Beating the Tip Nazis - Mobile Skip Required

Kiltox

In reverse and when 2cvs were proper shite and choice of only those with insider knowledge, brass neck or with a love of boxer twins, my gf was asked when checking out of Ikea what day she'd like the goods delivered. She was pretty sure of herself and insisted her car would swallow both the double bed and the rest. "Fella in a Volvo estate couldn't fit that bed in last week luv" she was told.

Politely they were informed she didn't have a Volvo estate, but a 2cv. Apparently great laughter rung around, before she told them in no uncertain terms (old fashioned slightly posh) to send two men out to help her load the car up. Which they did, and £50 was saved. Wish I'd taken a photo of her returning, but this was before everything was turned into a pic.

I use a mk1 Zafira for this job. Buttons to buy, bits are worthless too. I paid £100 4 years ago for mine, keeps passing MoT so keeps trucking. It’s a DTI model, well past 230k now as well. Basically a van with clever seats, used as a spare car and often loaned out. Can’t imagine not having something for the role, it’s somehow different to having an estate as a daily, you can use it as an actual skip or shed and not worry. I’d post a pic of it, but in 4 years I’ve never bothered to take one.

Trailers are treated like vans at my tip!

Starting to think we might do one run in the van with the biggest stuff and just polythene up the X5 as suggested.

I do like the idea of buying an actual skip on wheels though and God only knows I’m stupid enough to

I suppose you could trawl Gumtree etc for peole carriers almost out of mot for £200 and then strip a few minor bits of note and fill the carcass on the drive and then cartakeback/get it towed for weigh in to break even.

One a week must surely come up?

I just use my plain white T4 transporter for general waste to the tip. I’m a sparky and usually go in work apparel if they say anything I ask if the rubbish is electrical which it isn’t and they let me tip. Took about 1/4 tonne of ferrous metal last week as I couldn’t be bothered with the faff at EMR or the risk of a puncture. I do have a carriers liecence too.

I just use my plain white T4 transporter for general waste to the tip. I’m a sparky and usually go in work apparel if they say anything I ask if the rubbish is electrical which it isn’t and they let me tip. Took about 1/4 tonne of ferrous metal last week as I couldn’t be bothered with the faff at EMR or the risk of a puncture. I do have a carriers liecence too.

You’d definitely be turned away from my local tip - no vans unless booked in advance and they interrogate you about the contents when you do turn up with it booked.

on a more sensible note , our last car , the micra was bought by the garage that sold us a newer car ...

it had some parts taken off it , got stripped back to a rolling skip ..

and was filled with all the junk from the garage ......  

rolled onto a trailer and was never seen again

on the 240 I had , I did make up a metal skip that went inside the back of the car ......now that was handy !

I'd imagine a Picasso/PT Cruiser/Sedona/Berlingo would be cheaper to insure than a van too.  

(Is insuring a van for private use still as difficult and/or expensive as I have been led to believe?)

I have van insurance, not business, and it's £300 ish a year. I went from car to van 

insurance and didn't notice any difference. You can take Ncd from a car to a van 

but not the other way round. Why, I have no idea.

My Local tip, has a,n,p,r type readers so if you visit to much in one week with say a whole bag of rubble you get charged for it, £5 I believe, for me now I use a local rubbish clearance company, £60-£100 a load, for me it works out cheaper if I need it all just gone, and I've only moved it once,

And I'm darn sarf in Surrey "don't you know"

And for this my council tax went up £8 a month !

My Local tip, has a,n,p,r type readers so if you visit to much in one week with say a whole bag of rubble you get charged for it, £5 I believe, for me now I use a local rubbish clearance company, £60-£100 a load, for me it works out cheaper if I need it all just gone, and I've only moved it once,

And I'm darn sarf in Surrey "don't you know"

And for this my council tax went up £8 a month !

That is ridiculous.

In my part of Surrey it's the same, however they've also stated that large vehicles with seats removed count as vans. What's confusing is the van rule came in before the charge for rubble and diy waste. If there's a charge, just let the vans in? It'll be more expensive than the industrial site.

Our tip has now removed the rubble and plasterboard skips and charge you for it, and I'm deffo not in Surrey.

I've got some plasterboard to get rid of so I'll just be breaking it into small pieces and putting it in my normal bin rather than paying £3 per bag. 

The lads at the tip agree that's it's ridiculous, apparently they pointed out to "management" that the likely impact would be loads more flytipping, and were told that the council have a budget for flytipping but need to make cuts on the tip budget. 

Madness.

Our tip has now removed the rubble and plasterboard skips and charge you for it, and I'm deffo not in Surrey.

I've got some plasterboard to get rid of so I'll just be breaking it into small pieces and putting it in my normal bin rather than paying £3 per bag.

The lads at the tip agree that's it's ridiculous, apparently they pointed out to "management" that the likely impact would be loads more flytipping, and were told that the council have a budget for flytipping but need to make cuts on the tip budget.

Madness.

Same as here. We have three main recycling centres in MK, only one of which takes commercial waste. MK has a major fly tipping problem. October I think it was, they decided without any prior warning to stick 1.8m height barriers at two of the sites - anything over 1.8m instead needs to go to the (already always mobbed) Newport Pagnell site and go through the commercial lane - via the weighbridge which I'm sure helps speed things along!

Great move guys...great move.

Oh, and yes. We *have* noticed an increase in fly tipping since this was brought in.

I'll give Bristol a shout out here then - pretty much their only rule is 'no vans on weekends'. There's also a sign up saying no more than 10 bags of rubble per person per week, but I've only ever seen them turn away a Passat that was on the bumpstops, my record is 7 trips in a day, keeping it below the window line each time.

Beko1987 is scrapping his 406 estate. Nowt wrong I think apart from some ball joints that need changing. Maybe a buyage and chuck it in the garage for cheeps repairs coild be on the cards? Means saving a good estate car, plus being an estate means useful for tip runs. 406 estates seem to have vast loading areas.

post-5612-0-99407800-1541009401.jpg

http://autoshite.com/topic/33456-peugeot-406-a-crossroads-of-dilemma-keep-it-or-bin-it/page-8?do=findComment&comment=1761687