Beko's ZX 1.4 of Temptation - Fin.

beko1987

That ZX looks surprisingly rot free on the front turrets, they rot from underneath where various layers meet. If you spray it underneath with some thin oil/diesel/proper rust killer it may well give you more than another 12 months happy motoring? What are the jacking points like? They are often cabbaged as people abuse them, I personally never jack a ZX off the actual jacking points to avoid such problems.

2 minutes ago, Scruffy Bodger said:

That ZX looks surprisingly rot free on the front turrets, they rot from underneath where various layers meet. If you spray it underneath with some thin oil/diesel/proper rust killer it may well give you more than another 12 months happy motoring? What are the jacking points like? They are often cabbaged as people abuse them, I personally never jack a ZX off the actual jacking points to avoid such problems.

Jacking points are cabbage free! My last 2 weren't though! The very edges of the bottom of the doors is a bit blotchy, but underneath it seems OK, back end is spotless! 

Obv who knows what will be found at the mot as I've not crawled right over it but meh, even if I found anything I couldn't do anything about it. 

2 hours ago, Kiltox said:

A 1997 car will almost certainly have a cat. 

ECP list one at £19 with the current voucher. 

ECP don't offer home delivery on them, nor for the 6 nearest stores to me have any in stock... 

So plan B is formed

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233379021537

3 minutes ago, dean36014 said:

When you scrap it I'll buy the sunroof frame! Fancy coming round and doing the zx estate?

Sunroof doesn't work but I can remove the entire thing before it takes its final drive sure. 

Hoping it'll last winter though, I don't see a reason why it won't. I might be bored a bit but can't deny it's probably the ideal winter beater

4 minutes ago, loserone said:

What's happening with the spotlights? My 206 could do with some assistance with main beam.

Their going back on once the mot is done! I just couldn't find out if they were legal to have or not, and 3 screws, it seemed easier to just hide it. 

Might wire it up a bit better too, @bub2006said he's wanged them on quick and dirty which made them super quick to remove, wouldn't take much to wire them in a bit better, but then again they were perfectly happy as they were... 

1 minute ago, Wingz123 said:

That looks frickin brilliant beko!!! I plan on doing the xantia when I get a chance!!! Same colour silver! You need some period citroen wheel trims now.....that would finish it off

Got any advice on h1 light upgrades? My normal lights are like candles!

No help on light upgrades I'm afraid. I found the lights in my Xantia alright, would a lens clean and some nightbreakers help? 

Xm lights were fucking awful, nothing fixed that! 

When you drove to mine did yiu come off the m40 at j6, then cross country for the last 9 miles? It's those roads, at 11pm which make the spots brilliant! Wonder if I could get a roof bar? 

35 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

That looks frickin brilliant beko!!! I plan on doing the xantia when I get a chance!!! Same colour silver! You need some period citroen wheel trims now.....that would finish it off

Got any advice on h1 light upgrades? My normal lights are like candles!

Biggest upgrade?

Get relays installed at the lights.  The wiring is really thin and you're often seeing 9-10V at the bulbs... especially with a bit of wear on the switch.  Mine are just about passable with the relays fitted, but they're hardly anything to write home about.  The lights on the Lada make them look like candles.

Sadly never going to be great, the reflectors are just too small, as with a lot of 90s motors.

Biggest upgrade?
Get relays installed at the lights.  The wiring is really thin and you're often seeing 9-10V at the bulbs... especially with a bit of wear on the switch.  Mine are just about passable with the relays fitted, but they're hardly anything to write home about.  The lights on the Lada make them look like candles.
Sadly never going to be great, the reflectors are just too small, as with a lot of 90s motors.
I was just away to say relays. Both my xantia had acceptable lights, not brilliant but not crap either, the first one was a series1, the second a series 2. I never felt the need to see if any of them had relays fitted, but given the provenance of both cars it wouldnt surprise me if they had. One of them quite possibly fitted by yourself Zel

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, Daviemck2006 said:

I was just away to say relays. Both my xantia had acceptable lights, not brilliant but not crap either, the first one was a series1, the second a series 2. I never felt the need to see if any of them had relays fitted, but given the provenance of both cars it wouldnt surprise me if they had. One of them quite possibly fitted by yourself Zel emoji23.png

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I honestly can't remember if I did that or not...quite a bit of wiring was poked around with on the front of that car.  Gabby definitely had better lights than the Activa though (the Series 2 cars use H7 rather than H1 lamps, so there definitely were changes to the design aside from the slightly less square lens).

They're definitely the poorest of any on my driveway just now though.  On a wet road in particular I've found myself having to put the front fogs on when I've got an oncoming Audi/VW/BMW/Range Rover so I've any hope of keeping track of the side of the road.  Don't have that same issue in any of the other motors on the fleet just now...even though the van was close before it was upgraded to H4 lamps.

Xantia is the one car I might actually seriously look into some LED options for one day as the lights do need help.

Not the worst headlights I've had on a modern car though.  That honour goes to the first gen Ford Fusion my folks had.  They were diabolically bad...and that was before there were HID equipped cars everywhere.  If you got something oncoming on a country road (so no lane markings or cats eyes) and it was anything other than a moonlit night, you basically just had to pull over and wait for them to pass.  Main beam was just about passable, but dip was just useless.  We did bring it up at the garage, but apparently they're just like that - and it was something they'd had a lot of complaints about apparently.

Points I've noticed over the past 48 hours:

Dipped beam pattern is waaaaaay better without the light bar... 

The anpr barrier at work works with the car! No more having to drive stupidly close to the pass swiper so I don't have to get out the car to swipe it open... 

I could buy my car 3 times over and it would come to a little less than my colleague just spent on a major service and 2 new tyres on his merc c220 something. It's not all bad though, he got to be wafted about in comfort the last 2 days

Now it's waxed, all the water floods off at 45mph and my cars bone dry 23 miles later

45 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Points I've noticed over the past 48 hours:

Dipped beam pattern is waaaaaay better without the light bar... 

The anpr barrier at work works with the car! No more having to drive stupidly close to the pass swioer so I don't have to get out the car to swipe it open... 

I could buy my car 3 times over and it would come to a little less than my colleague just spent on a major service and 2 new tyres on his merc c220 something. It's not all bad though, he got to be wafted about in comfort the last 2 days

Now it's waxed, all the water floods off at 45mph and my cars bone dry 23 miles later

I reckon mounting the plate bar upside down would yield both better ANPR recognition and headlight performance whilst barely hindering the spots 

10 hours ago, Kiltox said:

I reckon mounting the plate bar upside down would yield both better ANPR recognition and headlight performance whilst barely hindering the spots 

FFS now you've got me looking at LED light bars and a slimmer mount... Upside down it would sit under the numberplate a treat

Well fuck

Old cat came off very easily, nice job, it fully snapped off the rusty bit though. No bother, new one is right here... 

Fucking exhaust doesn't fit... Either the cat is shorter, or it's correct and the rest of the exhaust is fucked... It's got a non zx backbox on as there's too many hangars... Wtf do I do! 

I can send the cat back, I had an email telling me I could... But I can't put the old one back on... 

I could buy the rest of the exhaust, but if the cat is too short I'll be no better off 

The entire thing is fitted, with 4 cable ties basically holding the whole system up, and it's not fitted properly at all, doesn't sit right as I've had to pull the back box basically under the axle a bit. 

Fuckity fuck

Unless any welder shiters are within not far of Thame, and would entertain me removing the exhaust, and them cutting and welding a few mm of pipe into the centre section, that's about all I can think of...