1983 Landcruiser goes to Europe

lesapandre

Just swabbed by customs and on the dock. No old vehicles about. Just me. I freed off the heater valve so at last it is warm inside. Its a 4.0 diesel - remarkably economical - engine is by Hino I think. Made for fork- lift trucks originally. Maxes at 3500rpm....looks like we are loading..

post-20142-0-91432900-1551227491_thumb.jpg

Yes its 24 volts. Batteries at the front one each behind the headlamps. Yes they were cheap. They do get very tatty but it has a full chassis so survive. It is on leaf springs on solid axles but it drives surprisingly nicely once you get used to it. Parts are easy to find - you can get everything thought they are mostly imported from Australia and the US.

The rather nice French reg. Xantia turbodiesel lost a belt on the ferry. X-Type UK reg diesel sounds a bag of nails. I don't think they will get far. I'm on the autoroute outside Boulogne. Meanwhile Landcruiser looks a bit low on brake fluid but so far so good. I will give it a top up.

post-20142-0-01533300-1551257391_thumb.jpg

post-20142-0-93868900-1551257423_thumb.jpg

Nice.  I used to see a diesel LJ60 round my way quite regularly - metallic grey with red and orange side graphics.  Not seen it for a couple of years though.  There's a few LJ80s near me as well, including a 4.5-litre petrol one with a loud exhaust owned by a chap up the road.

Coffees consumed 3

Gazoil put in €50

Miles covered 270

Breakdowns 0

C15's spotted1

Citroen AX 1

And down on the farm a Citroen HY 'tube' converted to a cattle trailer in the distant past. Stuff like this used to be all over the place.  Less now. Fewer old cars too, the new tougher on corrosion French MoT (CT) perhaps weeding them out.

post-20142-0-09486900-1551348487_thumb.jpg

The classics are long wheelbase ones. I don't know if that is rare? Looks like somebody's collection.

Possibly going to launch event for JLR, they often have old ones kicking about as background and for the journos to see how far they've come. Only thing is apart from the new Evoque I didn't think there was anything new coming until the Road Rover next year. Having lovely old LSEs around would make the Evoque look even more like a Kia.

They built them in both 12V and 24V variants but I don't think many 24V were sold new to private customers.  As above, military, fire brigade and commercial spec were 24V.

I sometimes while away some time specifying my ideal Land Cruiser here https://www.toyota.com.au/main/landcruiser-70  GXL wagon in Sandy Taupe please.

I think mine is the 24volt - dash reads 16-32v with 24 marked as a mid-way. I have the special button to provide extra to the glowplugs. Best way to start is to cycle the glow plugs three times. Given it is a 4l 6 it does take some cranking.

Coffees 1

Croissants 1

Gazoil 0

Citroen C15's 2 (outside the same cafe)

Citroen AX 3

Miles 35

Brakedowns 0 (thought the rad is losing water but it did do 200 miles yesterday) so will keep an eye out.