Bought a car last September and got a letter saying it’s reported stolen

Vince70

Since when did any official letter refer to someones gender? isn't it meant to say 'they'?

Seeing the state of some of the paperwork when we had some dealings with the police and courts a few years ago, I wouldn't read into that at all.

We had the obligatory advice leaflet through the door before Christmas too advising us to be alert during the festive period - on which they had managed to misspell the word festive.

The letter doesn’t look genuine, but that is just a gut feeling. It hasn’t been written quite right and has phishing scam all over it. If it is genuine then they sure made a genuine official document look dodgy! I would take it down to a local police station. Any dealings I have ever had with 101 have been worse than useless (if it is a scam they will be counting on that, operators have little training from my experience) To convince me that the document is real, I would feel he need to be dealing face to face with someone who knew what they were doing.

EDIT: sorry, missed the mention that 101 was called, but still if it were me I would try and see someone in person. Full co-operation if probably for the best but surely it is perfectly legitimate to voice your concern about the way in which the letter has been put. Poor writing suggests scam. If you are only dealing by phone, how do you really know it’s real?

Sounds like someone has sold a car still with finance on it . The finance was never paid and it's the finance company trying to get their car back. I remember reporting a car stolen to one of those 101 bods. Painful, "oh, you've had your car stolen have you ?" I had to rephrase it as a car I owned had been taken without my consent . Found it myself a few days later burnt out but with the brand new exhaust missing and some rusty holed back box on the back seat.

The letter looks official, but it looks like it's typed manually by an officer doing paperwork rather than being run off the system. I'd imagine they've got caught up in some messy breakup, someone's other half sold their car without asking and now it's reached breaking point and they've called the police who have probably rolled their eyes a lot and just done this to placate them.

Afraid not as it wasn’t my call but I can’t remember if I did tell her to do a check at the time as it was quite sometime ago we bought it but on cheapo stuff I never have to be honest.

Here’s the thread from when we picked it up.

http://autoshite.com/topic/33028-mini-bini-now-bought/

It looks like the karma thing never paid off lol.

...might be a case where a previous owner had the car stolen from them, n later recovered; in the 'interim' of those two things happening; police notified etc, n after its been recovered the various admin/ databases not been updated, n its since been papped by ANPR...

I had a car stolen from outside the house here ( a merc 190E- thread about it on here somewhere0 - I spread all its details all about FB n various forums n someone spotted the car; I contacted the gardai/police n they 'recovered the car' from the car park where the thieves had parked it, n had it in their inpound for the next 10days; while I managed to find the car through my own efforts, an gardai classed it as a 'crime they solved' n I later got a questionnaire/ victim of crime statement to fill out... ...I was also called up by a member of an gardai to 'buy a bottle of wine' for another member of an gardai who was 'good/prompt on the phones' getting it recovered...

...having owned the car for 6 years previously, I sold the car 3 months after getting it back; I couldn't see the car in the same light... anyways on advertising it for sale I got a few weird 'caps lock' texts about selling a 'STOLEN CAR'...

...it may just be a case where a previous entry on a Plod database has never been updated etc

Hi, As suggested, it sounds like a tit for tat accusation in a break up and reported it stolen. A police officer is following it up to find out your side. It sounds like you bought it in good faith and you have a paper trail to show that.  If the police officer can see that it could end up being put down as no further action.

Colin

I will be forced to circulate the vehicle as stolen.

So everyone who just checked whether it's reported as stolen evidently can't read.

What's the fuzz about? Go to police, have matter clarified.

The letter doesn’t look genuine,

Show me one official document in the UK that looks genuine.

They all look like Junkdaughter No. 2 has just made them with potato stamps.

All I can add to this is to keep the car hidden away until this is resolved. It would be so easy for the police to arrange recovery of it, only for it and your money to disappear into the system.

Oh and get legal advice. Don't give in if the cops try and bully you. You can get 15 minutes of free advice from a solicitor.

https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com/5-383-2167?transitionType=Default&contextData=(sc.Default)&firstPage=true&comp=pluk&bhcp=1

Eta hopefully that link works. If you've innocently purchased the car when there is outstanding finance they can't just demand the car is returned to them.

I'm a lawyer but not your lawyer etc etc ad infinitum

There is nothing but speculation in this thread. OP won't know anything more until his daughter speaks to the officer who's dealing with it.

If the car genuinely is stolen it will be returned to its rightful owner. Not very nice for the person who has bought it in good faith, but what other outcome could there possibly be? Suggestions to hide it are just a bit silly.

Let's keep the police-bashing to a minimum too, shall we? I'm getting a bit sick of it.

[quote name="SierraMikeHotel" post="1764522" timestamp="1551959964"

Let's keep the police-bashing to a minimum too, shall we? I'm getting a bit sick of it.

Nobody is bashing the police.

I state fact and reality. Sorry but it is not exactly unknown for the police to try to force their wills and opinions on the public and claim its law. This happens a lot. The police are the same as any organisation. There are good guys are there are cunts. You have to be fully prepared for when you meet the cunts as they are not just cunts in this instance but cunts with the law on their side and other cunts ready to back them up.

Sorry but I haven't read all the thread. The letter is genuine. I've spoken to insurance companies about this kind of thing before and it's normally that the car has been sold with outstanding finance. As such it was never the owners* car to sell.

Nothing to worry about other than someone somewhere wants some money or the car.