Sale: Possible Swaps? CPJ's New Saab 95 Sport - 1.9 TiD

cpjitservices

Hi all,

As you know I've got a new car! 

I like it.

By no means is it perfect but then I didn't expect it to be. I'll dedicate this thread to the Ins & Outs of the 06 plate Saab. 

Looking through the car there is no Service history - So I'll start my own, first job will be Oil & Filters change. Will get it in for reluctor ring change to at some point. There's also an error with the fuel filter, the sensors cover is smashed ergo, its letting water in putting the EML on.

I shall sort those.

Bodywork is fine, Very little in the way of rust/rot. Front bumper has clips missing so a corner below the headlight pops off, no great shakes - but I'll sort it. Alloys have a few scuffs & dings but will clean up nicely. Tyres are all nearly brand new- winter ones too. I need a new passenger side door mirror glass - there's a stick on lens at the moment over the top of the original glass as the original glass is somewhat damaged - I'll get that done soon (ebay).

There's a knack to getting the key in & out of the ignition, put into reverse and then some more whilst lifting key is the trick. Maybe an adjustment can be made to fix that - in time!

Everything electrical seems to work fine!

Freebies: Dashcam (works perfect), Bluetooth system (again working perfectly), tyre compressor machine thing (in the spare wheel well)

It runs & drives fine, no knocks bangs or clunks - and more than powerful enough - second gear it can pin you to your seat! 133k on the clock so its due belts, which will be done ASAP.

It's also very very comfy!

Going to get a full valet at the weekend and a good clean (pics to follow, Before & after).

Keep your eyes open for updates!!!!

:)

PS - Interior shots to come soon!

post-20838-0-11249500-1551271289_thumb.jpg

post-20838-0-38708100-1551271327_thumb.jpg

post-20838-0-10773600-1551271343_thumb.jpg

Looks lovely and yes they are very torquey! Add a tuning chip to that and it’ll be even more so!

Nice you have a dashcam hard wired in too - that is something I want to get in the Prius but don’t want wires dangling everywhere

Are they correct alloys for this shape 9-5? I swear they are 9-3 Vector alloys.....

A lovely comfortable cruiser :)

Looks lovely and yes they are very torquey! Add a tuning chip to that and it’ll be even more so!

Nice you have a dashcam hard wired in too - that is something I want to get in the Prius but don’t want wires dangling everywhere

Are they correct alloys for this shape 9-5? I swear they are 9-3 Vector alloys.....

A lovely comfortable cruiser :)

Dashcam came with the car - was already wired in.... Bonus! Even has memory card in!

What I like to do when I get a new car is leave it to stand for a day or so.

Its been overnight there's no sign of the battery going flat - there's a knackered valve on one of the tyres apparently but none of them seem to be going down. There's also no drips on the cardboard I've put under the front so hopefully, no oil leaks - there are under trays fitted, they look dry!

Having a car with no oil leaks is a first for me!!!!

What I like to do when I get a new car is leave it to stand for a day or so.

Its been overnight there's no sign of the battery going flat 

Unlike my 'new' V70. Haven't used it since Monday. Went out this morning to do a bit of electrical probing - battery's as flat as the proverbial.

Glad I'm not at work tonight.

Unlike my 'new' V70. Haven't used it since Monday. Went out this morning to do a bit of electrical probing - battery's as flat as the proverbial.

Glad I'm not at work tonight.

Crikey that's a bind!!

Shame your not closer to me, I've a spare big battery you could lend.

It's a big'un too (Said the actress, to the bishop).

It's worth leaving a 'new' car just to sit to find these things out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Looks a cracking buy.  I had a couple of 9-5's back in the day, a saloon and then an estate. Lovely comfy cars and would have another late one.

Bit of a bargain for what you paid - well bought.

Thanks it is a cracking motor for what I paid... It was a toss up between this and a V70, I'm glad I got this. Very comfy indeed. Most comfy I've been in a car.

Nice and clean inside this morning, hoovered out and all smelling very nice!

Next couple of weeks ill get it properly valeted - will also be getting claybarred, cleaned and polished on the outside! 

Could this be one of the best cars I've ever owned? - It's certainly getting under my skin!

Had a problem with boot not locking onto its mechanism so not shutting properly, it may need a new mechanism on the tailgate - easy enough!

Could this be one of the best cars I've ever owned? - It's certainly getting under my skin!

I say this about Saabs. Not everyone gets it and sometimes it can take a while for when it does. But when it does, it becomes the family pet. Even the GM ones retained enough soul from the Saab engineers who designed it.

I also say Saabs aren't that reliable. The only reason why they do big miles is because they get under your skin and owners are prepared to keep throwing cash at them.

Hmmm, not that reliable? My 9-3 has done 60k miles, basic servicing and a brake servo, never had an FTP. My 1990 c900 vert, owned 10 years, never had an FTP. In fact, with all my Saabs over 30 years, I have had one FTP, fuel pump went on a £400 c900 after 20k miles. I do appreciate that there are examples that put that to the test, but in my experience, they are the most reliable make I have had.

Back in the '70s there was a common expression, "once a Saab driver, always a Saab driver". Often still true today.

I say this about Saabs. Not everyone gets it and sometimes it can take a while for when it does. But when it does, it becomes the family pet. Even the GM ones retained enough soul from the Saab engineers who designed it.

I also say Saabs aren't that reliable. The only reason why they do big miles is because they get under your skin and owners are prepared to keep throwing cash at them.

I throw cash at my cars anyway, I have a reliable garage who I manage IT Services for... So all of my cars go there. If I have a car I like then I don't mind spending... My Jag... The blue one was my baby and I must have spent at least £1500 on it... Gearbox flush, rear shocks, tyres, disks and pads all round, the engine had also a thorough service.

Only reason I got rid was due to a circumstance surround my employment.

The Saab is going in next couple of weeks for a full service and to fit a replacement fuel filter cover as it's missing at the moment and popping on the EML, I've ordered the cover. It's also getting a full valet, claybar and polish in next couple of weeks!!

I really do like it... So I'll spend the money to get it spot on.

My stop gaps I've spent money on as far as to keep them running so I can travel to where I need to be - but the Saab is definitely my new baby.

And my word... It's so comfy!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

News:

Its not due belts until 191k ;) found a sticker on side of the cam cover - belts were changed in 2017!! :)

It's usually the water pump that causes issues on these, most garages will not change belts without replacing the pump- on the upside, they break rockers usually before bending valves.

My 9-5 is still getting loads of fettling.. decided I'm not in the best position to change the subframe bushes myself at the moment so asked around a few local garages to do it...which was bloody difficult. None of them want to take it on, too old, chance of breaking bolts, don't know anything about them.....FFS. So I'll be doing it myself then..

It's usually the water pump that causes issues on these, most garages will not change belts without replacing the pump- on the upside, they break rockers usually before bending valves.

My 9-5 is still getting loads of fettling.. decided I'm not in the best position to change the subframe bushes myself at the moment so asked around a few local garages to do it...which was bloody difficult. None of them want to take it on, too old, chance of breaking bolts, don't know anything about them.....FFS. So I'll be doing it myself then..

What is it with garages turning down work? I find this myself quite often. I usually have to talk them through a job and do a bit of convincing before they take on an older car. Where is the professional pride? Yes it will be a bit harde but they are professionals with all the kit?!

Been mentioned before that most realise that on older cars things arent as straight forward so tend to incur extra time or costs which increases the chances of a car being stuck on a ramp depriving them of income. 

Normally people are running older cars due to a lack of funds so therefore are often looking for teh cheapest solution so when things go wrong and the bill increases the chances of being paid decrease. 

If I have the choice between a job that is relativity straight forward and I am going to get paid for versus an unknown challenging job that I may not get paid for, it is a no brainer.