Moving forward. Please read.

Autoshite Admin

Autoshite Changes  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the proposed changes with more sub-forums?

• Yes, I'd like to change to the proposed structure
    • No - remain with Main, Open, Modern and the existing rules of no politics/religion/potentially sensitive allowed anywhere

Just to add to the debate I think '86 cut off is too early. Sometime in the 90's is better for me as a modern European car is anything with an airbag ? There was also a real watershed moment when Rover went bust so maybe DR (During Rover) and AR (After Rover)?

Although up to 1986 cars were made and from then on only newfangled tosh, I suggest no age related separation at all, apart from the one we already have with the modernz section.

What I find important though is a separate for sale/wanted section and sections for people writing about their own cars and for general automotive chat. In short, I find the grouping suggestion the mods have made quite sensible.

No hard cutoff years please.

Look at my 2002 Zafira, to me it's not shite, bought new, never gave any troubles, its still a new car in my eyes. Same car beaten by 10 owners and then bought by a shiter for a few pennies would certainly be considered as shite here.

On the other side, the 504 GL is likely by most people here considered as a classic, but i dont see it like this. I have been driving 504's forever, it's a daily driver that has to function, no more. The car only gets minimum maintenance, i dont care that the doors have a different shade of blue and if it needs welding, then cheap and quick is good enough.

Use meaningful names for the sections and let people decide themselves where a car or project fits best.

I'm of the opinion that too many threads will require too heavy a hand for moderation and will probably lead to questions like "my car was built 19xx but registered 19yy, what do I do?"

I don't see any reason why by the current split isn't working, with the extra sections purposed for those who want a little heat with their post.

We had a similar arrangement on another forum and it seemed to work well. Though, we never managed a collective 200 pages arguing about it either....

I think car related stuff including projects should go in one place if you feel the need to split it out.

Putting stuff for sale and wanted in a separate place doesn't really need happen, but I don't tend to look in the merged threads when I'm after something if I'm honest. Like a lot of folks I read titles and only take a look inside if it's going not interest me.

And we're all getting older. A MK3 Mondeo is still considered brand new to some folks, but they're sub £1000 bangers now so they should sit firmly in shite territory. It's 2019 for fucks sake.

By some remarkable coincidence, my hi-fi is currently playing "Come Together" by Primal Scream.

I really, really like autoshite.com

On the subject of "moving forward", may I suggest a "Spottings" sub-section.

Thanking you for your consideration.

Nah. My dad has one. I like how it looks and goes (3.0 turbo diesel) but it's moving firmly into high liability territory. :-D

Our ex boss had one when he retired, cost nearly as much in repairs in two years as it cost to buy it. And the ride was shite. It was only four years old too.

In amongst all the vile name-calling and the cesspit of abuse that is the Dark Wob, a classic car was described as a car that the neighbours were envious of. Shite was described as a car that the neighbours despise and a modern was a car that the neighbours didn't notice.

I may be paraphrasing slightly, but I thought it was a decent definition.