Unusual What-Car Request

72_square

Seeking advice from the experts on here.  I have an issue that requires help:

My mum (getting on for 85) lives alone in a 3 bed semi and has lived there for the last 40-50 years.  Doesn't want to move and to be fair doesn't really need to at the moment.  Her house has a garage and drive.  However, some twat in the street keeps parking a van outside her house.  She doesn't have a car and cannot drive.  The family haven't got an issue with the van guy, but you know what old un's are like, she sits in the armchair all day and stares at this van (when its there).  It gets her upset and wound up and generally depresses her.  She's already given the fella a bollocking and that worked for a few months, but now he's back.  Obviously I could repeat the bollocking along the lines of you cannot park that legal, roadworthy van in a legal parking space outside my mums house......and make myself look a twat as well.  Anyway, I guess if its not his van there, it will be someone else's car.

Hence, I've said fuck it, I'll buy a banger, tax and insure it and drop it outside my mums house so that she does not have to worry about it.  Seems a bit extreme I know, but if it keeps my mum happy, then its worth it for less hassle.

So, what's the cheapest car to buy with 12months MOT and £30 or less tax.  Will have to go with zero no claims, as my other no claims are already on my other cars.  Car will sit there full time and not move, other than to the MOT station and back.

Just looked at a £600 alto.  Insurance on that was £250

Coventry.  Not a bad area, postcode CV4.

I hate insurance companies, why does TPFT, cost more than comprehensive and why is third party only, the most fucking expensive?  Tossers.

1.2 corsa coming in at £240 insurance.

How about trying to have a chat with the guy first? Whilst there are knobheads the chances are the guy just doesn’t understand the stress it’s causing. The vast majority of people would not go out of their way to upset a little old lady. Or perhaps offer him the parking spot on the drive? That way he is happy, she isn’t looking at it and any scumbags in the area would expect the house to be home to a hairy arsed builder rather than a vulnerable old lady.

You can stick a car there for me if you’d like...? I have a focus tdci here which is £30 to tax. It is a 59’ so wouldn’t look too out of place...

It isn’t running at the moment and I’m really not sure why but haven’t got round to looking at it as yet.

I’ll stick it on my trade policy

The roads are getting full up again, there is a mass shortage of parking, villages are being blighted by commuters moderns.. Even my dickhead neighbour has a drive but because he's a dickhead he parks his Merc 250CDI in the close taking up a parking space for someone that actually needs it.. There is a scourge of car crime in the area I live in at the moment.. You never know who might be next.. Some people can't be spoken to arrogance seems to be epidemic in the younger generations ( Not all, just some )..

Is the view from your Mums place a good one ? Across fields etc ?.. Gone are the days of dumping a skip outside as you need a license from the Council nowadays..

We had exactly the same problem at our house with a scaffold truck that drove my missus insane. He would always seem to finish work when she was on the school run and park right outside our house. If he beat her home on a Friday we would be looking at scaffold poles out of our lounge window all weekend. My wife was actually getting anxiety when she was driving home in case he was there and he didn’t even live in our road. I spoke to him once and he just grunted at me and walked off.

The bonus about it was the wife likes me having extra cars so I can just rotate them outside our house so he doesn’t park there.

I feel for your mum as mine is now 86 and can get very stressed and anxious over the smallest of things.

You should be able to get a cheap classic policy for even a retro car as it will be a second car and even though you will have no NCB. Are you stating on the policy what mileage you will be doing for example only 1000 miles? And are you using a comparison site? Also as I found this morning on my latest buy when using confused.com that I wanted my policy to start today the cheapest was £185. I tried it to start tomorrow and it was £165 and on Tuesday £145. I think they hold you to ransom if you need insurance that day! The other option is if it’s a small space what about a moped plonked in the middle? Although the knob head will probably move it!

Good luck my friend.

Thanks for the thoughts.  Garage has a family members trailer tent it in.  Drive is used by the family as needed.  All of the houses on the street have drives and to be fair most of the street is fairly empty.  It's nothing pretty to look at and my mum doesn't have a fantastic view.  She just doesn't like this fella parking outside her house.  She hasn't got a lot to think about, so this really becomes a major obsession.  It got so bad last time, she wanted to move house.  For her peace of mind, I'd rather just buy a shit box and drop it outside.  I could go and chew this guys ear off, but if its not his van, it going to be someone else's car there.

I had as good screw around money supermarket last night and chucked a load of cars in.  Citroen C1 was coming up the cheapest, followed by a nissan pixo.  

This:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/triumph-dolomite/264214335452?hash=item3d8466cfdc:g:ahgAAOSwNwhcdIVQ

No tax or MoT to worry about, insurance will be <£100.

Put a cover on it and it won't deteriorate much, and you'll make your money back (plus a bit, perhaps) when you sell.

Is it the guys own van or a sign written corporate van?

I've had to tell people where they can and can't park after some residents complained to head office about the van.

One poor sod had parked in the same spot for twenty years until a new neighbor complained and he had to shift it.

Not because it was wrong to park there, just because reputation is everything, customer is king and all that.

(I also got blatently false tweeted accusations of him throwing rubbish out the van window and other things. I think he had upset someone).

In my experience it's the neighborhood busybodies, who are the first to pick up the phone to the office to complain, who knock on the door asking "I see you're an electrician? Because blah blah is blah blahing"

This is why, well one of the whys I don't like having a van from the office. Too obvious innit?

Seeking advice from the experts on here.  I have an issue that requires help:

My mum (getting on for 85) lives alone in a 3 bed semi and has lived there for the last 40-50 years.  Doesn't want to move and to be fair doesn't really need to at the moment.  Her house has a garage and drive.  However, some twat in the street keeps parking a van outside her house.  She doesn't have a car and cannot drive.  The family haven't got an issue with the van guy, but you know what old un's are like, she sits in the armchair all day and stares at this van (when its there).  It gets her upset and wound up and generally depresses her.  She's already given the fella a bollocking and that worked for a few months, but now he's back.  Obviously I could repeat the bollocking along the lines of you cannot park that legal, roadworthy van in a legal parking space outside my mums house......and make myself look a twat as well.  Anyway, I guess if its not his van there, it will be someone else's car.

Hence, I've said fuck it, I'll buy a banger, tax and insure it and drop it outside my mums house so that she does not have to worry about it.  Seems a bit extreme I know, but if it keeps my mum happy, then its worth it for less hassle.

So, what's the cheapest car to buy with 12months MOT and £30 or less tax.  Will have to go with zero no claims, as my other no claims are already on my other cars.  Car will sit there full time and not move, other than to the MOT station and back.

Just looked at a £600 alto.  Insurance on that was £250

I would suggest finding a shiter who's reasonably local who already has a spare car.

Could be a win win. They get their car watched like a hawk all day, and your dear old Mum gets to admire* a Ford Sierra and feel 57 again.

Went over yesterday and - at the moment - she's ok with it.  My brother in law and sister went over on Sunday and basically repeated my story that it was not illegal, it's not causing her any problem and other than buying a shiter ourselves and sticking it there, there's not much she can do.  That seems to have sunk in and she's ignoring it now.  I've now doubt that in a couple of months, we'll be back at the start again........