Atwell-Wilson Motor Museum

SiC

I hope Wiltshire's only car maker, Honda, donates their last ever Swindon made motor to Wiltshire's car museum when they abandon us.

I believe that Civic MK1 in the museum is on loan from Honda. I also noticed two info signs hidden around the back of another car of two different generation Civics.

I don't think I saw the FSO or that Carina to be honest. You can see the Civic that the FSO was next to has moved.

I guess its good that they do have a rotation of cars. Does mean subsequent visits you are treated to new and different stuff.

I visited this place with MacDroitwich in about 2009/10. It was a good weekend - we also visited Dr Alex Moulton at home, had a tour of his private museum, had a poke around his personal cars (hydragas development Moke, chaufferred Mini and Bentley Turbo R spring to mind) and finished up with tea and chat in the big house. I still haven’t finished reading his book.

Went there about 12 years ago to organise a local car club visit.   It seems to have come on a heck of a lot since then.   To get the visit organised we had to go into Mrs Atwell-Wilson's kitchen where she took out a great big day-book, consulted a wall chart and carefully wrote down all the details.  It took ages, during which time a whole host of  old farm boys, retired lorry mechanics and general sledge-hammer engineers trooped in to contribute nuggets of information about what they had been doing all day.   This was followed or rather accompanied by copious amounts of tea and ginger cake whilst the old fellas gradually reverted to tales about their working lives and who tipped what Commer or ERF into which field on a foggy night in Sixties Wiltshire.  

It was flipping brilliant, they showed us all round, didn't charge a penny (although we tipped quite a bit of money into the tin) and signed us up as Friends.  Sadly, they passed away not too long afterwards, the Friend's thing was wound up and it went to a different level.   Very pleased to see that it has gone to such strengths and not simply auctioned off for the weasels.   Also glad to see that 1961 Plymouth Fury is still there - this was jammed down the side of the garage in Beaulieu Village long before the days of £15K Vauxhall Victors and boring re-imported BMC sports cars when the place was still actually the village garage.

Looks like an interesting little collection and reminds me a lot of Stondon, only a bit more professional and less dilapidated. Plus they have a beige Maxi, surely a sign of a winning establishment. Certainly on the list of places to visit if I ever find myself down that way.