Rover 827Si

djb222

Just gathering info on a potential purchase, a 91' Rover 827Si covered less than 60k and is in original condition.

Just trying to ascertain whether it's had a cam belt change as I hear they are a pig to do, like the KV6. Any info please.

I haven't seen the car yet but gathering info before travelling so any advice from previous or current owners appreciated.

Agreed, from the info I have so far the bodywork is original and rust free.  I like to do as much work on my cars as possible and I've changed a few cam belts in my time....so really just looking for proof of the last change...

Back!

Anyway, thats a sweet looking motor man. Very clean and 99% original. I'd probably say that the wheels are Mk2 Rover 800 items. It's nice subtle mod that doesn't stand out. Many Mk1 and Mk2 parts are interchangeable. In fact 70% of the Mk2 is basically a Mk1 with a slightly different face. The rear sections of the saloon and fastback are not interchangeable. Nice to see it hasn't had the Rover R8 200 grille stick on the front either. They were an awful mod that Rover offered for thier customers who wabted to "update" thier car when the Mk2 came out.

Looks like very nice car, I wouldn't think twice about buying it. The 'Si' model was a fairly low spec car, it still had all-round electric windows, electric sunroof and probably remote central locking (though I think this was a cost option)

Also, if you find the tank cracked, a Volvo 850 tank will fit.

I also had a Rover 827Si with the TWR bodykit on it. Mine was a manual and even had a recaro interior;

post-3572-0-07352100-1552397045_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-93696900-1552397102_thumb.jpg

It was a lovely car until someone pulled out from a junction on front of me :|

Got these now:

827 Sterling:

post-3572-0-18226800-1552397187_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-42695200-1552397249_thumb.jpg

Early 825 Sterling:

post-3572-0-24603700-1552397333_thumb.jpg

820E:

post-3572-0-50624800-1552397446_thumb.jpg

827 Sterling:

post-3572-0-13562000-1552397480_thumb.jpg

KV6 Sterling:

post-3572-0-74990000-1552397534_thumb.jpg

Sadly they are looking a worse for wear because life took over and needed more attention. I barely ever tinker with them.

Take a look on Rover800.info if you str after parts or advice.

The car,as I said, was a Rover owned and in 92' went into the next owners hands who, I am told maintained it diligently. The current owner then purchased it in 2016 (from the Isle of Man)  Only 2 years of MOT history show on the Dvla website....bot with no advisories.

Although the original pack comes with the car there is no other history or invoices etc.... plus no evidence of Cam belt change.

Now perhaps I am being picky, but I would like some history, however it appears a good well looked after car. What would you expect this car to be valued at?

post-27022-0-47464900-1552402288_thumb.jpg

post-27022-0-84609200-1552402288_thumb.jpg

That 820E is a proper early one.  Don't they have some kind of daft unique fit ECU which shits itself if you remove the battery and which nobody can reprogramme any more, or did I dream that?

Known as a "volatile memory."

Is it just me or do the first gen look much better than the later ones? I remember doing work experience at the rover stealer ( Hall motors Widnes) when a D plate sterling came in - it was like a spaceship compared to the SD1.

Djb;

Most Rover cars, particularly the 800s were Rover 'owned' probably as a dealer demonstrator. "UY" at the end of the plate suggests a Worcestershire registration, there *may* be a connection to possibly a lower manager type company car at Longbridge as it's not far from Worcestershire (I live in this area too) but my money is on pre-reg at a dealer for figures, Rover were known for this.

Price? Sadly the price on these are all over the place. Quick sale £950. Willing to wait? £1250.

I know that these cars are advertised at £2k plus but what they are advertised for and what they actually change hands for are two completely different things.

It is a very nice and very clean car (not mad keen on the floor mats) especially havibg lived in the Isle of Man (Tony Pond did a 100mph lap of the TT course in the IoM on a Rover 827 Vitesse fastback on 1988 and 1990)

WOW just WOW,what a superb looking car,so so much better than the facelift model,I've changed cam belts on these in the distant past,a few awkward fixings on the belt cover towards the rear and the crank damper bolt can be silly tight otherwise quite easy to do especially compared to some moderns,also I've personally never heard of a belt breaking on one of these engines but it's always best to change it,get it bought.

The car,as I said, was a Rover owned and in 92' went into the next owners hands who, I am told maintained it diligently. The current owner then purchased it in 2016 (from the Isle of Man)  Only 2 years of MOT history show on the Dvla website....bot with no advisories.

Although the original pack comes with the car there is no other history or invoices etc.... plus no evidence of Cam belt change.

Now perhaps I am being picky, but I would like some history, however it appears a good well looked after car. What would you expect this car to be valued at?

History of this car - Owned by a Major K M Emery who washed it religiously every Sunday and kept every receipt over his years of ownership. It then passed in 1992 to Mrs S Dawes who never ventured more than 6 miles from her home in Swaffham and entrusted maintenance to the well known Norwich dealership G G Kicks before being exported first to Jersey and then the IOM. Its most recent owner Mr Robin Southbottom was sadly blown up in a freak caravanning accident in the Cotswolds. He was carrying the car's receipts and provenance about his person when he disintegrated.

History of this car - Owned by a Major K M Emery who washed it religiously every Sunday and kept every receipt over his years of ownership. It then passed in 1992 to Mrs S Dawes who never ventured more than 6 miles from her home in Swaffham and entrusted maintenance to the well known Norwich dealership G G Kicks before being exported first to Jersey and then the IOM. Its most recent owner Mr Robin Southbottom was sadly blown up in a freak caravanning accident in the Cotswolds. He was carrying the car's receipts and provenance about his person when he disintegrated.

I'm not convinced as to the accuracy of that history , if Mrs Dawes never went further than 6 miles from Swafham,N how did the Rover get serviced in Norwich -28 miles away? Eh? Eh?

I put it to you Mrs Dawes is a liar and not only that is probably responsible for those horrid blingy alloy wheels.

post-17414-0-12446300-1552469724_thumb.jpeg

An example of a big bumper mk1 Si with correct wheels.

Thanks for the update...... The sadly departed Mr Southbottom also suffered from dandruff as the police later reported that they found his Head & Shoulders 300yards away in Farmer Giles South field.