Pride of Longbridge

Zantimisfit

Anyone going? Date is April 13th I believe.

Not been before due to being in that there abroad, but assuming its not the victim of weather like last year, then I will be there with the very orange Mini . Anyone else going there for a spot of Montego licking? 

Just wondered.

I am planning to give the VP 1500 it first outing following its engine/gearbox transplant. It is due back to me next week complete with its replacement beige door and paint that has a leather grain finish, in fact just look for the scruffiest car there!

First reserve is our Metro.

So we have a selection of Rover loveliness plus an alligator skin VDP. Excellent. 

For he uninitiated how does it work? Do you just drive up at the required time and get directed to the appropriate bit of parkland? Or are there secret things to be aware of?

Are SD1s allowed, being as how they were built in Solihull rather than Longbridge? Mine needs a run (and an MOT, but that shouldn’t be too hard).

Saying that, if it’s all scissor door R3s and OMGMGPOWER HHRs then I will probably give it a run somewhere else.

I think the broader BMC, BL, Austin Rover, MG Rover product line is welcome. I can't see that the ghost of Leonard Lord would angrily haunt you if you turned up in something from Cowley for example. Having said that I've not actually been before so maybe you would be attacked by a torch wielding mob if you turned up in a Morris Minor....I'm just going off photos of previous events though so what do I know

You want to get there early otherwise the que is horrendous. I think Dollywobbler overheated one year and I was stuck in the traffic jam for ages. Once in, just park up in the relevant section, there are marshals to ask/direct you. Some car clubs are always there, you don't have to park with them if you don't want to. There is the Cowley convoy for Nuffield relics.

I haven't been for a few years, will see if I can attend this year.

Are SD1s allowed, being as how they were built in Solihull rather than Longbridge? Mine needs a run (and an MOT, but that shouldn’t be too hard).

In spite of the armed guards at Longbridge being given orders to keep Solihull out some times they still make it in!

post-4787-0-65182600-1552683440_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-58792200-1552683472_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-51386100-1552683493_thumb.jpg

You want to get there early otherwise the que is horrendous. I think Dollywobbler overheated one year and I was stuck in the traffic jam for ages. Once in, just park up in the relevant section, there are marshals to ask/direct you. Some car clubs are always there, you don't have to park with them if you don't want to. There is the Cowley convoy for Nuffield relics.

I haven't been for a few years, will see if I can attend this year.

Aye. I think that was when we were in the 3-Litre. It got warm, but not critically so. Mind you, I got my A90 Westminster steaming at Ferry Meadows one year. Big shows have queues.

Go early, especially if good weather is forecast. It's a park wherever you like sort of thing. You can hunt out Clubs/any group that puts up a banner, but if you time it wrong you can spend too much time trying to drive round and find them, or end up pissing everyone off by trying to drive against the flow. Best just to get in and park up.

Anything Austin, Morris or Rover goes, regardless of where it was built (I bet most attendees will think it all came from the hallowed ground across Lowhill Lane, anyway!) Oddly sniffy about people trying to get Land Rover, Range Rover and early MINI products in, though.

As already mentioned, being early April, the whole show is subject to short notice cancellation, which is fair enough as the organisers can't risk ruining the park or the Council would never agree to host it again I should imagine. People seem pretty clued-up for organising short notice pop-up-POLs in the local area. Check social media on the day. Popular alternatives are the British Motor Museum, Gaydon and The Transport Museum, Wythall.

I'm planning on going (come rain or shine - I have a Premier Inn booked!) in either or both of these, depending on a second driver;

post-5021-0-54498300-1553023329_thumb.jpg

post-5021-0-16290600-1553023358_thumb.jpg

It’s worth going if only to point and laugh at nearing-middle aged men who drive R3 200s with scissor doors and Max Power body kits.

It’s also good for seeing how many many enamel union jacks, P5 era viking motifs, chrome bonnet racks and other bits of high class giffer tat you can stick on a single 75.

There’s a black one called ‘Windrush’ which has been at every PoL I’ve ever attended.

I reckon I'm in pole position as my nephew lives walking distance away from the park. He is my Godson (yeah I know...but it kept the grandparents happy!) and, though I say it myself, I've done a quite excellent job looking after his spiritual and moral wellbeing, and, as an aside, done much to try to encourage an unhealthy interest in all the works of British Leyland. As a result then he feels, understandably, indebted to me and is letting me stay at his place. I will be at the front of the queue at dawn with the Swedish "Hundkoja"

post-19620-0-00490000-1553030343_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going in with the 200/400 owners club (they've admitted R3 owners) so will be there with the Streetwise in section P1.

Seems the club got preferential treatment location-wise because it's the R8's 30th anniversary :)

There'll be 2 25 GTi's and my Streetwise to reflect the moderns, everyone else seems to be taking R8s of various shapes and sizes