Iamgroot

'90 P100, FOTU is looming, don't think it's gonna make it again

SO, what was a rather reluctant kind of for sale thread has been modified to turn it into something new.

I got a tiny it of mojo back and decided it was silly to let this truck get to me like that.

For those that haven't seen the earlier thread, while I have owned it, I had the head skimmed and rebuilt with new valves and followers and a brand new old stock camshaft (head gasket was gone when I got it), drove it every day for work, then efore its mot was due, I went-a-poking and removed half the bloody thing, so I basically welded new metal into the floor, back of the cab, inner and outer sills, mammoth task in a council garage, took it for an MOT and it shat a belt on the way, had it fixed there, it passed and then exhibited head gasket symptoms on the return journey, so I had a strop, shut it in my neighbours council garage and left it there over winter.

This truck is definitely a project, the paintwork is terrible, the tailgate is the wrong colour there are holes in the bed and maybe elsewhere, but not in any places that would cause it to fail an MOT. It is also missing the rear silencer but it has been like this since I have had it and it technically isn't an MOT fail as it has a centre silencer, though a rear silencer is only £29 on ebay. It was previously owned by the "Isle of Man Fisheries Board" apparently and imported around 2007?

I'm going to try and add some photos, first one is when I got it and polished the terrible paint, it isn't that shiny now, it lasted about 3 days:

post-26718-0-84269400-1551821587_thumb.jpg

In a past life I used to build cool things like the Chevy pickup I'm parked by here

post-26718-0-35253200-1551821929_thumb.jpg

post-26718-0-52698000-1551821952_thumb.jpg

post-26718-0-51649600-1551821977_thumb.jpg

post-26718-0-46483200-1551822038_thumb.jpg

post-26718-0-81180800-1551822063_thumb.jpg

post-26718-0-96952000-1551822099_thumb.jpg

post-26718-0-46233500-1551822141_thumb.jpg

In the "ford museum" at my mates house that far transit was mine, the nearest and the XR2 were his

post-26718-0-94292000-1551822169_thumb.jpg

post-26718-0-99384800-1551822200_thumb.jpg

I had the pez 2.0 version of the P100 and it was a proper hoot to drive, drifting everywhere when ever there was any slight moistness on the road surface.

I hope you feel better soon and don't have to sell it, it's nice to see a P100 being used as it should be.

Yes I've had lots of fun in this, been a great little truck. And thanks.

I just realised I did the standard autoshite missing out where I am thing, this is in Newtown, Mid-Wales, yes that is a long way from wherever you are, sorry.

Oh and though it would run, I wouldn't actually drive it anywhere except onto a truck or trailer if I were you.

here's what I just added to the first post:

For those that haven't seen the earlier thread, while I have owned it, I had the head skimmed and rebuilt with new valves and followers and a brand new old stock camshaft (head gasket was gone when I got it), drove it every day for work, then before its mot was due, I went-a-poking and removed half the bloody thing, so I basically welded new metal into the floor, back of the cab, inner and outer sills, mammoth task in a council garage, took it for an MOT and it shat a belt on the way, had it fixed there, it passed and then exhibited head gasket symptoms on the return journey, so I had a strop, shut it in my neighbours council garage and left it there over winter.

I got a tiny bit of mojo back and decided it was silly to let this truck get to me like that, so today after work I went and had a look..

post-26718-0-19208300-1555698188_thumb.jpg

It looks a bit sorry for itself, but it deserves to, breaking on me!

Anyway this was why it has been sat there unloved, caused by the old steam fountain, which hilariously was part exhaust smoke:

post-26718-0-86875700-1555698380_thumb.jpg

And very quickly we got to this, strange damage which had me worried as I hadn't noticed it last time, uh-oh:

post-26718-0-75154500-1555698466_thumb.jpg

Anyway, there was no damage under that cover, cam and followers still looking brand new, so that was lucky, and so dear reader, we move on....

As I came to loosen the head bolts, I found one slacker than the others, which wasn't a massive surprise as I have since learned that the torque settings I was given by the engine builder who did the head work for me, were wrong (£$%"^£ &*£$er), so anyway, this gave me some hope that that would be where my problem was...

Turns out, I was spot on!, bear in mind this has sat untouched since October, so thats the reason for the light corrosion

post-26718-0-07897200-1555698935_thumb.jpg

As I cant find my gasket scraper, it will now look like this until I re-stock possibly tomorrow:

post-26718-0-39025600-1555699054_thumb.jpg

also will be re-stocking some super duper flushing gunk and oil and filter for the next instalment!

Haven't updated but I changed the head gasket, put it back together, fired it up, realised the oil return for the turbo had fell off and dumped a load of oil on the garage floor, bollocks!

refitted the pipe, put oil in, threw cat litter on the oil spill and shut the garage door again.

But it's officially running again at least.

Yes, I've totally failed to make any further progress on this, so, apologies for the lack of updates.

Fell into my hole again and haven't managed to muster any get-up and go to get back to work on it. Stupid really, because I know if I got it sold I could buy something like broadswords cavalier, which would make me much happier.

I'm hoping that posting something on this thread will force me back into the garage.

I've just realised how close FOTU is and I still haven't got this to a state I'd trust it to get me there. I've got it booked in for classic parking with two tickets, but it's still broken. I've booked it in twice and not been able to take it.

Bit worried that even if I get it sorted, I won't be interested enough to drive it all the way down there.

On a brighter note I now have my own garage two doors down from my neighbours garage that it currently lives in, so I can move it to mine now, actually, that's probably a bad thing, now I don't even have the pressure of annoying him to try and push me along.