Land Rover 90 County Station Wagon

anonymous user

Doubt there will be much interest in this on here, but.

1984 Land Rover 90 County Station Wagon (it is a CSW on the log book)

It was originally petrol now fitted with a 200tdi.

It had a Richards galvanised chassis fitted about 4 years ago (receipt for chassis change is about £4k)

I have just had a reconditioned main gearbox fitted as fifth gear had failed (still an LT77 box)

I had power assisted steering fitted (new steering box, 2nd hand pump)

Just had a replacement fuel pump and turbo fitted.

It is having a new MOT (it went in earlier this week and failed on lights, horn, probably dirty fuses or connection, as they were working before and axle oil seals) These are being sorted out.

It has a County interior with cloth seats (6 seater as it has a centre cubby box) seats aren't too bad but the fronts need a good clean, it does have a full headlining. No carpets and unfortunately a chequer plate floor in the rear.

The thing that let's it down is the bulkhead, it's starting to go and is not going to get better on its own, not desperate yet, but will either need repair or replacement in the next few years. The doors have a bit of aluminium corrosion at the bottom, but the frames still look ok.

I will get some up to date photos in the next couple of days, as it's currently at the garage.

The photo below is when I bought it, I removed and sold the winch bumper as I would never use it, now has a standard bumper fitted, I hated the wheels so had them swapped for standard steels. It still has chequer plate on the wing tops and the dreadful side steps, but I have removed it from the sills.

post-3477-0-56353100-1551285314_thumb.jpg

post-3477-0-70472300-1551285361_thumb.jpg

I paid £6k for it, easily spent a couple of thousand on it since, but would like to get somewhere near six for it to limit my losses.

In a couple of the spares groups, I did try selling the truck cab one through Facebook, by the end I'd nearly lost the will to live. Loads of daft offers and people who told me what they thought was wrong with it, without seeing it. (It had a new MOT, new tyres and loads of new parts) Eventually sold it for £3k and really wish I hadn't. This one I just can't get on with and I now resent its constant demands for me to spend money on it.

Whereabouts are you? A friend says he wants one - I'm not convinced it's a brilliant idea given he took his Passat to the garage last week to get the wing mirror taped back on (no, really) and ended up with a £600 bill (yes, I know) but I gave up trying to talk sense into people a while ago...

A minor update, firstly I'm not ready for another Land Rover at the moment, I need the costly pain of this one to subside first.

It has now got a new MOT and I have taken the registration off online so as soon as the new V5 comes back it has to go, well as soon as I've cleaned it out and taken my mascot off.

It's still at the garage and he has got somebody interested in it (at £5k) If it's a straight cash, no WBAC shenanigans then I will probably take it. I just can't face dealing with people, especially those who look at the asking price and then start knocking money off to cover the costs of everything they want to do to it.

• 2 weeks later...

And as I dreaded, the cash in hand buyer has disappeared, so after another week I popped into the garage for a chat and it doesn't look like there is any serious interest in it. I need to get it home as it was up in the yard unlocked and I think people are confusing it with the ones being broken and starting to take bits off it. (Only lenses, but...)

post-3477-0-69517500-1552780829_thumb.jpeg

It doesn't like too bad, until you start looking at this

post-3477-0-96979400-1552780894_thumb.jpeg

I have stuck it on ebay. I did put it on one of the Facebook Land Rover groups, but have removed it after being told I was asking far too much ("can get a tidier td5 for that sort of money") and then printing off the mot history showing that it fails first time most years, to prove* that it's a bad one.

It's now keeping me awake thinking about what to do.

Right it is on ebay and Facebook Marketplace. It's now home and cost more money as I knocked the driver's mirror arm off and had to replace the window regulator (they're rubbish I only replaced it last June). Also replaced the seal on the driver's side bulkhead vent as the old one was covered in bath sealant (not by me)

post-3477-0-30939200-1553375849_thumb.jpg

It is still running like a pig until warmed up and smokes, on start up, like a laboratory beagle. I have now stuck it up for £5250 in the hope that it will go.

post-3477-0-82276700-1553376158_thumb.jpg

I've already had the "what's the lowest"from a few, plus the "you take 3 cos it needs a bulkhead".

It seems that yet again everyone can sell a Land Rover except me.

This is all grimly familiar.

I sold my Defender 90 last year.  It also had a galvanised chassis, good tub and doors etc.  It was a factory Tdi, too.  The problem was, the bulkhead was poor- worse than yours.  Footwells were perfect, but it was holed around the vents.

I struggled to sell it.  In the end, a guy from Ireland bought it for £5k, proceeded to drive it all the way home (that must have tested his mettle) and that was that.

Since then, I've decided to stay away from Offenders for good.

Stick to your guns re the value.  It will sell, but it may take some time.

The bulkhead situation has improved over the last year or 2, New galv ones are now available (from shielder chassis iirc) I got my defender just after the supply of cheap td5 bulkheads dried up. although the repairs from 2012 have held up well it's only a matter of time before it needs surgery again. I could pass spanners through the rust hole between the the vent and windscreen when I got it...

If you keep it and fit a new bulkhead, can I have the old one? It's in better nick than mine! :D

The bulkhead situation has improved over the last year or 2, New galv ones are now available (from shielder chassis iirc)

£1600!?!?!? I'd want it to fit itself at that price.

The chassis change on this one was over £4k three years ago. The bulkhead is a bit better than I thought as I have had a potential purchaser* turn up and without asking, try to stab holes in it with a screwdriver. He didn't succeed and didn't buy. Also had someone tell me (from the ebay photos) that the seatbox is rusting through, difficult as it's aluminium, the brown marks are residual glue from when it was carpeted. I did just try cleaning the glue off, but it's hard work and I can't be bothered.

Well it has finally gone, I have taken a big hit on what I wanted for it let alone what it has cost me, but it now makes number three on the vehicles I have been glad to see the back of list. (The complete list is Austin Gypsy which broke every time I tried to drive it, a Volvo 240 GLT estate that just wouldn't run right and this ungrateful Land Rover that just ate money but never got any better.)

I have confirmed that I hate selling cars, I can't deal with people and in future will try not to buy anything that I can't afford to scrap, just to avoid going through this again.