Beko's ZX 1.4 of Temptation - Fin.

beko1987

3 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Is the cat actually too short or is it another bit of the system that is wrong? How does it compare to what you’ve taken off I mean?

I gave it a quick offer up and it seems fine, but by the time I realised it was all bolted up and I was running out of time (want to pick eva up from school). 

The back ox has a random hangar that goes to nothing on the car but it did fit utterly fine before... So I'm almost tempted to say that's fine

Can't even put the old one on, think it's too fucked to even be welded... 

IMG_20191115_131309.thumb.jpg.5fd1390ec98ebf430991e9f94191e72c.jpg

1 minute ago, Andyrew said:

Can probably weld that up for you dude

That would be awesome! Where are you again? I've got the kids this weekend though which makes it all a pain, not sure if it'll last a whole week either, need to at least go out and add loads of wire to the cable ties so they don't melt... 

Im Over hockliffe. I'm working till 12 this Sunday morning then I've got front brakes to change on an Astra for my other halfs brother.  So I could probably be at my workshop around 2.30 onwards unless something goes tits up on his Astra. 

Did the cat come of easily enough?

26 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Im Over hockliffe. I'm working till 12 this Sunday morning then I've got front brakes to change on an Astra for my other halfs brother.  So I could probably be at my workshop around 2.30 onwards unless something goes tits up on his Astra. 

Did the cat come of easily enough?

That's very generous, let me check if that could work...

Cat came off very easily, and is still off the car. I just need to rig the shit show that's on there up enough to survive the drive... 

I do have a plan A which is a bloke I know a few streets away but he's not too reliable and likes a drink so who knows if he's about... 

3 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

That's very generous, let me check if that could work...

Cat came off very easily, and is still off the car. I just need to rig the shit show that's on there up enough to survive the drive... 

I do have a plan A which is a bloke I know a few streets away but he's not too reliable and likes a drink so who knows if he's about... 

You can borrow my AX if you need a car this weekend/next week?

I could come down tonight and you could come home with me and take the car away.

19 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

You can borrow my AX if you need a car this weekend/next week?

I could come down tonight and you could come home with me and take the car away.

Thunderously tempting. I shouldn't need it this weekend (worst case I'll nip into town) but could I keep this in mind incase I'm stumped for next week? Plus I've got the children now and their tired

Amy's just dropped the kids off and said she should be able to have them back sooner on Sunday so I can take Mr Andrew up on his offer... But alot could change and it's nice to have backup plans! 

Stupid cars! Or more importantly, stupid pattern parts. The extra annoyance is I don't really know which part to get. Searching around brings up a plethora of different measurements and stock imagery for a cat. And ebay just shows centre pipes with front silencer, no straight through pipes. Unless I should have a centre silencer pipe, didn't fully study the space available underneath... But then why did the old one fit? Unless the centre section/back box have been welded about in the past... It's turning into parts roulette. But if it can be welded to a non leaky standard that'll be half the battle

12 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Welding up what I assume is the O.E cat will be better than an aftermarket one anyways. 

This is the system that came up on the system at work. 

20191115_161324.thumb.jpg.3c9991aa257274cc46f8f18450a78669.jpg

There we go then, I do have a random bodge of an exhaust, that front silencer is a straight pipe! 

That makes sense, wonder how the centre pipe's been made longer then? Or indeed the new cat is the wrong size. Handily I have an email from the ebay seller confirming that as I double checked fitment with them they will accept a return...

In other news, my local welder replied and said run it over to him tomorrow morning and he'll have it done by lunchtime... SO that's plan A.

In even more other news, I bought a brochure on Ebay! it came today and whilst I'm cross with the car now, the brochure is still nice

01.thumb.jpeg.6a04473a2f37fbce5773339fe123ef48.jpeg

02.thumb.jpeg.6de35c7e1cbcfb40432db1bdff5a423c.jpeg02.thumb.jpeg.6de35c7e1cbcfb40432db1bdff5a423c.jpeg

03.thumb.jpeg.dd797ba3c8f0b8317a31adad47f5aece.jpeg

04.thumb.jpeg.f8f4dd75ada6c9f4b0a899ee244745c7.jpeg

@Andyrew it's Plaza actually, not Dalican! My exhaust tip looks the same as the one on the car in the picture too... Maybe that's original/legit (it looks in very good condition for 21 years old mind... it's got a bloody crack around the back flange too but seems solid enough for now.

Part of me wishes I was rich enough to just throw the rest of the exhaust at it, but an overwhelming majority of me feels the pattern cat might be at fault. But if the cheap cats are no good, what happens when the original cat really does fail? James Brown time for the car? OEM cat at £££££?

Ok, plan A* is in action! My friend did text back, and said run it round now and he'll take it into work tomorrow morning! He said it should be weldable too.

Luckily I hadn't got the kids into their pyjamas yet so we went for a walk and came back via all the fucked car parks on the estate that are full of massive lakes of water

Mmmm

A new middle silencer section and back box will set me back £63... 

A new plan is forming in my head...

Get old cat welded, get MOT passed*
Keep the new cat, then next year buy the rest of the bits
Fit all the bits.
????
Profit (and do the job properly)

Of course I could have sold it by then, scrapped it by then or the repair works so well I just leave it the fuck alone. 

Plan implemented! Tomorrow morning I shall brave it by driving the kids into town to buy sweets and stuff, then Amy can come and get them a bit earlier on Sunday and I'll get it fitted. it's a very easy job, much easier on the petrol than diesel as the subframe is different so access is easier!

Sat having a fag just now, and I notice the original markings on the cat I took off the zx... 

IMG_20191117_134326.thumb.jpg.dea9fdd43aed064c141bdf3ea946fda2.jpg

Google calls that a 306,berlingo and partner cat... 

https://www.eurofrance.pl/katalizator-170622-psa-k026-1-4-peugeot-partner-berlingo-citroen.html

Which although I would also assume would fit fine, it doesn't. Thinking now the cat I bought probably was correct, but the rest of the system has been pieced together by someone who was quite good at it. 

Not fitted it yet, on the cards for later this afternoon

Amy collected Charlie a bit earlier today, and Eva went out to play. I got a spot on the road behind the gate, although not enough for the ramps so I did it all with just an axle stand... 

IMG_20191117_145420.thumb.jpg.d743952390905e00ead873e391da3d06.jpg

I'm a bit used to this now so 18 minutes later, the job was jobbed and its all fixed! Silent now, and the system is in OK order so that'll do for winter at least! 

New cat is shorter

IMG_20191117_150359.thumb.jpg.08bd80183b46f849a461687f9eaac06f.jpg

Meh, might still try to blag a return on it. 50/50 to leave it in the shed and get a zx centre pipe a d back box, but the (whatever it is) system on is pretty good... 

The real test will be at 70 tomorrow! 

• 3 weeks later...