Kiltox

Beating the Tip Nazis - Mobile Skip Required

Say you have a considerable amount of household rubbish to shift and need a suitable vehicle for doing so

Consider also that if your perfectly capacious MWB van was used, you’d end up on some kind of shit list with the council very quickly because the Tip Nazis are very hot on that kind of thing

What do you buy that qualifies as “AN CAR” but can shift a small nation?

I’d imagine a Volvo 940 is getting quite “OMG CLASSIC” for this purpose

Load space is the name of the game. Enough test and capable of forward motion for long enough to complete the task.

I did exactly this with a Volvo 850 a few years back when I was renovating a house. Must have been to the tip 20 times in it and never got questioned. It cost £156, was wholly and utterly abused by me for 6 months and my stepdad has it now, still going!

Picasso. Find one with crumbly sills and 6 weeks MOT for just above scrap money and take all the seats out (they unclip). I got a sofa to the tip in one, no bother.

Actually, that's a great shout!

Do Kia Sedonas sometimes fall into just above scrap territory anymore?

I'd imagine the carrying capacity is better than some vans with the seats taken out

.https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903015449153?price-to=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=la97et&model=SEDONA&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=distance&radius=100&make=KIA&page=1

Cheapest I could find within 100 miles but haven't dared to look on Gumtree.

+1 for Berlingo Multispace / Partner Tepee.

You can get a fucked-but-still-running multispace for buttons, especially if pez, and it "looks" like a car (windows all round) so doesn't trigger the tip nazis. With the seats folded back (or removed entirely) it holds as much shit as the van version. Taller than an estate so much easier to load.

Still miss mine.

I'd imagine a Picasso/PT Cruiser/Sedona/Berlingo would be cheaper to insure than a van too.  

(Is insuring a van for private use still as difficult and/or expensive as I have been led to believe?)

BMW 3 series touring. You can fit 21 meters of turf comfortably in it or 22 lengths of 2.4m 3x2 and shut the boot... And change gear... Or a locker unit of 10 lockers, a tea urn, a printer (in it's box) and bags of shit, shutting all doors and driving 70 miles. 

Edit, ooh and full sized floor boarding, close, but it goes! Need a spare sock tho to protect the corners from stabbing the dash.

Wait... Where can such a machine be obtained though???

+Another for Berlingo/Partner. My previous "ideal" vehicle for this was my Felicia Fun....except it wasn't...even with the Truckman top on it was refused entry for being a "commercial vehicle". I paid only £750 for my well-used Partner as it was too good to miss. It has the load capacity of a small shed (OK, it IS a small shed!) and qualifies as a private car. I bought it for practical purposes without expecting to like it. It's actually quite amusing to drive.

There still seem to be plenty of cheap/battered 940's doing the rounds TBF...

Otherwise perhaps Mk1 Octavia Estate? Lots about, fairly reliable, Mk4 Golf platform so plentiful parts and huge space available with the back seats down.