Bought a car last September and got a letter saying it’s reported stolen

Vince70

Some logbook loans don’t show up so owner borrows up to the hilt and then sells the car on, double bubble that way.

Stupid thing to do from your home address though, have they any idea how many Argos catalogues they will be collecting from their local Post Office?

I have skimmed the thread, but I have a fair chunk of experience with getting written off cars back on the road, reversing destruction orders and dealing with stolen vehicles( I only cut up blue ones)

First of all, the vehicle is not showing as stolen - this shows the Police are investigating, by the looks of it at a slow pace.

If it had been "stolen" a tow truck and a traffic car would be outside your house!

Put the car in the garage and be helpful to TVP, provide a copy of eBay adverts, statements showing cash being withdrawn,insurance certificates etc.

If it was a log book loan scam,you would of recieved another type of letter.

It does sound like a 'logbook loan' or lien as they call them stateside, now disgraced former youtuber 'Repoman' was forever collecting cars when people defaulted. The claimant could well be a Cash Converters type shop franchise holder. The whole situation sounds like a legal shitstorm

From this snapshot of the letter and a small amount of speculation from people who are not necessarily up to speed on the law, or indeed anything that is going on in this case, I think I can say with absolute conviction that this is something I've seen many many times before. 

This car obviously used to 'belong' to Samantha Fox. She pulls this kind of shit all the time. It's not just limited to her, other page 3 girls do it too. Linda Lusardi, Jo Guest etc but she is the main culprit. 

She'll spot a car she fancies and she says she used to own it. She gets away with it because Cathy Lloyd works at the DVLA and fudges the records to make it look like Sam was a previous owner. On top of that Maria Whittaker works for the police and is an expert in falsifying backdated crime reports. 

Donal Macyntyre was doing an in depth report on it but forgot that he was absolutely shit and got nowhere, as someone stole his brain and replaced it with a inflated sense of self importance years ago, hence why it's still being allowed to continue.

You won't be the first and won't be the last to fall foul of these wrinkly temptresses. 

I'll certainly be watching that documentary with great interest.

I might do some screen grabs and post them on the ALL NEW Cars and Girls thread on The Dark Wob.

It does sound like a 'logbook loan' or lien as they call them stateside, now disgraced former youtuber 'Repoman' was forever collecting cars when people defaulted. The claimant could well be a Cash Converters type shop franchise holder. The whole situation sounds like a legal shitstorm

I've just searched that Repoman on YouTube and all I can say is what a fucking tool. 

While working as a bailiff I seized dozens of vehicles on behalf of finance companies, to cover Rates and Poll Tax debts and to cover unpaid VAT and I can honestly say that neither myself or my colleagues acted in such an unprofessional way. That prick seems to think he's Lizard Lick Towing or something. Whenever I had to take a car it was either done very early morning at the keepers address or at a known workplace, in both instances as discreetly as possible. At least I ended that career on a shite high as the last car I took was a Citroen GSA estate.

Personalised plate time? After all if a bailiff shows up for a 52 plate car, and there is a completely different reg on a car on the drive then maybe they won’t take it? Try and get a Y registration with the OBL suffix for OMG early Bini kudos

Seriously though this seems odd. Surely Plod wouldn’t be tipping you off in a case like this? Unless that’s the way it’s done these days

“Dear Mr and Mrs West, it appears some hitchhikers last seen in your property have gone missing. Please can you pop in for a chat when you have a moment to discuss?”

If it is the previous owner then the police likely know that they're trying to pull a fast one, but I guess they're obliged to at least perform a cursory investigation. It strikes me as a risky strategy to involve plod in trying to perpetrate an obvious fraud though, and one can only hope that if that is indeed the case, it ends badly for them.

Well she’s found out a bit more today

It was recorded stolen last week from the owner before who owned it in 2015 but I don’t know how you would only notice it missing off the drive 4 years later lol.

The copper did say that he can’t see it going any further but will keep her informed on a weekly basis and the old owner might take civil action to reclaim the car but would you really do that on a 17 year old car.

So maybe the previous owner who reported it stolen last week had asked the person you bought it from to ‘store’ it on their drive. Maybe the people you purchased it from couldn’t get hold of the one who has reported it stolen so applied for the logbook and sold it as was becoming an eyesore....

In which case the one of whom has reported it stolen should take the people who sold it to you to a small claims court to claim the ‘amount’

Hypothetical I know but trying to make sense of the whole situation.

As many have said above, possibly a relationship gone sour you really don’t know....one who reported it stolen could have come away from the relationship with very little and is trying to clutch onto anything they can get their hands on....

I might try that tactic with my old house. I used to live there 4 years ago and I've only just remembered it's stolen.

Seriously though, there should be statute of limitation for a situation like this.

The previous owner would have been made aware by the DVLA that they no longer owned the vehicle once the V5 was transferred. They also would have been unable to tax or sorn their vehicle during the 4 year period since it was 'stolen' I would suggest that the previous owner will have no evidence to prove that they attempted tax, sorn, service, store or insure the vehicle during that period. I would politely aske the police office to explain this to the previous owner in an attempt to dissuade them from a pointless civil action.

Ive just looked at the mot history and it wasn’t MOTed between March 2015 till May 2017 so maybe it was stored somewhere and the mileage between then is only a couple of hundred miles so it could be something like a relative that’s stored it somewhere while they’ve moved abroad or staying somewhere at her majesty’s pleasure lol.

Ive just looked at the mot history and it wasn’t MOTed between March 2015 till May 2017 so maybe it was stored somewhere and the mileage between then is only a couple of hundred miles so it could be something like a relative that’s stored it somewhere while they’ve moved abroad or staying somewhere at her majesty’s pleasure lol.

It's bizarre all round but this sounds like the most likely explanation! Is that truck still in xtriple's garage?

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh earlier, by the way, it's a horrible situation for your girlfriend's daughter to be in and I do think there's a bit of a gap in the legislation that covers this sort of thing.

One solution might be to make it a requirement to have it covered by insurance - so if you buy a stolen car in good faith and the truth comes out later, the insurance company could pay the loser the value of the car.

I'd guess it's a pretty rare scenario as HPI checks are so easy these days so hopefully wouldn't add too much to the premium.

I'd guess it's a pretty rare scenario as HPI checks are so easy these days so hopefully wouldn't add too much to the premium.

Bearing in mind it was only reported stolen last week so a HPI check at purchase wouldn't have shown up any issues :?

Sounds more promising. Hope it gets sorted out for those involved.

Just as a side note, this is my worst fear when buying a motor and is why I generally always insist on the V5 and it being sold from the registered address on that V5. Also always get a receipt to prove said transaction.

We did do all the above as we went to the registered keepers address and in their house etc and even the bills in the service history tallied up with the owner of the car we bought it from.

Even when we looked in the car and found the documents etc that we returned they also tallied up with the owner and the eBay seller address so I guess there’s not much else we could of done at the time.

But hopefully it will get sorted and nipped in the bud now or otherwise my yellow mini will end up with some new bits on it lol.

I’m a bit gutted as I’ve just paid out for a new brake caliper, wiper motor and heater plus a BC1 unit on mine lol.

Sounds more promising. Hope it gets sorted out for those involved.

Just as a side note, this is my worst fear when buying a motor and is why I generally always insist on the V5 and it being sold from the registered address on that V5. Also always get a receipt to prove said transaction.

I expect the letter was created by an admin bod on behalf (eventually, through the chain of admin) of a pc.

Unless those stories you read in the tabloids about police being too busy with paperwork to police are actually true....

Maybe this also explains why the money was left in there....

The people you bought it from were oblivious to the fact money was left in there. Could have been the person of whom has now reported it stolen and so the people who sold it to you were only too happy to accept it back....this was another brucey bonus for them...

You did the right thing giving the money back though.

The people you bought it from weren't just renting that house for a couple of years were they and the real owners have now returned and found their car missing ?.

Hope it gets sorted, reminds me we didn't get any sort of receipt for the TF we bought last month. Fortunately know them well, WCPGW. ??

Sounds to me like the cop knows it's a lot of rubbish. It would have been far easier and quicker to have the reg put on on and send local officers around to your gaff and seize the car. Then just let insurance companies/solicitors sort it out. The fact they've bothered to write and speak to you sensibly says a lot about the 'quality' of the complaint.

Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well if it goes anywhere you know that Mini parts are good sellers on the bay and you should be able to recoup a lot of your outlay in bits. Just tell everyone you bought it for spares and have now stripped it into a bare shell but if the owner still wants it they are welcome to come round with a hiab to take what’s left as it saves you a job.

Imagine if that had been the case? What then? Plod has to trace all the bits across the country so the owner can rebuild it?

Well if it goes anywhere you know that Mini parts are good sellers on the bay and you should be able to recoup a lot of your outlay in bits. Just tell everyone you bought it for spares and have now stripped it into a bare shell but if the owner still wants it they are welcome to come round with a hiab to take what’s left as it saves you a job.

Imagine if that had been the case? What then? Plod has to trace all the bits across the country so the owner can rebuild it?

Yes, when my sisters motorbike was stolen, she informed her insurance but didn't claim, 19 with 2 previous theft claims, her excess was so large shed have ended up with about £100 and another claim on her file and this was on a new bike, anyway, she had a letter about 12 months later from the police stating 'parts' of her bike had been found as a garage had tried to MOT the bike, turns out it was the engine of her bike in the frame of another stolen bike and possible other parts/bike. I think the garage paid her a couple of hundred quid for her 'parts' and sorted it all legally.

Sounds like a shit situation to be in, more stress and crap that people don't need.

Fair point. Maybe something has gone wrong between the claimant and the previous owner. During current ownership, tax and insurance have been made, but no attempt has been made by the claimant to tax or presumably insure the vehicle. If the vehicle has been stolen there has been a serious dereliction of care from the owner with no attempts made to resolve the situation for 4 years.

I’ve found out that the claimant who reported it stolen doesn’t live at the same address as the previous owner and lives at the other end of the country.

The police are miffed though that’s it taken them 4 years to report it and are getting in touch with all the previous keepers to get their take on it.

The people you bought it from weren't just renting that house for a couple of years were they and the real owners have now returned and found their car missing ?.

Hope it gets sorted, reminds me we didn't get any sort of receipt for the TF we bought last month. Fortunately know them well, WCPGW. ??

I rented a house as a student from a guy who was doing a three year contract in America. His car was in the garage the whole time (no keys though) so I guess it could happen, if somewhat unlikely. He had all his stuff in one room and two of us shared the rest of the house, I only ever saw him once and if we needed anything we just emailed him and paid for whatever it was and took it off the rent. He was an ex student of the same Uni and it was the best house and least hassle I ever had as a student.