2007 Volvo V70 D5 2.4 automatic - SOLD - New Owner Updates

Peter C

My brother in law’s Volvo, I’ve written a few stories about this car on this forum. Car was running 100% until a couple of days ago, when he took it out in the morning and a mile from the house the engine stopped reving past 1,500 rev/min. We’ve done all the obvious checks, there’s a full tank of diesel (£100) but despite starting ok the engine doesn’t want to rev. There’s no smoke from the exhaust and no knocks from the engine. All a bit of a mystery. Brother in law has bought a BMW 325d so the Volvo needs to go

166k miles

MoT 26 October 2019

4 previous owners

Full service history

Cam belt done two years ago at 140k with receipt to prove

Bodywork very good for a 12 year old car but has the odd little mark here and there.

17 inch alloys with excellent tyres.

Has removable tow bar.

Interior is mint, full leather, all electrics work, ice cold air con, amazing sound system.

Pre engine problem the engine and gearbox were in perfect working condition, suspension was quiet, recently had two springs replaced with original Volvo parts.

Car is located 5 mins from M40 J3.

Asking £950 as it stands. If it was running properly it would be a £2k car. Ideally needs towing away but still drives, albeit slowly.

post-4019-0-24564900-1551549226_thumb.jpeg

post-4019-0-38387700-1551549275_thumb.jpeg

post-4019-0-20231500-1551549318_thumb.jpeg

post-4019-0-51764400-1551549409_thumb.jpeg

post-4019-0-07427900-1551549453_thumb.jpeg

post-4019-0-85410100-1551549504_thumb.jpeg

post-4019-0-97019400-1551549578_thumb.jpeg

And now he’s got this:

post-4019-0-70499100-1551549774_thumb.jpeg

I had one almost identical to that - it was a really nice, comfy car.

Plugging it into VIDA DICE would probably reveal what the problem is, and clearing the faults would (at least temporarily) get it out of limp mode.   You need the patience of a saint to install VIDA and get it working, though.

Does it have any history of using oil?

That is a good thing.

Could be something like the adjustable vanes in the turbo have got stuck - that'll put one of these into limp mode, but a good squoosh with oven cleaner frees them up.  

The little plastic lever things that work the swirl flaps are prone to breaking, which iirc has a similar effect.

Phwoar that looks bloody nice. That's my favourite grey in any car colour spectrum!

Also, going by Autotrader £2k is a conservative estimate for a fully working super-late Mk2 V70 diesel, even a leggy one. £950 is likely to end up being an absolute bargwin for someone.

GLWS. :-)

That is a good thing.

Could be something like the adjustable vanes in the turbo have got stuck - that'll put one of these into limp mode, but a good squoosh with oven cleaner frees them up.  

The little plastic lever things that work the swirl flaps are prone to breaking, which iirc has a similar effect.

My  2006 one of these hasn't had that swirl arm thing connected for at least 6 years. It's made no difference whatsoever. Turbo will be a good shout maybe. Mine has been faultless in 10 years although relatively low miles at 124k. Powerful as and returns 50mpg no bother at all. I even get 35mpg dragging a caravan!

Just to explain, this is not my car and the owner works 7 days a week and does not have the time or facilities to investigate or fix the fault. The car is on his drive and would like a new owner who is up for a challenge. 

'Scuse me for being thick, but do these have the electronic throttle module?

I think they changed to fly by wire in about 98-99, I have been looking for cruise control switches for my old school throttle on my 97 and every later one I have seen has the fly by wire arrangement.

Probably not a good idea.

Why not out of interest? They screw people left right and centre, it’s part of the game to them. They will just chuck it to auction anyway. They might lose on it but that’s the business they are in, and they probably won’t lose anyway as I bet they pretty much offer the auction price on older cars.

Because we stand to gain too little and risk unnecessary grief.

No grief, they pay for it as is, there is no comeback. My guess is that they will at least test drive it around the car park though, but I have never used them personally (just heard the horror stories of £3’k offers turning into £600as they nit pick every stonechip) hence my question above. Or put it to the auctions, there are always cars with lights of doom going through, that or face the joys of a sub 1k car on buntree. Good luck which ever way you go with it, it needs to be saved and it’s probably a cheap and easy fix for the right person.

No grief, they pay for it as is, there is no comeback. My guess is that they will at least test drive it around the car park though, but I have never used them personally (just heard the horror stories of £3’k offers turning into £600as they nit pick every stonechip) hence my question above. Or put it to the auctions, there are always cars with lights of doom going through, that or face the joys of a sub 1k car on buntree. Good luck which ever way you go with it, it needs to be saved and it’s probably a cheap and easy fix for the right person.

WBAC certainly nitpick every stonechip and scuff - sold them a High n Die i20 last year. They don't, however, do any kind of test drive. I think he started the engine and moved it to the adjacent parking space (but maybe not even that - selling a Hyundai ain't a memorable experience, if you know what I mean) but definitely no test drive, not even around the car park. I wasn't asked for any statements or guarantees about the mechanical condition of the car, either.

It struck me they exist exactly for this type of car - if it were A1 you'd private sale it. The price chipping for paint scuffs is so silly I felt no sympathy for them, anyway.