Beko's ZX 1.4 of Temptation - Fin.

beko1987

Good effort so far, those tyres are a bit shit.

Have you actually tried the 406 wheels?

No I haven't. But I think even without trying that the rears will foul the arches... Should try really, but their much wider too so even if they bolt up, I'm not sure they'll steer... Keep meaning to try one of those rolling radius calculators.

What a nice car, tidier now too.

Its not bad is it! I was looking at the images from my old blue 1.4 the other night and it was much tattier. I think it's been properly neglected over the last couple of years until Daz saved it, saying that it's mot history is very clean so it must have been loved a bit.

It just needs cleaning, and I want to do the cambelt and waterpump because the parts are piss cheap and I found a guide from the French car guru who is Jim Eastment on the tu3 and it looks a piece of piss. Coolant looks very watery too so thayll do good to be changed!

I can deal with these small easy jobs, it's when proper equipment is needed that I become out of my depth

What size are the tyres? The ZX 16v's were fitted with 195 50 15's standard so if the offset is the same and they are not much bigger than that you may have a chance of them fitting?

175/65/14s fitted now

406 wheels are 15" steels with 195/65/15's

I really do hope they fit, not least because...

Top stuff, glad I could teach you a detailing trick or two:) makes some difference!

Looks a solid wee car - reckon it'll do you well.

You'll have more subscribers than The Car Cleaning Guru on youtube if you start!

Its not bad. I'd been pondering for a while about if I really needed a 2l turbo derv for my commute, and I don't think I do. They just keep coming up cheap! The Zafira going to feel like a rocket when I next drive it and it always felt slow before!

Those tyres won't work - generally the advice is to keep the tyre circumference within 1%..

These are 8.7% larger. Be very careful. The increased width may mean they foul on suspension components ( like the struts) and the increased circumference will likely mean they can catch in the arches - especially the front.

It's also going to drop the revs putting them larger wheels on which in turn could have a detrimental effect on the acceleration. Something to consider is the speed too. Maybe put some thin tape strips at new points on the binnacle for 30,40,50,60 and 70

Jesus if the acceleration is any worse it'll stall at 45mph!

Fair consideration! Especially with all the hills I go up, don't want to shred the gearbox or similar!

I didn't think I'd even be able to turn the wheels fully tbh... Your a man of experience, I shall not bother and stick to plan A, which is to swap them for some zx bits.

Ill just go back to hoping the tyres don't explode until payday!

Just don't want a tyre to run though so you have Mair shit to fix:)

These Uniroyal rainexperts are £34 a corner (and likely £10 a wheel fitting)

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/uniroyal/rainexpert-3/175-65-r14-82t-79918

Had them on the Audi, and use the rainsports on the Clios - good tyres and not the most expensive.

I think Vulgalour even has some on the princess and was raving about them:)

Monday then! I'm on annual leave today as Amy has a hospital appointment (and it's a bad day at work I think, can see many hangouts conversations going on!) so myself and Charlie finished off the bits I wanted to do to the ZX. I found a Dyson DC40 Mk2 in the shed, and it worked when I turned it on (only had it 6 months without trying it...)

post-5612-0-93697900-1552304017_thumb.jpg

This kept the boy entertained

post-5612-0-50776200-1552304039_thumb.jpg

Whilst I went around all the glass on the inside with Autoglym Glass Polish (and the outside of the side windows, couldn't be bothered about the outside of the windscreen and boot today)

post-5612-0-04170000-1552304087_thumb.jpg

This was left to haze whilst the interior plastics were sorted with G101 and various detailing brushes 

post-5612-0-65644900-1552304132_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-39119600-1552304147_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-00178300-1552304176_thumb.jpg

That all scrubbed and dried off, I set about with some Poorboys New Look Trim Gel. It goes on, is left for half an hour then buffed off. 50/50 of the dash

post-5612-0-44411700-1552304369_thumb.jpg

And some general afters

post-5612-0-16991400-1552304400_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-61617700-1552304418_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-21651100-1552304435_thumb.jpg

Much better! Ran the Sebo around again to make it as spotless as it can be and that will do for now! Still need to shampoo the drivers side carpets but the smell has gone now so it's not as urgent, and I can't be bothered now... Will attack that in one go another day. It can be driven now until the end of the month when I need to throw a bit of cash at it, hoping our bonus amount letters come through soon so I can start planning!

I did find this though! Bought it when I had the Xantia and never used it (same with the blower motor resistor thats in it's box still if anyone needs one? Unless it'll fit the ZX in which case I'll keep it as a spare). Cleaned a little patch of the rear glass and stuck it on! It's a bit bent so not 100% but looks the part

post-5612-0-82488200-1552304619_thumb.jpg

I have a couple of AS dealer stickers somewhere, will hunt one out and fit that to the other side, and take the GB sticker off as I don't even have a passport, so no need for that!

Didn't bother trying the wheels. I have fears of ripping the gearbox/driveshafts to shreds or something, their already swapped in principle with our leading purveyor of 90's french chod parts for some ZX bits anyway, I'll get some rainexperts on payday, they wore fairly quickly but that was in an XUD so a heavier engine and more raw power! Plus their cheap enough that I can probably just lob 4 on...

Looking miles better - genuinely impressed at how well that carpet came out, as it looked pretty grim in the photos :) 

What size are the tyres? The ZX 16v's were fitted with 195 50 15's standard so if the offset is the same and they are not much bigger than that you may have a chance of them fitting?

Remember that the ZX 16v had a different rear arch profile - I know that on my old ZX Volcane it was marginal with 195/50R15 tyres and would occasionally catch on the outer lip on the rear.  Was fine on the front through.

You get the same issue on 205's - GTi shells have a much more accommodating rear arch profile and allow you to run wheel/tyre combinations that would rub badly on base model shells.

Looking miles better - genuinely impressed at how well that carpet came out, as it looked pretty grim in the photos :)

Remember that the ZX 16v had a different rear arch profile - I know that on my old ZX Volcane it was marginal with 195/50R15 tyres and would occasionally catch on the outer lip on the rear. Was fine on the front through.

You get the same issue on 205's - GTi shells have a much more accommodating rear arch profile and allow you to run wheel/tyre combinations that would rub badly on base model shells.

Thanks! It's still fairly grim, but should come up OK with a proper session if the bit I've done is anything to go by!

Remember that the ZX 16v had a different rear arch profile - I know that on my old ZX Volcane it was marginal with 195/50R15 tyres and would occasionally catch on the outer lip on the rear.  Was fine on the front through.

Really, what ET were you using? I used to run 16v alloys on my TD Volcane with various 195/50/15's including ones with rim protectors and never had a single problem with any sort of rubbing on the front, back, inner wing or outer lip, ever. I'll have a look at the 16v next time I'm near it as never heard of any differences.

• 2 weeks later...