Peugeot 206 SW

Marm Toastsmith

OK, maybe not entirely serious, but I clocked one round the corner from my house this morning and they look brilliant. Had been off my radar but small fuel efficient stylish estate and seem to be plenty of cheap ones about, presumably comfy and fun to drive in a french sort of way - what's not to like?

1.4 petrol appeals with cheap tax/insurance/ulez friendly.

I love my 205 but nine times out of ten the CR-V gets used for practicality reasons. One of these looks like being a bit more jolly and efficient, but equally practical...

I like the styling of these but I had a 1.4 306 and I remember it feeling fairly gutless at the time.

A nice drive overall but certainly without much shove.

Obv could be a different kettle of fish in the 206 though.

I've only ever sat in 306s and 206s... never driven... but the 206 definitely felt like a lighter, smaller car.

1.4 205 goes like a rocket... I think the newer engine has a few more horses, but then the 206 is prob a bit heavier.

Do the wheels go round, or wobble like they're not attached. Do they point to the sky as if there's a tonne of bricks in the boot.

Nice, I think I can handle that... Would you need to jack up to check or just give them a good shake?

There's a cheap one near me here.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/peugeot/peugeot-206-sw-1.4-8v-superb-estate.-perfect-drive.-recent-service-taxed-to-go/1331103549

From a dealer, loads of miles, short mot. Not exactly ideal conditions but as I say, near and cheap.

Axles are not too difficult to change by yourself, I have done a berlingo which is the same design. You can change the radius arm bearings, but not much more for the complete reconditioned axle. Stand behind the car on a level surface if the rear wheels sit like this /-\ instead of this |-| then expect to need an axle. I have owned a couple 206, one was a 1.4 8v lx which was not fast but not really economical either, then a 1.4 16v sport which was quite a nippy thing and easier on fuel. Check for an oil leak on the front timing belt side from the head gasket. Its very common and needs a head gasket to fix, or in the case of my older one keep topping up the oil. My leaky one needed about a litre every 1000 miles, which just saved me doing an oil change as such as it never got dirty in 21000 miles, and the engine got a steam clean the day before the mot

I just saw you have a 205, they are not nearly so good a car as the 205, they feel heavier and bloated compared to a 205, and for me not so comfy either. But then I think the 205 is the best small hatch ever made, bar none.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

What about a 1.4 hdi?.... £30 road tax....how does that sit with ulez?

Not ULEZ compliant. Otherwise probably a good buy.

I have owned a couple 206, one was a 1.4 8v lx which was not fast but not really economical either, then a 1.4 16v sport which was quite a nippy thing and easier on fuel. 

I just saw you have a 205, they are not nearly so good a car as the 205, they feel heavier and bloated compared to a 205, and for me not so comfy either. But then I think the 205 is the best small hatch ever made, bar none.

I guess as the SW was introduced late in the life of the 206 it's got the 16v lump... will look into it.

Interesting comment re 205. Maybe I should think about a more practical spec 205 - mine is a convertible. Main thing is the load carrying ability of the little 206, plus things like 60/40 rear seats, proper seat belts in the back, etc. In some ways the 205 could do with a bit more bloat in terms of being a practical family car...although it's perfect for thrashing around in. I guess I was hoping that the 206 would have some of the 205's personality but still be good for hauling bikes, tip runs, rainy days, and motorway jaunts with or without the family.

I've been looking at 106s and Saxos, too. In a way maybe they share more with the 205?

I was looking for a 206sw a few months ago as I just like estates, really wanted a 1.4 diesel, £30 tax, lots of MPG's practical with dog and the lads football. 

Small, cheap, practical =  sold within a couple of hours. 

I then noticed 207SW's, slightly bigger than the 206, much more modern look and interior and comfy to drive, still in the £30 tax bracket, Some not all, I spent many hours checking on total car check as a lot of the car sites list them as low tax but emissions are just over the magic 120. The biggest problem is they were over my budget. I saw one on Ebay (where else) being sold by a new trader that had a little bump, phoned him up but we couldn't agree a price over the phone, I put a bid in on ebay with 5 mins left to go and won it for less than my phone bid. 

I'm about 4 months in now, brilliant little car, 40 mpg knocking about and 65 on a run. It's also used for tip runs, collecting crap from builders merchants, ferrying kids around football, it's just working as a car really. 

post-4612-0-13125600-1551347253_thumb.jpeg

I've a 206 1.4 petrol , a 205 1.6 and 306 XUD and the 206 is the choice to use as an everyday car, not a tinny as the 205 and does everything in a nicely bland way with no hassle as fits a 6'2". Even tows a trailer.

Buy my one here

http://autoshite.com/topic/34532-peugeot-206-14lx-x-reg-mot-sept-19-5-doors-n-towbar-%C2%A3300/

I've a 206 1.4 petrol , a 205 1.6 and 306 XUD and the 206 is the choice to use as an everyday car, not a tinny as the 205 and does everything in a nicely bland way with no hassle as fits a 6'2". Even tows a trailer.

Buy my one here

http://autoshite.com/topic/34532-peugeot-206-14lx-x-reg-mot-sept-19-5-doors-n-towbar-%C2%A3300/

Good comments - exactly what I was hoping. Yours is tempting and looks a bargain - I'm surprised it hasn't sold already, and it started me thinking about 206s. From my point of view I think worth waiting for an estate plus a later car will be ULEZ compliant.

As above, 206 SW axles have an extra strut on each side that has a bush on either end to help support the extra weight an SW might be expected to place on the axle arms. The torsion bars will likely be fatter too. Service box will tell the specs if you click on the Characteristics’ link after putting the VIN in.

I’m about to find out if the dimensions are the same as the standard hatch one; I’m breaking my old 2.0HDI DTurbo SW, using the axle on our 206CC and the engine/box on my Partner with a knackered 1.6HDI DV6 engine.