(Finally Updated!) 1987 Chevy Monte Carlo SS's Nearly Completed Recommissioning & Travels

Outrun9430

UPDATE 1:

As of post #40, the Monte Carlo SS is up and running! For now the project is on hold until May when I get back from college for the summer. Once I get back, I will be continuing work on getting the car road-worthy once more,. This includes getting new tires, cleaning it, getting historic plates, registering it as such, and switching the insurance from "in-Storage". Exciting times lie ahead in the coming months for this classic 80s car :D

UPDATE 2:

As of 27 May, 2020, the Monte Carlo SS has left the driveway for the first time in 14+ years. New tires have been fitted and now all that is left is renewing the registration, updating the insurance, and taking care of a few cosmetic issues, then it'll be all set for normal driving once more.

UPDATE 3:

Huge update post culminating everything that has happened from 2019 when I started this thread to November 2023 into one post here. The Monte Carlo's recommissioning is essentially complete as of this update, with the car now finally being registered, insured, and largely roadworthy. If you're new to this thread, I'd scroll through it for pictures (which are now fixed after being removed by the previous photo hosting company) and finer "as it happened" details if you'd like, but the update post will essentially cover everything and is the most current info in the thread (and probably the most well written since entirety of the thread prior to my teaser post here was written before I was even 21 lol). I've also updated the thread title from "1987 Chevy Monte Carlo SS Recommissioning" to the now more appropriate "(Finally Updated!) 1987 Chevy Monte Carlo SS's Nearly Completed Recommissioning & Travels".

Original Post:

Hello fellow shitters,

The time has finally come for me to take a look at my dad's 1987 Monte Carlo SS. He bought it brand new back in 1987 and has kept it with him since then. The car has been sitting idle in our garage since I'd estimate 2004/2005/2006? I know the last time It received daily usage was 2003 and then was driven every so often until around 2006. Since then, it's been left to decay in the garage. I began to give it a bit of attention back in December of last year, and I've simply been to busy to look at it otherwise. All 4 tires had long since gone flat, so I filled them back up. The two driver's side tires are still inflated now over a year later, but the passenger side deflated within 48 hours of me filling them. If I recall correctly, at least one of them had a hole back when it was left dormant, which is likely the reason as to why it was left dormant. So its possible its just the tires, or there's now axel rot from it sitting for so long which is why they deflated so quickly.

Besides the tires, the car is covered in about an inch of dust, so that'll have to be cleaned. The upholstery on the roof of the car has come detached and is currently being held up with thumbtacks, although that happened way back in like 2000, so that's been like that for awhile. The battery is stone dead, so that will need replacement. The rubber seals around the doors might have to be replaced since I'm not sure how they would hold up in the rain. Finally, whatever fluids are left are probably long stale or evaporated, so they'll need to be replaced as well.

As for some cosmetic things, the left brake light cover is cracked and has been since again, around 2000. The center console cover is falling apart and probably could use replacement. The car could also use a few touch-ups on the paint as well. Given these are just cosmetic issues, they're not really major issues that I need to address to get it drivable once again.

I'm planning to work on this on Tuesday during my spring break from college. My grandfather, who has been a mechanic for the past 30+ years, will be helping me to get it running once more, so it should be a pretty easy job. I plan to take pictures and to film its first start in over 10 years once the time comes. Really excited to get this car going again since its a fantastic 80s car, with it's maroon interior and exterior. I think my dad will be pretty excited too since he loves that car.

Oops, forgot to add some pictures. Forgive the quality of these, I took them back when I first started to take an interest in getting it up and running. Once I get back home, I’ll take better pictures lol

IMG_4321.thumb.JPG.2a05953df70722d670c41c13c57f24bd.JPGIMG_4324.thumb.JPG.152a274601752d43f6d12ffcc1f76e9e.JPGIMG_4326.thumb.JPG.ddb8ede38dd0f3ffdc344da9fdfffd29.JPG

Edited by Gamer9430
Fixing broken picture links

aye, I think this would be more a recommissioning than a restoration :)

im very excited to see some work being done on this car finally, iv known about this one for a few years now and have been badgering the OP to get it running for a while now :mrgreen:

Yeah, I wasn’t exactly sure how to phrase it. That was the best word I could think of at 3:30AM LOL, but yeah, not much actually needs restoration other than some cosmetic issues that don’t really affect driving the car.

Nice to see the write-up on this, and I'll be looking forward to seeing it come to life.

Gamer9430, when you get it running please come and visit me in Kentucky in it :) . The beaded seat covers that your dad stole from an NYC Cabbie have to stay, though :)

BTW, I'll also mention the fact that I've been talking to Gamer about this car for a while, and initially voiced some concern over the feedback carburetor in it. I said to rip it out and throw a Holly 650 on it, or even a 750(forget gas mileage! :) ), although I don't know if a 750 is too much for an '80s emission-choked 305. He's in a unique position, though, with his grandfather being a mechanic and probably one of the few people alive who actually understands and knows how to work on feedback carbs.

Nice to see the write-up on this, and I'll be looking forward to seeing it come to life.

Gamer9430, when you get it running please come and visit me in Kentucky in it :) . The beaded seat covers that your dad stole from an NYC Cabbie have to stay, though :)

BTW, I'll also mention the fact that I've been talking to Gamer about this car for a while, and initially voiced some concern over the feedback carburetor in it. I said to rip it out and throw a Holly 650 on it, or even a 750(forget gas mileage! :) ), although I don't know if a 750 is too much for an '80s emission-choked 305. He's in a unique position, though, with his grandfather being a mechanic and probably one of the few people alive who actually understands and knows how to work on feedback carbs.

I believe a trip to Kentucky in the Monte can be arranged :). If you want, I can take the fuzzy dice out of the glove box and hang them around the mirror as well LOL

In regards to the carburetor, I am indeed in a unique position thanks to my grandfather, who is well versed in being able to work on them and again, probably one of the few people left who can work on them. Unfortunately, with arthritis in his hands from working on cars all these years, and a hernia in his back (fortunately he's finally trying to have surgery on it after 10+ years lol), I'm not sure if he would be able to make any repairs himself, but he could probably guide me through it if necessary. Same with making whatever repairs are necessary on Tuesday to get it running. 

Writing up this thread has definitely re-invigorated my excitement for getting this car going once more. My dad has always said that it was one of the most powerful cars he's ever driven thanks to the V8, and I'd love to give it a go. And of course, I love anything 80s and this car just screams 80s aesthetic :P

Tasty....I had a 79 Grand Prix (think they referred to it as A Body in that generation) but there is enough similarity to give me the nostalgias....  

My headlining fell out long before I got the car leaving occupants with a permanent brown spongiform dandruff. 

Look forward to seeing more of this!

Good opportunity to review some Mom-and-Pop diners for us then!

With pleasure! If there's one redeeming quality of New Jersey, its the fact that there are diners everywhere and they're all really good. I've got 3 local to me that I frequent every couple weeks or so while I'm home. Perfect for a late night snack with my co-workers after finishing closing for the night or getting dinner when you don't know what you're in the mood for, since they've got everything  :-P

Excellent!  I don't think I've sampled New Jersey, maybe that's one for the next roadtrip.  But certainly, one of the things I really love about America is how easy it is to eat well everywhere.

Of course, one of the other things is the old-car population too ;)

Excellent!  I don't think I've sampled New Jersey, maybe that's one for the next roadtrip.  But certainly, one of the things I really love about America is how easy it is to eat well everywhere.

Of course, one of the other things is the old-car population too ;)

Make sure you're not driving a car you care about in NJ, since all the roads are falling apart LOL. 

I've discussed this with 1970mgb a few times that when I go down to Kentucky, I want him to take me to all the local eateries to get some good southern exclusive food. I also am dying to try proper southern-style Sweet Iced Tea (a foreign concept to the brits in here LOL). In exchange, if he were to come up to NJ, I'd take him to some local Diners and get some proper Italian food as well, instead of his fake Papa John's bullshit (its so nice to not have a filter on this site LOL). Maybe take a trip into NYC perhaps for some really good food :)

Now y'all got me hungry, since I haven't had lunch yet LOL

Yes, gamer9430 needs to visit the Colonel's Lady(Claudia Sanders Dinner House) for either some Col. Sanders chicken done right or a Hot Brown(or both) and some Sweet Tea...

We'll need to head to southern or western Kentucky too for some pulled pork Barbecue, again washed down with a gallon or two of sweet tea.

He can come see me in Louisville and we can either take the Monte or the MGB there.

Yes, gamer9430 needs to visit the Colonel's Lady(Claudia Sanders Dinner House) for either some Col. Sanders chicken done right or a Hot Brown(or both) and some Sweet Tea...

We'll need to head to southern or western Kentucky too for some pulled pork Barbecue, again washed down with a gallon or two of sweet tea.

He can come see me in Louisville and we can either take the Monte or the MGB there.

My mouth is already watering... :P