Dollywobbler's Dodgy Mazda 323F PAS Woes - £provisionally sold

dollywobbler

post-20412-0-67796600-1551894182_thumb.jpgpost-20412-0-19093500-1551894266_thumb.jpgpost-20412-0-34014800-1551894314_thumb.jpg

Hope the bits you had off me yesterday will be of good use. The sunroof is a tilt and slide jobbie. - slides in to the roof though. The sealing system is quite simple. It's basically rubber seal that sits around the perimeter of the glass and that about it. There's a generous drainage tray beneath it with two quite large drain holes in the front quarters. If there is no obvious fault in the mechanism affecting the fitment of the glass there shouldn't be a major problem sorting the leak. As others above have said and going from what I have seen on my scrapper it's most certainly drain hole blockage related.

attachicon.gifDSC_2091.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_2090.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_2092.JPG

Hope the bits you had off me yesterday will be of good use. The sunroof is a tilt and slide jobbie. - slides in to the roof though. The sealing system is quite simple. It's basically rubber seal that sits around the perimeter of the glass and that about it. There's a generous drainage tray beneath it with two quite large drain holes in the front quarters. If there is no obvious fault in the mechanism affecting the fitment of the glass there shouldn't be a major problem sorting the leak. As others above have said and going from what I have seen on my scrapper it's most certainly drain hole blockage related.

Thanks. That confirms I've got an entirely different roof. Aftermarket jobbie it is then. Ugh.

With my Westie I have a sun roof. It is after market. The sliding roof sits in a tray and that tray has four small tubes, located at each corner. The tubes are a not very long. On these outlets  are fixed the tubes in which the rain water runs down. Because the routing has to wind it's way down the A pillar and then above the front inner wing  flexible tubes are used. In this case they are orange butane pipes.  The old ones, which I have replaced, still had the date on them so I can tell this was the standard way of draining the sun roof.

If the pipes get blocked I use an old speedo drive (inner) to rod the drain. The speedo cable is very flexible and certainly long enough to clear any blockage.
I hope that this tip will be of some help in either solving or an ideas "moment" to solving the leak

An answer to those you have left comments about you using the services of a garage. Wheeler Dealers outsource jobs, Hoovie, never really gets is gloves out! There are other examples.

Decided it looks better in the dark.

D1pWCGjXcAAtP8-.jpg

This was actually Part Two of today's work. Got home and got tinkering before I'd even got the kettle on. Off with the old, knackered pipe and fitted the new one from Braddon81 that I collected last week. Gave the MAF a dose of brake cleaner while the pipe was off, though the collection of parts from Braddon includes a replacement airbox and MAF. Did that, and it sounded like the hot idle was better - below 1000rpm. 

Parked it up, but then someone said you needed to reset the ECU really, so I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and reconnected it. Can't say it seemed to make any difference - 1600rpm idle on a cold-ish engine. Will see what it's like in the morning.

I also pulled the electric sunroof switch out (not connected to anything) the other day. Water was still dripping in this morning, but will see how it is on the 260-mile drive tomorrow. The sunroof is taped up, so I'm hoping any drips were just old water...

2500rpm cold idle this morning. Just what my neighbours wanted at half seven, I'm sure. 260 miles covered. Some findings.

41mpg is pretty good given horses were not spared.

The hot idle is 1100rpm. Unless you deliberately bog the engine with the clutch and release, at which point it drops to where it should be.

Despite being taped up, the sunroof is still managing to leak. FFS.

Having to push the wiper stalk away from you for a flick-wipe is really annoying.

The seats are bloody horrible. Almost exactly as uncomfortable (and in exactly the same way) as the seats in that bloody Impreza I drove to The Netherlands last year. So much lumbar support that it feels like someone has wedged a plank of wood in your lower back.

But, it is pretty peaceful at speed, and a joy to drive in Wales, even when you're tired and just want to be home. It generally lopes along in fifth gear pretty majestically. Overall, I think I like it.

If you think it is the MAF have you checked it is working?

Personally I do not think that the high idle is going to be found if you: In no order of recommendation.

a) inspect that the throttle cable returns to the correct position.

B) inspecting all vacuum hoses. May just replace them?

c) inspect and ensure the correct workings of any air temp sensors the car has.

d) Inspect and ensure the correct working of the Lambda sensor.

e) Important for fuel injection cars, purchase a code reader.

I do not thing is it either the MAF or PCV because the idle is not rough.

That sounds way too professional. I progress along the lines of random guesswork with occasional hammer use.

I did squirt brake cleaner all around the engine bay with the engine running, and no difference to the running was observed. I also reset the base idle, and that has certainly made the hot idle more sensible. Had to wait until today for the cold idle. Still 2500rpm...

I replaced the MAF, checking that the air cleaner is clean (looked brand new). Still a 2000rpm cold idle, but it did seem to settle down more quickly. I've got a 600rpm hot idle - a touch low perhaps, but I'll take that in preference to 1100rpm.

I then got the power washer out and cleaned out all the moss around the sunroof (having removed the tape - soaking wet underneath, so no help at all) and the gutters. A lot of moss was removed!

D2BtipiX0AAvuCG.jpg

Personally, I reckon most of the water was leaking between the frame of the sunroof and the body, so I got the Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure out and did both the surround and around the glass too. I'll report back...

My mum had a 626 in the same colour, on a K reg so the generation that looked a bit like a stretched Mondeo.

Does the number plate say Pentraeth Mazda?

They had a great advert on S4C in the 1990s that had a family from a Welsh comedy programme (in character) come and ‘buy’ a car from them. It ended with the most gormless character staring at the camera saying ‘MAS-DA’ in a really strong North Walian accent.

Local TV ads, they were great.

Edit - think the characters were from ‘Come on Midfield’ - no 5 on this list: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/tv/definitive-ranking-welsh-tv-shows-12929462.amp

My mum had a 626 in the same colour, on a K reg so the generation that looked a bit like a stretched Mondeo.

Does the number plate say Pentraeth Mazda?

They had a great advert on S4C in the 1990s that had a family from a Welsh comedy programme (in character) come and ‘buy’ a car from them. It ended with the most gormless character staring at the camera saying ‘MAS-DA’ in a really strong North Walian accent.

Local TV ads, they were great.

Edit - think the characters were from ‘Come on Midfield’ - no 5 on this list: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/tv/definitive-ranking-welsh-tv-shows-12929462.amp

It does indeed say Pentraeth Mazda. I only really noticed that today. I guess this isn't its first time in Wales...