Jazoli's E46 318Ci thread

Jazoli

Probably the worlds shortest one but hey ho....

Idly browsing eBay this afternoon with the funds from the jag sale in my account, I saw a car I liked, messaged the seller with my number and 2 minutes later I got a call from him, had a brief natter and drove the 12 miles to his house.

His 21 year old son had bought it, then promptly realised that he could not afford to insure it, it had sat on the drive for 3 months getting in the way so the dad advertised it for half what the son paid as he'd made no attempt to move it on, so I got a bargain!

Car was as described, paid the cash electronically, insured it on my phone, job done, home 30 minutes after leaving the house!

xciqEwA.jpg

gOkXmJU.jpg

Not shite, most probably shit but it's a non rusty e46 318i Ci, I have always liked the look of them but have never owned one until now, got home recharged the aircon and that now works, needs an abs sensor and a window regulator, can anyone recommend any (free or knockoff) diagnostic software for it?

I am liking this car already, I gave it a good look over last night, topped up the fluids, drove around a bit with the handbrake on (used to driving an auto!) and the abs lights have now gone off, and the dashboard is error free, happy days, nice to have cruise control again for the run to work, missed it in the jag.

My brother bought a non rusty 52 plate 320i floppy top in the same colour. It’s not actually a bad motor. Think he payed 1350 for it. A few edd brewer style repairs and he’ll flog it on in summer for a small profit once his 2006 325i is fixered.

Top buy that, especially if it was cheep cheep

Bit of an update for this, I know its too new (its only 16 years old this year) and not shite (I don't care to be honest, its an old car that needs fettling) so will probably offend some fucking snowflake but tough shit.

The car had a few issues when I bought it, the drivers window didn't work, the abs/dsc lights were on, there was a noise from the osr that the seller thought was a wheel bearing, it steamed up really easily and it hadn't been serviced in 18 months, so today was the day to tackle some of the jobs, upon removing the door panel it was obvious that the cable had broken so I have ordered a repair kit from eBay and it'll hopefully be here tomorrow, next onto the lack of service, I warmed up the car for 10 minutes then connected my trusty vacuum extractor, fuck crawling around on the floor under the car and spilling oil everywhere, I pumped it up and left it to suck whilst I changed the pollen filter and started the rest.

This explained why the car was steaming up, it was soaking wet and looked like it hadn't been changed for a very long time

bGs0tWH.jpg

Nice easy job that one was....

Next onto the 'wheelbearing' noise, i knew it wasn't the wheelbearing that was failing as the noise went away when I pulled the handbrake on, so wheel off, disc off and something is amiss here

Fz3CX84.jpg

The backplate had rotted around where the sprung dowels are holding the shoe to the plate, allowing the shoe to move and jam in a funny angle, 

oh dear...

nLM0Syj.jpg

The backplate was pretty rusty and I gave it a quick coat of hammerite then I had to use a bolt and nylock nut with a couple of big washers on the back to spread the load to hold the new top shoe in

iS4mT3m.jpg

I hate the fucking springs on these things, and thankfully only smacked myself in the face once with the spring puller, I cleaned up the disc with a wire brush on the grinder, cleaned up and re-greased the caliper and re-assembled everything

3VYppzk.jpg

By now my oil extractor had stopped doing its thing and when I checked it had pulled nearly six litres of oil out of the sump, its only supposed to have four and a half in it! it was also like black water, why people never change the oil is beyond me :(

To be continued, I have just wire brushed all the loose rust off everywhere and slapped a coat of vactan on, and I'm writing this whilst it dries...

Edit, rain stopped play, I have a carport but it was horizontal this afternoon, to be continued Sunday.

Good buy provided the door seals are in good nick. Mine was like having a hair dryer in my ear on the motorway. Seals £300 a side and they are on long term backorder from Germany. Eventually got rid because of that.

Handbrake is shit but TADTS. You learn to only park on hills facing forwards.

If it's still on runflats bin them.

Door seals are fine thankfully and it's pretty quiet at speed, I am awaiting a delivery of a window motor, abs sensor and trim clips, plus seals for the vacuum pump, I'm also going to de-rust the underneath and give it a coating of schutz or similar, Sunday's job was stripping out the knackered window reg and replacing the cables, only to find that the cable had got caught up in the motor gears and knackered the splines.

f87c9cadf6b0cde61bdd3c3dfdd80c4c.jpg

I don't think these ever came with runflats, but it's not a worry as it has a brand new set of ditchfinders fitted.

• 2 weeks later...