Ape in the fog

groovylee

Just come back from Italy and I can confirm that Apes are still being used for proper work! It is THE LAW to recycle and at least two of the local hotels use pick up versions to run down to the recycling centre with flat cardboard boxes etc in the back of them. The smell of two stroke fumes in the mountain air was special.

You know those Chinese versions of the Daihatsu/Piaggio Hijets, the ones with the BMW grills? Well they're taking over, badged as 'Victorias' often in 4x4 flavour, with Italian built tipping tippers (although Piaggio also make a 4x4 pick up, the Porter, as well).

Victoria

victoria 4x4.jpg

Piaggio

porter 4x4.jpg

A 4x4 Tipper version of one of those things sounds fantastic. I imagine the reality doesn't match though...

I’m up for a trip to Italy to get one. I’ve been to Italy a fair bit and yearn to drive one over the alps back to Blighty. I am aware I am not normal.

I just made a film about racing apes, and there’s a mag feature coming too. A mate has one and I love it. Ape Ape Ape. Yes please.

So. When are we going?

There's a bloke in the next village has one of these and a Bentley Coupe - I understand that he's a brain surgeon.

Physician heal thyself, after all who in their right mind would buy a Bentley coupe? I'm assuming it's a modern footballer spec one, if it's an R type or S type I'll let him off.

I’m up for a trip to Italy to get one. I’ve been to Italy a fair bit and yearn to drive one over the alps back to Blighty. I am aware I am not normal.

I just made a film about racing apes, and there’s a mag feature coming too. A mate has one and I love it. Ape Ape Ape. Yes please.

So. When are we going?

Are you doing anything important in April? 

There is a slight fly in the ointment. ISTR that getting a car out of Italy can be a right shit. When a car is sold the seller keeps the plate and the buyer collects a new one from the local office. To do this you need an Italian address.

Quite a few countries have similar issues we found out about last year.

There is a slight fly in the ointment. ISTR that getting a car out of Italy can be a right shit. When a car is sold the seller keeps the plate and the buyer collects a new one from the local office. To do this you need an Italian address.

Quite a few countries have similar issues we found out about last year.

Ah shit, that’s a pain in the arse. Do you know of any way around it? Do they do export plates? Could you just give any address? 1 colosseum, Rome, for example.

Stick a ducati 748 engine in it then.

Putting a 4 stroke engine into anything that started out with a 2T should be an offence punishable by 20 years hard labour.

Those Apes are fantastic things, thread followed.

Physician heal thyself, after all who in their right mind would buy a Bentley coupe? I'm assuming it's a modern footballer spec one, if it's an R type or S type I'll let him off.

It's a newish Continental GT with a W12. It replaced a 928.

It's rumoured that he experiments on his wife!

There's her, a total fucking fruit-loop and him hammering up the hill to the Co-Op in a cloud of two stroke.

I'll not be letting him anywhere near my head.

I find it so sad to see them pimped up llike this. They should be workhorses, and as mentioned above in Italy they remain so. Back in May I went and I can confirm that they're everywhere. One day I'll own one and religiously use it for tip runs only.

attachicon.gifDSC_0527.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_0550.JPG

<grumpy> you'd probably get turned away form our top with one of those unless you had a tip permit </grumpy>