*actual progress klaxon* 205 Jr 2.0 HDI Build

reb

17 hours ago, reb said:

It turns out I made a dangerous assumption about the ECU, it is in fact a SID801 which it appears isn't really at all easy to remove the immobiliser from. Therefore plan A involving bodgery and gaffer tape is go. At this point I just want it running, so am happy enough to just mount everything in a box in the footwell or something to deal with later. Unfortunately this probably means having to program out the alarm, I think? Maybe just bodge it so all the sensors and switches are permanently in a state of "everything is fine". I think I have a decent amount of time this weekend and next week, so this all may happen rather quickly without too much in the way of in-progress updates. The interesting bit will be uprating the rest of the car to cope with its new found torques I suppose.

Apologies that there's a lot of "maybe I'll do this" and not a lot of "I did this"!

If you still have a way to connect to the ECU via OBD, could you use an MPPS cable to remap the ECU and get the immobiliser/EGR deleted by these guys? https://www.hdi-tuning.co.uk/ecu-remapping/how-it-works.html it's £100, but the stage 2 remap at 155bhp would be amusing. I used them for my 307 and was very happy with the service.

Edit: sorry, I see this has already been suggested. As you were, good luck with the build!

Edited by Tepper

12 minutes ago, snagglepuss said:

I have got a 120 remapped ECU if the numbers fit - already tuned by HDI tuning.  Sure we could do a deal on it.

It's got the egr and imboliser delete already done.

That'd be absolutely perfect, I have the existing ECU on my kitchen table right now so can check numbers when I finish work today!

Alas it seems my ECU is completely different, I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to make out numbers on it before realising the connector is different!

20190504_130401.thumb.jpg.2fa084cf57c2cc04e9f807720a43d64d.jpg

I suppose I'll have to get in contact with HDI Tuning soon and see what they can do for me.

• 2 weeks later...

What do I do with the AC compressor and condenser? Obviously it's not being retained, and it's completely removed from the engine, Haynes keeps telling me to under no circumstances ever disconnect the refrigerant lines. Realistically though is there likely to be any refrigerant left after 16 years? It'd be handy to have it out of the way of swinging the engine out.

• 3 weeks later...

Some slightly scary progress...

20190604_173322.thumb.jpg.512764b565e6b0c1cb60dc91b1165232.jpg

Easy does it...

20190604_173858.thumb.jpg.78d10866918cb321fb470712e42c30c8.jpg

Success!

20190604_174245.thumb.jpg.7c7a0eceb4f9ac88247258c1aaba4ec2.jpg

Gearbox robbed

20190604_183439.thumb.jpg.60887b2c29a2b3b278a9e3dfa3e5a354.jpg

20190604_183435.thumb.jpg.2f35023c5719d6c8c40e845649c5bca8.jpg

SPANNER IN THE WORKS

20190604_192304.thumb.jpg.1eeca9b1401f94c459dcb7ea8147495c.jpg

Rudimentary measuring showed that the mounting holes for the alloy mount from the XUD existed on the HDi block. Actually trying to fit it showed this is in fact not the case. The cast iron mount from the 307 is obviously completely wrong. I'm reliably informed that a 306 HDi bottom mount should fit, there were only two on eBay and both were in foreignland. Both slightly more expensive than I'd really like, but the one I bought is brand new and seemingly coming from a legit parts supplier rather than a bloke in his shed.

On the plus side, the gearbox went onto the HDi absolutely no problem, there was even a hole in the bellhousing for the flywheel sensor! It'll be coming off again today so we can put the engine on a stand to do the timing belt.

Keith goes home to Orkney for summer very soon, so I lose a convenient extra pair of hands which is slightly annoying. That means that the plan is to fit the engine without the lower mount for now. Engine and box came out as one, but it was oh so tight, so we'll be lifting them in separately this time as some of the angles involved coming out will be impossible going in. That's the plan for this evening.

I think this weekend will see it at the stage that all that's left to make it drive is fit the mount and shafts! Of course making it roadworthy will involve piping the exhaust gases away from the engine bay, but that should be easy.

Also, this happened:

20190605_145647.thumb.jpg.e711a804eeffc83215573e95e4d6ff54.jpg

This 3t jack makes being lazy so much easier. I do have to wonder what the insurance engineer that came to look at the Volvo that day thought of the various automotive madness going on in the yard.

Looking at the completely bare engine bay in my pride and joy definitely induced a little bit of panic because I know about my tendency to put things off and I'd rather it didn't become one of those projects that never turns a wheel again. Double panic when the extent of the mounts not fitting was realised. Fortunately I'm hung up on the desire to have something genuinely quick that I built with my own two hands, so it WILL be done as soon as reasonable!

Some good money news came immediately after I posted too, so with some careful budgeting I can do a couple of extra things I was planning on delaying a while.

With that in mind, what colour should I paint the brake calipers? They'll be under the 307 wheels (on lower profile tyres so they clear everything, that's all worked out) and since they're from the 307 will fill the wheels. I'm torn between blue, red or black, possibly silver for that OEM look. I'm also torn between white and primer grey for the wheels.

5 minutes ago, reb said:

They'll be under the 307 wheels (on lower profile tyres so they clear everything, that's all worked out) and since they're from the 307 will fill the wheels.

Test fit the wheels first - from memory, 307 wheels share the same offset as 206's which is wrong for a 205 and will sit too far inwards, fouling the rear trailing arm on the back and possibly the strut on the front.

28 minutes ago, reb said:

Looking at the completely bare engine bay in my pride and joy definitely induced a little bit of panic because I know about my tendency to put things off and I'd rather it didn't become one of those projects that never turns a wheel again. Double panic when the extent of the mounts not fitting was realised. Fortunately I'm hung up on the desire to have something genuinely quick that I built with my own two hands, so it WILL be done as soon as reasonable!

Some good money news came immediately after I posted too, so with some careful budgeting I can do a couple of extra things I was planning on delaying a while.

With that in mind, what colour should I paint the brake calipers? They'll be under the 307 wheels (on lower profile tyres so they clear everything, that's all worked out) and since they're from the 307 will fill the wheels. I'm torn between blue, red or black, possibly silver for that OEM look. I'm also torn between white and primer grey for the wheels.

Leave any kind of distraction like painting. Just concentrate on the swap.

You’ll be cleaning the fridge next...

22 minutes ago, Anthony said:

23 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Test fit the wheels first - from memory, 307 wheels share the same offset as 206's which is wrong for a 205 and will sit too far inwards, fouling the rear trailing arm on the back and possibly the strut on the front.

Yes, they need brought out a little bit so I need spacers, something I'm not completely happy with but needs must unfortunately as funds won't stretch to bigger wheels to clear the front brakes.

3 minutes ago, Maurice Marina said:

Leave any kind of distraction like painting. Just concentrate on the swap.

You’ll be cleaning the fridge next...

I won't be painting the brakes till they're going on, and the wheels will be getting farmed out to a powdercoater hopefully. Again, after the engine is in and on its way to running.

Funnily enough, I did actually clean the fridge on Thursday morning because flat inspection!

By the time the belt kit arrived today the weather was a little bit too grim to really bother doing much, especially since I'll be on my own. Don't have long enough bolts to get the engine on the stand so I'll be doing the belt with it hanging from the crane with axle stands to steady it. It can wait till the morning.

20190607_181410.thumb.jpg.17e513faacaed920d29bcf5148916dd9.jpg

American falling in love with tiny Euro car klaxon:

20190607_174635.thumb.jpg.4e53b82a39c7d46414be519edda53163.jpg

Wonder if I can find a 1.6 auto...