Jaguar XJS 3.6 Manual

Broadsword

Nice to see this out and about Josh - it's coming along fantastically well. Took it up to the farm I see - you have some fantastic driving roads around your place……..

On another note - please confirm - that was mum driving yes? - that, or I failed to notice your penchance for tights/leggings!

I'll be bothering you soon for advice/contacts for certain XJR6 related messings. Once I get it in the air next week or so I'll be in touch.

Keep up the fine fettling. Be lucky!

Nice to see this out and about Josh - it's coming along fantastically well. Took it up to the farm I see - you have some fantastic driving roads around your place……..

On another note - please confirm - that was mum driving yes? - that, or I failed to notice your penchance for tights/leggings!

I'll be bothering you soon for advice/contacts for certain XJR6 related messings. Once I get it in the air next week or so I'll be in touch.

Keep up the fine fettling. Be lucky!

That was indeed my mother driving while I did a shoddy bit of filming. There is an eagerness on both sides to drive the XJS, it's that much fun!

Happy to help on all matters XJR6, all part of the Broadsword after sale care package.

More progress on the XJS as the weather has been good:

*Handbrake fettled with. It actually works if you know how to use it. Needs the handbrake light switch fiddling with a bit, that's all.

*Dash lights fixed.

*XJR6 wheels fettled with and put on, still needing centre caps for them.

*Coolant system drained, flushed with water, then flushed with Liquid Moly coolant system cleaner, then filled up with fresh coolant.

*Oil flush (Liquid Moly again) and oil + filter changed (30 mm sump plug on these engines!). I use 10W-40 semi synthetic in these engine. Thinner, higher quality oils do not agree with AJ6/16/S.

*Intake bellows/MAF/throttle body cleaned while doing the oil change.

The car is running really nice now, no more mechanical work on the list.

Also the car has been attacked with the new machine polisher. Results are encouraging. With some cutting compound quite a lot of the previous owner's handy work (I want to throttle him for using an orbital sander!). More work on the paint tomorrow!

post-20621-0-22347400-1556042554_thumb.jpg

post-20621-0-70666900-1556042652_thumb.jpg

post-20621-0-07163600-1556042719_thumb.jpg

post-20621-0-32041900-1556042750_thumb.jpg

Right, some more work occurred this morning. Other work + probably bad weather later this week means no more XJS progress expected this week.

First I had to tighten the alternator belt a little (I'm rubbish at getting the initial tension on belts right when fitting new belts), very easy to do. Then I decided to give the front bulkhead a light dusting with satin black to tidy the engine bay up. After that I fitted the spare exhaust heat-shield to replace the very rusty original piece. Once fitted and after about 60 seconds effort with some Autosol metal polish and it looks amazing. I like it how once piece can really lift the appearance of a significant area on the car. Very pleasing. While I was at it, I tested the Autosol on the front bumper chrome. It really works great. I think the bright work will come up very well on this. Then on with the bonnet and grille (also polished up) on to make the car derivable again.

Another very small detail that makes a significant improvement to the exterior. I replaced the rusty number place screws and used colour co-ordinating blanking plugs to tidy things up. Small rusty screws really detract even though it's a tiny detail!

The final development for today was that an original XJS wheel has been sourced for a reasonable price and will be on it's way shortly.

This means the Momo wheel is for sale. It's a Momo Prototipo 350 mm wheel in good condition. £80 takes it.

post-20621-0-55549000-1556129817_thumb.jpg

post-20621-0-76487000-1556129857_thumb.jpg

post-20621-0-06586900-1556129912_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The weather has been terrible for an extended period, which has killed off progress. Frustrating. Today I managed to get most of the interior back in. Headlining, pillar trims, boot carpets etc. Looks much more like a car now. A bit more fettling on the exterior and then it's time for finishing touches. Won't be long till this is on sale. Just a couple good days work in warm dry conditions and it will have been taken as far as I can take it with my resources.

IMG_6718.JPG

IMG_6719.JPG

IMG_6720.JPG

2 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

The weather has been terrible for an extended period, which has killed off progress. Frustrating. Today I managed to get most of the interior back in. Headlining, pillar trims, boot carpets etc. Looks much more like a car now. A bit more fettling on the exterior and then it's time for finishing touches. Won't be long till this is on sale. Just a couple good days work in warm dry conditions and it will have been taken as far as I can take it with my resources.

IMG_6718.JPG

IMG_6719.JPG

IMG_6720.JPG

That's looking very tidy! Worth all your hard work

Forgot to update this thread. The car sold yesterday on auction (third time lucky) and was just collected this morning. After many people messing me around, finally someone sensible turned up and the transaction was very simple. He was looking for a project and didn't have unrealistic expectations of the car, so everyone was happy. It was priced accordingly really so I think it was all fair enough in the end. The great thing is that the new owner will be able to respray the car, which will really elevate it. The car was eventually made all blue. Crap paint, but I don't have the facilities to paint in a booth. Really I just wanted the roof not to be black any more, which was accomplished. The car is running great and the interior bone dry even after all the recent heavy rain so the interior fettling was a success.

Final verdict. Yes it's a excellent Jag with the 3.6 and the manual box in particular. Road manners are really good and a lot of the bits are simple enough that you can work on it yourself. Above all buy one with the welding done like this one even if the paint is bad. Much better that than shiny on top and rotten underneath like many other on the market I feel. Secretly I like the XK8 more despite it being relatively unreliable, mainly because of the drop dead good looks. I suspect somewhere down the line I will buy another XK8. Values have really tumbled recently. I've seen them selling for as little as £1500.

I still have the Azev wheel for sale if anyone is interested.

IMG_6732.JPG