If you own a Vauxhall read this!

Peter C

Whilst having my Boxster MoT’d today I had a chat with my tester friend who showed me this:

post-4019-0-29641800-1552672111_thumb.jpeg

It’s a front wishbone off a 57 reg Corsa. It’s completely rotten.

Apparently in recent months he’s picked up a lot rusty Vauxhall suspension parts. If you are lucky enough to have a 12 year old Vauxhall go and check your suspension.

The Boxster sailed through the test, by the way.

Nothing new there!post-3865-0-38365700-1552673591_thumb.jpg

Perhaps hard to see in my crappy photo, but one of the front spring cups on my Vauxhall Royale has rotted through almost the entire circumference. Its obviously a weakness on the S1 struts as the other side had already been replaced by the previous owner due to the same thing.

And yes, I might not have noticed had the spring not broken...

At least my car is 40 years old rather than 12!

Nothing new there! IMG_20190303_154308.jpg

Perhaps hard to see in my crappy photo, but one of the front spring cups on my Vauxhall Royale has rotted through almost the entire circumference. Its obviously a weakness on the S1 struts as the other side had already been replaced by the previous owner due to the same thing.

And yes, I might not have noticed had the spring not broken...

At least my car is 40 years old rather than 12!

Your royale is allowed to be that rusty though. Much like my 27 year old carlton..... it’s no where near as bad as the corsa in question!

Fair point, although nothing new.

When I were a lad, mate of mine's Dad rocked up with a PA Cresta.

I was only 10 at the time, but was a dab hand at bike repaints using Holts Dupli Colour and an avid reader of Car Mechanics where many a car wing or arch was repaired using aluminium mesh and a blob of wag.

I spotted straight away, being the master of the Dupli. Colour that that there Cresta wasn't quite as it left the factory. I remember thinking that the paint finish was not up to my standard and you could see the wag all over the shop.

The car started dissolving on a daily basis, a couple of days of rain and half of it could be seen floating down the gutter.

I remember commenting to my Dad and he said, Vauxhall you see son, rust buckets.