*actual progress klaxon* 205 Jr 2.0 HDI Build

reb

I've decided best start a new thread dedicated to my planned (beginning to come together) build.
It involves this:
1ad1be390d2749c88b42f5a2e4f1f516.jpg

This: Nope, not this.

0b2cf2e0b41083909f4dbd6749af4448.jpg

This knobber:

ce3cdc2810e29bcc8b49e24566276d5d.jpg

4 of these:

2c8b2c5b232ddf1d60a4a3f5115df38a.jpg

Something a bit like this:

6171111156e215c46aa447e6d67f93c6.jpg

And a lot of this:

f4c7d046e1d7efada7e4c76be60819be.jpg

(Edit to add: through the Magic of Hollywood, that's not actually coffee as we know it. It is in fact the remains of the 4th coffee I had this morning before leaving for work.)

Stay tuned!
Hopefully there will be an accompanying YouTube series, that hopefully won't be too shit.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Good stuff!

Why you need 4 sofas I know not!?

I actually have 2, for a total of 5 (five) distinct places to sit, mega comfy and absolutely huge so could probably fit at least 13 people comfortably if you tried. Even better they were free!

Alas, I don't have 12 friends and I only have one arse.

Is that a 307? Are you going to encounter multiplexing fun?

Also, have you seen my thread in the modern section?

I can neither confirm nor deny. I am hopeful that having all wiring (electrically at least, not physically) follow the same routing as the donor car should avoid any issues. For the £free (not incl. P&P) the donor is costing me, I'll figure it out.

I have not, the only modern I have any real interest in are Dacias and I'm pretty sure they're simpler than the Clio I just scrapped.

I wish you the best of luck.

My 405 has a minor issue with a stuck head bolt, so there's some pictures of the 206gti engine donor in there. It's an early 206 so pre multiplexing, which should make it a little easier for scaryoldcortina.

I put the pictures in my thread in modernity, because most of my cars are modern

According to the interwebs:

all 307 are multiplexed, this is the type that differs depending on the year of prod.

Before April 2005 it is the NPV, and after it is the CAN we call them phase 1 (VAN) and phase 2 (CAN)

(with some 307 that are in phase 1.2 and which are a mix of old 307 with CAN and new equipment 307) ...

I think that may mean that the ECU for the engine depends upon all the other ECUs being present and correct.

Fuck!

I know enough about how this stuff works in non-automotive applications that I can almost certainly bodge it somehow, even if it means bolting them all to the back seats or something daft like that. It is certainly a setback if true, but I'll have plenty of time to fiddle before the time comes, and if it comes to it replacing the ecu with something earlier will be cheaper than buying a complete engine (in theory). Obviously I know none of this is as simple as that, but that's the fun of it!

I like the way this is going.

01b154d2c76f2e593eaf255554c94e15.jpg

I truly hope the engine cover will fit. Unfortunately I think A) the strut brace will be in the way and B) the brake master cylinder will be in the way.

Also, strut brace+engine cover = bastard of a time getting at anything!

The right way, not the wrong way like this chap

https://youtu.be/qtvWxHItOv0

Even if that was real, I'd dislike just because the editing and music gave my phone and ears some kind of space AIDS.

My videos shall of course be accompanied by generic lift rock played slightly too loud to hear the important bits of what I'm saying because my head is in a wheel arch.

Also, I think either this book was aimed at people less experienced than I (a scary thought) or 1992 really was a simpler time:

34a54ea030297ce6b2a6dd36ad37fc70.jpg

I also have a hat like that, perhaps both will make an appearance in a video if spring and summer continue as this morning's snow suggests...

More "are you really telling me how to do this...?"

e7fe08dc6cd24a55578e2c691b91fd94.jpg

I really hope this is fluff to pad it out and the actual modification bit is useful or I wasted £2.50...

Those "Improve and Modify" books are really useful.

If you have a table with one leg about 20mm short.

Or if you are short of firelighters.

I mostly bought it as a curiosity and completeness of my collection of 205 books and whatnot. I knew it was basic, but not that basic! Full of typos too.

There's some fleet movement on the go today, no in-progress photos since all logistical plans involving DIYing it were either impractical or illegal. The one that wasn't involved borrowing a towing dolly from a friend's dad and it was vetoed because he's never used it and lending it to a couple of 20-somethings suddenly seemed like a bad idea when he realised we were serious.

I should have an update within a couple of hours!

Ah yes I remember the view in that last picture.

Haynes Manual - timing belt removal:

Step 1: remove the windscreen wipers...  eh?

Is this a 110bhp then?  Mine went ok, I would have thought the potential for a remap would make this properly fun though.

Ah yes I remember the view in that last picture.

Haynes Manual - timing belt removal:

Step 1: remove the windscreen wipers... eh?

Is this a 110bhp then? Mine went ok, I would have thought the potential for a remap would make this properly fun though.

For me step 1 of the timing belt is "completely remove engine"

This is a 90 but the only material difference is it lacks an intercooler, and the std one is small and awkwardly shaped, so it doesn't bother me. Add a reasonable frontmount and a remap and it can allegedly go to 150hp-ish on the standard clutch!

This is a 90 but the only material difference is it lacks an intercooler, 

Cough.

And the flywheel & clutch are up rated on the 110 (DMF on the 110, solid on the 90), and the con rods are up rated - the 90 uses the BE gearbox, the 110 uses the ML gearbox. The crank on the 90 is the old one from the 1.7 XUD and the 110 uses the crank from the XU9DTE. Someone once told me the 110 uses liners on the cylinders and the 90 doesnt but Ive never had this confirmed. Removal of the cat will free up some horses too.

The 90 will remap to between 120 and 130 at the flywheel but be warned spirited use can break the gearbox. Ask me how I know.

Looks like you have the Siemens injection system there too.