Beko's ZX 1.4 of Temptation - Fin.

beko1987

Time for the yearly post MOT job list then!

Tweak exhaust up so it stops bloody rattling
Rear bushes, back end feels wooden
New brake pedal cover
Clutch bite point is moving slowly towards the floor... Can this be adjusted? Clutch itself seems fine, just the bite point
Sort the shit gearchange out (worn bushes I think, it rattles at idle when out of gear

Then an oil change, maybe look for that leak, maybe not...

The front end feels a bit wooden over bumps too, but since it has no advisories I'm tempted to leave it over winter, the roads are shit enough as it all, all the repairs from 2/3 years ago are breaking up everywhere, so it'll get some hammer

Otherwise, another fine @bub2006 purchase!

6 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Time to swap it for something far more unreliable surely 

Stop it, I've been having those thoughts. I mean I am that stupid to swap a fully mot'd, recent cambelt and recent tyre'd car for something a bit bigger and comfier, but I'd be a bit stupid too... 

5 minutes ago, loserone said:

Oh that one! Remember heavily wanting and loving it at SF19 but it requires a loving home with someone who owns a welder I think, it's just a bit too beyond my skill set. 

Unless you want a fully working xbox m8 and a Dyson?

6 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

Can you elaborate on gearbox bushes? My xantia makes a rattle with the clutch out that goes when pressed in.....they dont have dmfs so put it down to thrust release bearing? Unless it is bushes like yours?

Well I can try, not actually investigated it yet, but in neutral at idle, the whole things vibrates to fuck, a proper metallic sound. gearstick vibrates in tune too.

If I rest my hand on my knob the noise goes away a bit
If I dip the clutch it goes away a bit
If I stick it into gear and keep the clutch down it's silent
Putting it into gear does require a bit of a push, it's not as smooth as it should be, but it goes in, likewise going between the gates is a bit vague. I've crunched changes before too where I've been too soft on the movement.

Which is making me thing gear linkage bushes or similar, it's been happily doing it since I bought it so I doubt it's the clutch, although the bite point is really low down, pulling away in 1st isn't as pretty as it could be, there's not so much a bite point as a bite smear, although it's happy in all other gears. Have been thinking of changing the gearbox fluid too, it doesnt look that tricky of a job

• 2 months later...

It's the time of the year where I get my yearly bonus, and some fag packet maths works out I'll get £3/400 this year. This combined with using some of my youtube ad revenue money has me thinking about vehicles. Usually it's an easy choice as the outgoing car breaks/has a massive issue looming/is already fucked. But not this time...

The ZX is an good car. Door edges are going a bit brown (could catch that easily) and the MOT tester and the boss of the garage said it's bloody clean underneath (which is where they were for 15 minutes trying to get a pass out of the emissions machine as I'd not tightened a clamp properly) It's been very reliable, it's fairly comfy for 70% of the driving I do and generally just plods on with no bother. But it does need a round of work doing to it. Nothing major really:

Service (inc new plugs as the ones fitted are shite
Gearbox fluid change
Rear shocks and bushes
Tie the rear passenger door lock onto someone elses car and see if we can pull it out a bit so the door shuts first time, rather than bouncing off the latch (historical crash damage on that side
Finish replacing the exhaust, new centre section and backbox, and fit a premium* cheapy new exhaust system, the backbox is properly ropey and full of broken bits of backbox
Recent wobble from the front brakes if lightly pressed
Diagnose the shit gearchange (linkages, can hear them jangling about at idle in neutral

None of the above is that difficult really, nor expensive. The tyres are very recent and excellent all round, cambelt/pump/tensioners are all a year old. But... There's various noises when it drives from the engine bay, which could be aux belt tensioner related, or something more sinister. I'd want to add a visit to someone who is a 1.4 guru to the above list and see if they find anything, the sort of person who can diagnose from listening to the idle from 10 years sort of thing.

BUT... With all of the above, I'm constantly wanting a slightly bigger and maybe slightly more powerful car. 70% of the time the little 1.4 with it's screaming above 70mph is fine. But driving to Cannock for example, it's just not lovely at speed on the motorway. Clutch bite point is very high, first is becoming noticably vague to find. Am I going to fix her up nicely and still want something bigger and comfier? If so, I would be better just buying an new car, and using the ZX to save on train fares to collect said new car, just handing the keys to someone near wherever I need to go... Or with help from fellow shitters we stick it through the ring at cannock with no reserve and laugh heartily, but it would so someone a good turn for free/£100 more than 5 minutes of fun and a winning bid of 97p.

Also, something I've been increasingly concerned about is my dad and gran are in poor health/old, and I know it's going to be a hateful thing to do a no hold barred/know where all the speed cameras are/2am dash to Peterborough in should/when 'the phonecall' comes...

It's a dilemma, and one that I want to solve before the money comes in, as there will only be a small window before it's spent on something or other!

What would I want in an car?

40mpg+, not fussed if that's Petrol, Diesel or Veg
5 Doors, not massivly wanting an estate
I do miss the 6th gear that the Gooner had a bit
Fairly reliable or at least cheap to fix if it goes wrong
No DMF or DPF

WWASD? (What Would Autoshite Do?)

Couldnt afford a Leaf! Would be fine for my commute but all the OMGYOUMUSTGETANHYBRID brigade usually forget that suddenly spending £afewhundred on a lease sucks when I dont spend £anything a month keeping my current car on the road.

I posted up in @jamiechod s mondeo page and got shown a lovely one that was apparently the age where their reliable, 1.8tddi focus, disastra, vectra etc, all those would be fine. Not sure I want a 406 again, it felt like an older car that had been made modern (mine was a facelift 2002). Driving mr Cat's 405 for a few hours last year made me like those, just felt more right, being of it's age and not trying to hide it

I'm not fussy, just partly bored, partly just missing a bigger saloon. And I can only afford to do one!