A Sunday Really-Quite-Likely Collection Thread

rantingYoof

Following the successful roffling of SnrYoof's Omega, a replacement workhorse has become a priority.

Criteria of replacement...

• Large estate
  • Automatic
  • Petrol
  • Engine larger than 2.4 litres 
  • Budget up to £3k

While another bangernomic shed like the Omega was not entirely out of the question, SnrYoof reasonably wanted something that he could take a little pride in and actually enjoy driving about a bit more than he could the Omega. Not only should this car be a workhorse, but essentially the car he uses for shorter local trips that wouldn't warm his XF up that well.

It was late last week that I located a thing which I sent to him for perusal, and it turns out it's ticked all the boxes. A pleasant and reassuringly cliche-free conversation with the seller has occurred and it looks like today we shall be setting off for that there SARF LONDON to have a gander and, unless there are significant discrepancies between what's been said and what reality is, collect the motor.

No clues, other than it's at the top end of the budget, COLOSSAL and has a reassuring (but not quite the unquestionably correct) number of cylinders. 

Hence, I am up early, and as this is possibly an actual collection thread, the next post will contain a picture of my breakfast for peer review.

Wow! More details please.

Okay, so this is a 2003 Mercedes E320 estate in a blue-grey. It's done 140,000, and has good service history complemented by a wad of papers.

Engine-wise, it's a 3.2 V6 with 225hp or thereabouts, mated to a five speed automatic. I think the 3.2 unit was quite old by the time it was put into this car, and I'd also be surprised if the car weighed less than 2000kg. Therefore, its performance can be described as being more-than adequate, and it's fair to say the gearbox is tuned more for lazy power and torque delivery than rapid downshifts and kick-back acceleration. It makes a bloody nice noise which appears at around 3500rpm, a bit like the LS400.

It was originally a Mercedes demonstrator car, and as such it was given a large number of optional extras such as a soft-close boot lid, folding wing mirrors, heated rear seats, colour sat-nav, front and rear parking sensors. When it was six months old it was bought by a doctor, who proceeded to lavish care and attention on it and essentially got absolutely anything done that needed doing. It has the original bill of sale to the doctor, and also comes with original first-aid kits and luggage fasteners for the boot etc. 

It had a gearbox service (£180) two years (and less than 10k) ago. In the last two years, in fact, it's had the best part of £2k spent on mechanical consumables that one would entirely expect after 140k. 

The bodywork is absolutely immaculate, with virtually no dings or scrapes on any panel whatsoever. The interior is absolutely spotless. All the electrical gubbins works, including the heated rear seats (which are wonderfully vicious).

Did I mention it's big? Sitting in the rear passenger seats and noting how much car there is both in front and behind you makes you realise why they were able to make it a seven seater...it's gargantuan.

On the way there I was worrying that it was a little over priced at the top end of our budget. It was, after all, a 16 year old car. However, there are not many 16 year old cars being sold in this sort of condition and with the kind of service history this has, and I think, on balance, it was worth the money over a ropier lower spec version in resale silver.

The dealer was a thoroughly nice chap who was laid back and honest and used not one single cliche or phrase that sets alarm bells ringing or eyes rolling. In fact, the only gripe was the signing of the receipt, where he had to remind us that 'obviously there's no warranty given or implied on an old car like this'. I'm certainly not someone who would advocate using the sales of goods act an all that malarky if it turns out the windscreen washer jets do not work (they don't), but I'm afraid when someone is shelling out three bags for a car being advertised with no faults and as being 'ready to be enjoyed by the next owner' you cannot wiggle out of your potential obligations if the gearbox sharts itself two days later.

Anyway, the the car drives like a dream and feels like it's done 40k; the suspension, steering and brakes are all absolutely perfect, so I won't be losing any sleep over warranty comments. :-D

Importantly, my dad is very happy and I imagine is looking forward to working out what all the unfamiliar (to both of us) buttons do.