Replace clutch release bearing since it got dropped in the dirt a couple of times and bollocks to pulling everything again in 6 months to replace it.

- Figure out how to get coolant and air/boost to everywhere it needs to be. Thankfully the engine was used in a diverse enough range of cars there's ample sources for bits of pipework to bodge.

- Either modify the steering rack to remove the PAS, bodge in an EPAS pump from something more modern or replace the rack with a manual one. Not sure on this one yet.

- The big one: acquire an unlocked ECU and figure out how to interface the throttle pedal with said ECU. I believe I've got most of the understanding I need to get it to run, if I was going to do it again I'd probably have left the engine in the 307 until I had it running without being connected to the cars electronics but such is life.

Not the worst list in the world I don't think, and mostly time rather than money. Will it ever turn a wheel again? We can only wait and see!

I hope to have it back on the road by April. That'll require quite a bit of motivation to actually get off my arse and sort stuff out! I've loaned my engine stand to a mate to build the engine for his 400hp turbot civic, so unless he gets that done soon I'll be working on the engine on a pallet again.

I've been keeping an eye on upullit and ebay for a 306 or similar with the same engine to rob a bosch injection system from since it seems to be immesurably easier to work with.

Another option as I mentioned up there is a mechanical pump, but that would mean swapping to a 16v head and all of the faff and £££ that'd involve.

Where's the fun in that though? It's been a lack of time/money/warmth/light that's delayed it rather than any real technical difficulty, I don't think changing to an XUD would make much difference. And it's also been done too many times for me, I might as well PCP a golf and put ebay coilovers on it at that point.

• 4 months later...

I'm going to bump this to give people a chance to catch up on the (lack of) progress, I know that I need to! The next few days I'm going to put in the time it needs to move to the next stage. If anyone has a trailer and would be able to help me move it and the donor car across to the unit once I've bolted everything back together enough to roll around it'd be much appreciated. I have access to a suitable towing vehicle and suitably licensed driver, but neither of us have a car trailer!

I say that's my plan, knowing me I'll get distracted and end up trying to fire the bastard thing up!

None of us like reading "I'm going to do X" though, so I'm off to go and do things so I can come here and say "I've done X"!

On 1/4/2020 at 2:36 AM, reb said:

My woodshed looks like the set of that sketch right now. Supply through usual channels has dried up recently though, will have to scrounge more.

Just noticed this. Have you tried a scavenging permit from the forestry commission? It can be hit or miss but if you find a good site with some birch you can fill a woodshed in a few trips for 50 quid a year. When I lived in Inverkeithing there were a few sites around 10-15 mins drive away. On one site round the back of dunfermline I filled a vivaro with nearly dry birch several times. Once split and stacked it lasted me 2 and a half years and burned like rocket fuel.

7 hours ago, reb said:

It's going from my house to my unit, less than 10 miles.

Wouldn't you be cheaper, quicker and easier getting one of these small 'dial-a-recovery' operations to do it? For cash, booked in advance for a quiet time might get it down to £40-50.

On 5/13/2020 at 6:18 PM, captain_70s said:

I seem to recall @davidfowler2000 rented a trailer from somewhere for something silly like £40 a day to shift his 205.

£47 including insurance for a 24hr hire from Stirling Trailer Centre. Proper 24hr. Can be overnight.