Beko's ZX 1.4 of Temptation - Fin.

beko1987

17 minutes ago, stephen01 said:

Hand your bonus money to a trusted friend, run your current ZX until it dies, just chuck some oil in, scrap when it breaks for £100, scrap money plus bonus money = buy new car from here. 

The last 3 years I've had 5 cars put 4 through MOT's , scrapped 1, I've sold 4, while I'm not making money on them my loss on each car is only a couple of hundred quid, not bad really. 

That's not a terrible shout, even £200 would get me to work and back quickly... 

I'm brain dead now, that was a boring meeting... 

50 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Did some pricing up and I can beat some of those prices with shitters discount or get better quality at same price. 

KYB decent rear shocks £14 +vat each.   

Found a back box in stock, Looking for a centre section at the other shop as it says we have one. 

What oil you put in this fine beast?

It gets cheap oil... whatever ECP have on offer usually!

It wont be until march/april so don't rush, but what would oil, oil filter, front discs and pads and 2 rear subframe bushes set me back?

48 minutes ago, hairnet said:

fix the safety critical stuff

run into ground

cos if you spend and then it lets you down thats money wasted

did this with c4 it died and coulda fixed it but didnt love it or think it was worth it even tho fixed it woulda plodded on

you want a pez japanese something 1.4-1.8 litre thats not been a taxi

I normally get flamed for saying run it into the ground! You can’t save ‘em all. 

6 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I normally get flamed for saying run it into the ground! You can’t save ‘em all. 

I'm not sure I want to run it into the ground though... I've done that to the last 5 cars I've had, doesn't seem right... It'll just wait for the wrong time to break that little thing I could have replaced before it snapped...

6 minutes ago, hairnet said:

yeah but its a very cheap (dont kill me) old car

its family transport - dont be sentimental (MENTAL) over something needed if it was a toy or special then maybe

they dont last forever

use it up and move on :)

Or I can use it to maybe have a little collection adventure and avoid public transport whilst it still works...

It’s a difficult decision, my last car was pissing oil from the crank end seal. Could have fitted another clutch to the tune of £450 but realistically it wasn’t worth it, it was starting to go at the end of the sills and it was leaking water in every time it rained. I’d had enough. Ultimately it’s a car, it’s not a mission in life to keep it running under any circumstances. As it goes I sold it for £400 and put the £400 into what turned out to be a much better car in the end. 

My perspective is that at this level run it, Service it and keep on top of jobs but once it’s starting to cost you or there’s a multitude of jobs coming up then sack it off. Not an easy judgement to make but usually your gut feelings right. 

3 minutes ago, sierraman said:

It’s a difficult decision, my last car was pissing oil from the crank end seal. Could have fitted another clutch to the tune of £450 but realistically it wasn’t worth it, it was starting to go at the end of the sills and it was leaking water in every time it rained. I’d had enough. Ultimately it’s a car, it’s not a mission in life to keep it running under any circumstances. As it goes I sold it for £400 and put the £400 into what turned out to be a much better car in the end. 

My perspective is that at this level run it, Service it and keep on top of jobs but once it’s starting to cost you or there’s a multitude of jobs coming up then sack it off. Not an easy judgement to make but usually your gut feelings right. 

That's how both Lagunas and the 406 died, massive jobs came up/became apparent whilst working. Little bit of tinkering with the ZX will see it right* for a while

One thing in the ZX's favour is shopping for car insurance it's £29 a month... Plus the £14 a month tax.

@hairnet I'd love a Sierra. Any going for £3/£400 that have a valid and legal MOT?

I'll look at the prices on the quote tomorow. 

I did bosch filter (cheap as chips) if you use 10w40 I have it in a barrel at the workshop so if you wanted to do it at my workshop probably works out about £12 if you pay for what oil you use out the barrel. 

Discs and pads  in apec, I think came in at £25.00 

bushes like you had in the screenshot £12 pair. Febi brand I think. 

I found the back box (that's one flaccid tailpipe!l) boss was having a rummage for the centre section at the other shop.  exhaust sections I think they will be about a £15 each to get rid. 

20200210_161811.thumb.jpg.db5c52c296905fae5760b6947e4700e7.jpg

1 minute ago, Andyrew said:

I'll look at the prices on the quote tomorow. 

I did bosch filter (cheap as chips) if you use 10w40 I have it in a barrel at the workshop so if you wanted to do it at my workshop probably works out about £12 if you pay for what oil you use out the barrel. 

Discs and pads  in apec, I think came in at £25.00 

bushes like you had in the screenshot £12 pair. Febi brand I think. 

I found the back box (that's one flaccid tailpipe!l) boss was having a rummage for the centre section at the other shop.  exhaust sections I think they will be about a £15 each to get rid. 

20200210_161811.thumb.jpg.db5c52c296905fae5760b6947e4700e7.jpg

Damn, this is all tempting, especially as I have a DC01 to collect...

Having a gumtree/auto trader/car and classic search reveals fuck all about so the buy a new car caper is on hold for now at the very least!

you'd have a lift too wouldnt you so I could fit the exhaust whilst not lying in a puddle and check out the gear linkage without laying in a puddle and getting eyefulls of shit...

You are now plan A!

No lift I'm affraid the floor is rather sloped But it can be indoors if needed, and numerous lifting devices to get the car off the ground. Pela pump etc etc.  

If you are keeping an eye out for something else I wouldn't go mental spending on stuff that isn't broke but basic service and maintenance, few consumables helps keep the car ticking along for the time its in your possession and im sure it would roffle alright when something else on here tickles your pickle for the right price. 

I'm sure @Six-cylinder  would pop over and witness the shenanigans.

22 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Indoor works! 

It's more of a dilemma than I'd like! For £notalot I can vastly improve the car. But would I still be bored of it when done? 

Maybe, but it'd be infinitely more roffleable

Let's play the game then, just incase my idea of a good car is fucking woeful, and to bounce ideas about and see what sticks. 

Honda Civic 1.5 (power to weight ratio sounds a bit shit though) 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001296721400?advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=500&postcode=sl71tb&page=6&radius=30&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used

I wonder if Pedro would take an IBM Thinkpad T40 tnite m8? 

Please view this ad:

Excellent conditions. Nice car for the price    £499 OBO,
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/excellent-conditions-nice-car-for-the-price-499-obo/1363929065?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: £ 499

It's a cheap old car, yes.  However it's a pretty decent cheap old car from what I recall seeing of it.  I'd say keep it going.  Then again "Better the devil you know" does tend to be one of my favourite approaches.

Also thinking of you Beko... I've still got our old Dyson DC24 here which got chucked in a corner when yet another clip broke a couple of months back.  Any use to you as a parts machine or tidy & sell job? 

3 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

It's a cheap old car, yes.  However it's a pretty decent cheap old car from what I recall seeing of it.  I'd say keep it going.  Then again "Better the devil you know" does tend to be one of my favourite approaches.

Also thinking of you Beko... I've still got our old Dyson DC24 here which got chucked in a corner when yet another clip broke a couple of months back.  Any use to you as a parts machine or tidy & sell job? 

Very kind of you to think of me, but ive got 4 of the sodding things atm! One very rare white Drawing one that's fucked it's motor and brushroll motor (tadts), 2 decent normal ones and one bodily fucked but decent motor one! Need to smash them all apart and make 2 sellers, get my drawing up to snuff and lob everything else in the green bin one day! 

No worries.  You're welcome to the brush roll if that's useful.  It works fine - just has detached itself from the machine.

I'll probably make it into a cylinder format cleaner for use in the garage then as the suction provided is decent, has just always been such a clunky thing to use so I've no interest in retaining its use as an upright.