Blast from the Past: Master TD35 goes green - 24/8 Now with added conversion photos!

strangeangel

What paint did you use?

Just common-or-garden coach enamel, thinned down and sprayed using a cheapo Apollo HVLP gun. The latter made a right mess - my jeans and trainers etc were green. It was cheap - there's no way you'd pay to get an old van like that done at commercial rates - but the stuff gets everywhere, and wearing a respirator was a must. Still, for £250 all in I was well pleased and it made it a lot easier for us to get into Caravan Club sites etc. It was the first thing bigger than a moped I'd ever painted and I thought it looked ace.

I'm most impressed with your spay booth. 

Owned a Master converted horse box a few years ago, fitted with an Iveco 2.5 NA.  Very slow but always reliable and quite pleasant to drive.

Painted this outside on a sunny day back in 2002, used army cammo applied with a roller and half inch brush. Looked very presentable when finished. 

Recent picture.

post-17297-0-06612200-1551298911_thumb.jpg

Just common-or-garden coach enamel, thinned down and sprayed using a cheapo Apollo HVLP gun. The latter made a right mess - my jeans and trainers etc were green. It was cheap - there's no way you'd pay to get an old van like that done at commercial rates - but it makes a right mess, and wearing a respirator was a must. Still, for £250 all in I was well pleased and it made it a lot easier for us to get into Caravan Club sites etc. It was the first thing bigger than a moped I'd ever painted and I thought it looked ace.

Ahem, this cannot be correct, what about that renner 5 in (gunmetal?) grey? Also my Dodge 50 :)

Nice old thing. You carpentry skills look good. What happend to it in the end? I have one and in the end they are of course very prone to rust in their clever but quite lightweight construction. Rear spring hangers particularly vulnerable. Mine has had so MUCH welding to keep it alive...I think you posted on my holiday thread...here is me picking up some secondhand timber in France. Presume it started life as a bus - they seem to survive a bit better because I suppose lighter use.

20190814_103718.jpg

38 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Nice old thing. You carpentry skills look good. What happend to it in the end? I have one and in the end they are of course very prone to rust in their clever but quite lightweight construction. Rear spring hangers particularly vulnerable. Mine has had so MUCH welding to keep it alive...I think you posted on my holiday thread...here is me picking up some secondhand timber in France. Presume it started life as a bus - they seem to survive a bit better because I suppose lighter use.

Cheers, it was the first (and only) conversion I've ever done, and I'd never really done anything like that before. The style is unashamedly cribbed from @djimbob's old Dodge 50, which had the nicest self-built interior I've ever seen (will try and find a picture). Props to the good people of the SBMCC forum, they were a never-ending supply of answers to all sorts of questions... electrics, split charging circuits and the like - couldn't have done it without them. And when it was finished we had five or six years of long summer holidays in it down in Cornwall and Devon. You're right about it having been a bus - it was actually an NHS patient minibus in it's first life. The first MOT it had with me I took it to  Seacroft Hospital, as was recommended because they had a ramp big enough. The mechanics there recognised it, and printed me off a massive list of all the repairs it had had done while in service as an ambulance!

It wouldn't fit up the driveway of the Leeds semi we lived in at the time, so I had to keep it at a marina of the other side of the city, which was a bit of a faff, as was going down there in the freezing cold with battery-powered tools to do the inevitable MOT repairs each year. Eventually I got bored of this and sold it for what the van and the conversion (minus my time!) had cost me, so I was happy enough with that. It lived on for a while after that, ending up in the hands of another 'shiter (Volksy) and then I don't know... it appears to have shuffled off this mortal coil in 2016, having made its 27th birthday. Not a bad innings, really.

master.thumb.png.d7e033e9dade6cfb27b5a2ad8352cf85.png

And here it is with the Dodge, after we'd attacked the latter with brush and roller.

DSCF0012.thumb.JPG.74be03efb890f30f2dfc60a36b3ecc7d.JPG

Such fond memories, yet you can't get totally mired in nostalgia, can you? The trick is to keep at it, have adventures... it doesn't have to cost a fortune and, while we can't avoid getting older, there's nothing that says we have to grow up.

Party On, Shiters.

3 hours ago, strangeangel said:

And here it is with the Dodge, after we'd attacked the latter with brush and roller.

DSCF0012.thumb.JPG.74be03efb890f30f2dfc60a36b3ecc7d.JPG

Such fond memories, yet you can't get totally mired in nostalgia, can you? The trick is to keep at it, have adventures... it doesn't have to cost a fortune and, while we can't avoid getting older, there's nothing that says we have to grow up.

Party On, Shiters.

Well put...yes keep on keeping on having fun.