Bought a car last September and got a letter saying it’s reported stolen

Vince70

It is possible that the registered keeper, who sold the car, did so without the consent of the person who paid for it (possibly parent) quite where this would go should it get to a court no idea. Your daughter has done everything by the book so far and it's definitely worth getting some legal advice once you get some feedback from the police.

All I can add to this is to keep the car hidden away until this is resolved. It would be so easy for the police to arrange recovery of it, only for it and your money to disappear into the system.

Oh and get legal advice. Don't give in if the cops try and bully you. You can get 15 minutes of free advice from a solicitor.

Here we go Ronnie Krays here with how to avoid being fitted up by the law!

From this snapshot of the letter and a small amount of speculation from people who are not necessarily up to speed on the law, or indeed anything that is going on in this case, I think I can say with absolute conviction that this is something I've seen many many times before. 

This car obviously used to 'belong' to Samantha Fox. She pulls this kind of shit all the time. It's not just limited to her, other page 3 girls do it too. Linda Lusardi, Jo Guest etc but she is the main culprit. 

She'll spot a car she fancies and she says she used to own it. She gets away with it because Cathy Lloyd works at the DVLA and fudges the records to make it look like Sam was a previous owner. On top of that Maria Whittaker works for the police and is an expert in falsifying backdated crime reports. 

Donal Macyntyre was doing an in depth report on it but forgot that he was absolutely shit and got nowhere, as someone stole his brain and replaced it with a inflated sense of self importance years ago, hence why it's still being allowed to continue.

You won't be the first and won't be the last to fall foul of these wrinkly temptresses. 

No it goes back to whoever owns title to it, be it the previous owner or the finance company or whoever. If you buy a car and it turns out to be nicked then you’ve done your money.

Yes, but you don't want the car taken first without questions being asked. Even if it was all some kind of mix up I can guarantee you would still be stuck with the removal and storage fees and possible damage whilst in storage.

What needs to happen is have the legal technicalities sorted out first BEFORE the car is taken.

No it goes back to whoever owns title to it, be it the previous owner or the finance company or whoever. If you buy a car and it turns out to be nicked then you’ve done your money.

I'm pretty sure that if a finance agreement has been defaulted on, the finance company should be going after whoever took out the agreement in the first instance.

Something something possession is 9/10 of the law, something something bona fide purchaser for value, etc.

Where's Breadvan when you need him?

Oh, yeah...

There was a rule (although don’t quote me on it) whereby if a cars ownership changed a given number of times then the finance company could no longer take it back therefore be aware of 2/3 year know old cars with unusually high number of owners.

Which is actually where I guess the question of how many owners has it had comes from when selling a car even though many of whom ask that question don’t actually know why they are asking it....

I'm pretty sure that if a finance agreement has been defaulted on, the finance company should be going after whoever took out the agreement in the first instance.

Something something possession is 9/10 of the law, something something bona fide purchaser for value, etc.

Where's Breadvan when you need him?

Oh, yeah...

See my post above :)

Even if it was all some kind of mix up I can guarantee you would still be stuck with the removal and storage fees and possible damage whilst in storage.

That is fair enough.

If it does turn out to be actually stolen - like, someone still misses their beloved car stolen - you can't just hang on to it though, it needs to go back to its rightful owner.

Things may be different if its a finance company, I bet they'd be willing to deal.

Sorry but I haven't read all the thread. The letter is genuine. I've spoken to insurance companies about this kind of thing before and it's normally that the car has been sold with outstanding finance. As such it was never the owners* car to sell.

Nothing to worry about other than someone somewhere wants some money or the car.

If that's the case then there's a fighting chance they can keep the car. It was the case if you could prove you bought it legitimately they'd leave the vehicle with you and pursue whoever took the finance out, hopefully that's still the case.

Also eBay stuff disappears after 3 months (iirc) but as it was bought through there and the seller's user name is know, you'd have thought eBay themselves would assist the police or possibly a solicitor with proof of the actual listing from the time. 

If that's the case then there's a fighting chance they can keep the car. It was the case if you could prove you bought it legitimately they'd leave the vehicle with you and pursue whoever took the finance out, hopefully that's still the case.

Also eBay stuff disappears after 3 months (iirc) but as it was bought through there and the seller's user name is know, you'd have thought eBay themselves would assist the police or possibly a solicitor with proof of the actual listing from the time.

Yeah it's pretty much this. The finance company really don't care who owns the car now they, as normal, just want their money. The person that signed the agreement will get in the shit and the current owner can buy the car from the finance for X amount.

It's a bit shit to 'get charged twice' but really it comes down to 'you can't buy stolen property even if you didn't know as it's always stolen' type thing.

Hire companies ring for the same thing when a hire car, normally long term, hasn't been returned. They know the cars not actually stolen, they just want their money but there's no other way of doing it. You are technically permanently depriving someone of their property, which is theft.

To me it looks like going by the letter that the girl we bought the car from is the one that’s trying it on as the girlfriends daughter had a quick chat with someone from the station and they know she’s in the right but that means nothing really till we get some sort of confirmation and hopefully find out tomorrow a bit more if the copper is back.

I’ve said to her that till it gets sorted use one of my cars but knowing my luck if I lend her my yellow mini they will take that by mistake lol.

firstly sorry to hear this, sound like a nightmare,

second - is it likely to have finance given the age of it?

It doesn't have to be new to have finance.

Lots of people will leave themselves short or out of pocket to have a "better" car on the drive than the neighbours, even if it means having finance on a 10yr old motor that you can't really pay back.