2007 Volvo V70 D5 2.4 automatic - SOLD - New Owner Updates

Peter C

Haven't had any time to look at it this weekend, it's penciled in for next weekend. The issue of bad fuel still needs to be checked, I'm going to try running it on neat diesel purge to see if that makes any difference. Opinions differ as to whether it'll run with a gravity feed straight into the HP pump or not.

I think the plan is to try the diesel purge then get the car up on the lift to check for boost leaks and also to loosen the downpipe from the turbo to rule out an exhaust restriction. Timing was also suggested, so I might try seeing if I can get locking pins in.

Not much of an update on this sadly, I didn't have as much time as I wanted on this due to the workshop being full of assorted other chod:

post-26786-0-67649800-1554028330_thumb.jpeg

All I really managed to do on the Volvo was attempt a diesel purge, only to find that it wouldn't run without pressure from the lift pump. I ran a load of diesel purge through the HP pump and filled the fuel filter housing with the stuff, then started it - no difference. I think this can probably rule out bad fuel, as it would've been running on neat diesel purge straight after start up. I had it up on the ramp to check for any sign of boost leaks and couldn't see anything wrong. I also took the timing belt cover off and couldn't see anything obviously amiss there. Finally, I was going to take the downpipe off the turbo but the small bolts holding it were not keen on shifting and also fairly inaccessible, so I soaked the one that I could get to, binned it off because I didn't want to snap the bolts and went to the pub.

In other news, my pisshat ticked over 100,000 miles today - only needed an engine, turbo and DMF to get there.

post-26786-0-05024500-1554029164_thumb.jpg

Some tinkering took place today - no results just yet annoyingly. I tested the fuel pressure to the HP pump from the in-tank pump which was fine (4 - 4.5 bar) and didn't drop off as the engine speed increased. I also rigged up an injector leak-off test which didn't show any problems - all injectors around 10ml after 1 minute:

post-26786-0-58388300-1554570753_thumb.jpg

post-26786-0-35533100-1554570767_thumb.jpg

Fault codes are still MAF high and boost pressure low. At the moment I'm wondering if there might be some kind of fault with the valvetrain - there's a ticking noise coming from the top end somewhere, I don't think it's an injector because all of the tests I've done on them so far have been OK. The next step is going to be a compression test, I picked up a socket on the way back from the unit that should hopefully work for the glow plugs.

Am I barking for thinking that if there was a sticky lifter/valve/damaged rocker, that could be causing these issues? I feel like the engine would still rev, but be very noisy. I would've whipped the rocker cover off for a look but the injectors have to come out first, so I'll wait and see if the compression test reveals anything.

This will not be a valve/rocker issue,nor will it be low compression and removing the rocker cover is quite involved and needs £££ of gaskets to replace,i would be looking at air flow restrictions on the inlet and exhaust sides of the engine before spending money on it,egr valve can stick open,dpf/ cat could be in trouble,inlet pipework can block up and the inter cooler is prone to splitting causing running problems,I really hope you can fix this car without too much aggro,I take an interest cos I am a v70 owner scince last year and it has been the most troublesome car I've ever owned by a mile.

I too wish you the best of luck in resolving this.

I can't offer any useful advice, but I can sympathize with the woes of broken Volvo life (My 940 is currently sat outside with it's carpets soaked in antifreeze)

I'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end!

Does the turbo spin if moved by hand?

Is the MAF code still immediately there after clearing? If not, does it reappear quickly once the engine is started?

If turbo spins by hand and does does freely, I reckon as solid61 said it's likely an airflow issue on either intake or exhaust side.

I can see you have changed the fuel filter.

I assume the filter was the correct unit. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archive/index.php/t-115368.html

I read the original poster said the problem happened shortly after refilling with fuel. I think misfuel has been rules out, although I've known as instance where the wrong fuel was put in the underground tank, that is rare, but it has happened. So just cos it said DERV on the receipt is irrelevant in such an instance.

The next possible problem is that there was a lot of shite in the fuel that clogged the filter within a few miles, and has then clogged the new filter very quickly.

Although you've been getting fuel samples from your leak off test, one assumes these look OK. Having said that, if the fuel filter is taking out the crud, the fuel sample with be clean and the filter becoming more clogged by minute.

It could be a coincidence that the problem occurred soon after fuelling, but effect also follows cause

I can see you have changed the fuel filter.

I assume the filter was the correct unit. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archive/index.php/t-115368.html

Yes - Bosch filter installed which went on fine.

This will not be a valve/rocker issue,nor will it be low compression and removing the rocker cover is quite involved and needs £££ of gaskets to replace,i would be looking at air flow restrictions on the inlet and exhaust sides of the engine before spending money on it,egr valve can stick open,dpf/ cat could be in trouble,inlet pipework can block up and the inter cooler is prone to splitting causing running problems,I really hope you can fix this car without too much aggro,I take an interest cos I am a v70 owner scince last year and it has been the most troublesome car I've ever owned by a mile.

I think you could be right, but so far I've ruled out pretty much everything on the inlet side apart from the manifold itself by disconnecting the pipework and letting the engine breathe atmospheric air straight into the manifold, if that makes sense? Intercooler looks fine, I took the panel off underneath it and couldn't see any splits/bulges/oil. It's probably worth making more of an effort to get the downpipe off the turbo before taking the rocker cover off, that and taking the air pipework off the turbo to rule out a restriction there. Sorry to hear that about your V70, it's annoying because I reckon it'd be quite nice if it worked!

Does the turbo spin if moved by hand?

Is the MAF code still immediately there after clearing? If not, does it reappear quickly once the engine is started?

If turbo spins by hand and does does freely, I reckon as solid61 said it's likely an airflow issue on either intake or exhaust side.

Haven't checked the turbo yet, I'll have a look next time I'm up there.

The MAF code doesn't come back until the engine has been running for a while, can't remember exactly how long but certainly not straight away. Would I be right in thinking that the reading from the MAF is likely correct but the ECU doesn't like what it's seeing?

I think you and solid61 are on the money, will have to do more checks on airflow next time I'm at the unit.

Have you tried cleaning the maf? Or just replace it they’re sub 20 quid by the looks of it.

The diagnostics is useful but if you’re getting a maf code , it looks like it’s air flow related and the part is jus 20 quid it’s worth just changing it. If it doesn’t work it’s one more thing ruled out.

Where are you? Try my MAF if you want as long as it isn’t killed....my xc90 is running well!

Would this still be a possibility maybe next weekend? Could save me picking up a MAF. The part number on my MAF is 0281002730, which I think is different to Euro 3 (up to 05-ish) D5 engines - if this matches your XC90 I'd be very grateful for a loan!

Would this still be a possibility maybe next weekend? Could save me picking up a MAF. The part number on my MAF is 0281002730, which I think is different to Euro 3 (up to 05-ish) D5 engines - if this matches your XC90 I'd be very grateful for a loan!

Missed this can you pm me maybe you could do me a favour and turn my airbag light off that randomly came on the other day in it...

Thanks,

James

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress, proving a tough one to crack or has time been spent on getting the BBQ running ?

Sadly no progress to report since the last update, the temptation of beer in the sun has been too strong to resist so the moody Swede will have to wait. Hoping to have some time on it this week, have also got top mounts to do on another V70 - broken Volvos for everyone!

Latest thrilling* update: I stopped being a flannel and took the downpipe off the turbo - thankfully no snapped bolts. With the downpipe moved to the side, the engine still ran like a bag of shite, ruling out a blocked exhaust. What I did notice was smoke, which smelt like unburned diesel. This would possibly support njgleeds' suggestion of valvetrain issues and at this stage I think it's the next thing that needs to be looked at.

The only thing I think I still need to check is the turbot, but if that's spinning freely it's looking like injectors out and off with the inlet manifold/valve cover. I would've started today but I'd like to keep it running so I don't have to push it around to get the other V70 on the lift!

Unfortunately James' MAF was the wrong part, if I can pick up a cheap s/h one before I get the chance to get the valve cover off I might give it a go but I don't think that's what's causing the problems.

I reckon if there were valvetrain issues like njgleeds describes you would be able to hear the camshaft lobes beating a tattoo on the lifters, and were you to listen along the length of the valve cover using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope you would be able to identify which cylinder had the problem. 

Before getting into extensive dismantling, I would whip the glowplugs out to see if any of them look different to the others.  Mine had a brownish deposit on them like the nose of a spark plug would. I reckon a cylinder that really wasn't running right might have a wet or sooty looking glowplug.  If you were to buy one of the really slender USB borescopes off Ebay (like wot I did), you could inspect the tops of your pistons whilst the glowplugs were out by slipping it down the hole (I think I put mine in the injector holes, so you might need to measure first).  As far as I could see, my pistons appeared to have melted to the extent that they'd lost the nice clearly defined cavity in the crown and I suspect the was the result of excessive DPF regeneration.

What are you using to pull the fault codes ?

I have Vida Diagnostic (if you're not too far away) could plug it in, and see what comes up

It will also allow you to see live data.

Doing a compression test isn't a bad idea, shows you brief insight as to how worn the engine is.

I can't recall the exact symptoms, whenit was up for sale, but rather gutted I missed out on it.

Do keep us updated

I reckon if there were valvetrain issues like njgleeds describes you would be able to hear the camshaft lobes beating a tattoo on the lifters, and were you to listen along the length of the valve cover using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope you would be able to identify which cylinder had the problem. 

Before getting into extensive dismantling, I would whip the glowplugs out to see if any of them look different to the others.  Mine had a brownish deposit on them like the nose of a spark plug would. I reckon a cylinder that really wasn't running right might have a wet or sooty looking glowplug.  If you were to buy one of the really slender USB borescopes off Ebay (like wot I did), you could inspect the tops of your pistons whilst the glowplugs were out by slipping it down the hole (I think I put mine in the injector holes, so you might need to measure first).  As far as I could see, my pistons appeared to have melted to the extent that they'd lost the nice clearly defined cavity in the crown and I suspect the was the result of excessive DPF regeneration.

There's definitely tapping coming from the top end somewhere, it's coming from the timing belt end of the engine. I've ordered a slim borescope, thanks for the tip. 5.5mm seems to be the smallest size available - not sure if it'll fit down the glowplug holes but I can always stick it down the injector holes if needed.

Gaaahhhhhh. How close are you to the north west? Desperate to help sort this out.

Not very close at all sadly, the car's near Reading. Thanks for the offer though, it's much appreciated.

What are you using to pull the fault codes ?

I have Vida Diagnostic (if you're not too far away) could plug it in, and see what comes up

It will also allow you to see live data.

Doing a compression test isn't a bad idea, shows you brief insight as to how worn the engine is.

I can't recall the exact symptoms, whenit was up for sale, but rather gutted I missed out on it.

Do keep us updated

I've got Vida, the codes aren't massively helpful to be honest, but then if there was a valvetrain or compression issue it wouldn't necessarily give a code for that. I have had a look at some live data (pictures earlier in the thread) but didn't see anything of concern, at least not to my idiot eyes. I may still give a compression test a shot, hopefully will have more time on it this weekend.

• 3 months later...

Finally I've had some time to play with this. Having tried a variety of other things, I figured it was about time to pull my finger (and the injectors) out. 3 out of 5 have come out without too much of a fight, 2 are stuck in. I have an injector puller/slide hammer thinghy on the way. While I was trying to pop the injectors out by turning the engine over, I noticed the sound of one of the cylinders was different to the other 2 with the injectors removed -  rubbish video attached for your enjoyment. Listening to it, I'm thinking that could well be some kind of valve trouble, so am looking forward to getting the last 2 injectors out and hopefully finding out WTF is going on.

3 hours ago, NorthernMonkey said:

My money is still on head casting/follower or rocker damage. Had another 185bhp in the other day with exactly the same issue.

I've got a nasty feeling you're right. On that last one, how did you get the injectors out? Did it end up getting bridged or did you fix it?

I've left injectors soaking in oven cleaner when trying to get out. Spray the crap out of them and let it soak in and around but I guess that is more when you have a case of black death. Patience is a thing of beauty when it comes to this.....something I lack!

Hope you are well besides! I sold my XC90 in the end to a mechanic who was going to repair the alternator and give to his wife.

James

On 7/26/2019 at 5:33 PM, NorthernMonkey said:

My money is still on head casting/follower or rocker damage. Had another 185bhp in the other day with exactly the same issue.

Bang on the money!

Now to find a replacement head, someone to repair this one (apparently possible?) or just a secondhand engine. I'm amazed it didn't sound worse looking at the state of things in there!

IMG_20190731_174422.jpg

IMG_20190731_174432.jpg

IMG_20190731_174441.jpg

IMG_20190731_174513.jpg

IMG_20190731_174528.jpg

IMG_20190731_174543.jpg