BMW: Is it worth fixing?

Crispian_J_Hotson

The 318 that's up for sale looks as though it needs an ABS pump, an internal fault they suffer from apparently. I can get a pump for £50 but it really needs it's faults read and I'm not set up for OBD1. It's not a bad job to change it but what do you reckon is best?

Get the faults read and change the part or

Discount the sale price (like I have done by £200)

I'm not using the car anymore so I really can't be arsed with it. Be nice to get some shitters views, even if you're not mechanically minded.

At one time I'd have said 'fix it'. Nowadays, if I can't be arsed I won't bother and do what you suggest. If you're not interested in the car anymore best thing to do is move it on.

That's not to say I now reject all the tenets of shite; I'm well aware that I've just agreed to part with more money than my BX is worth in order to keep it for another year.

Fix it or be prepared for morons on eBay or gumtree. Someone on here may save it as a few like those era beemers. Personally I would either sort it or as SA says punt it on quick as life is too short to answer a million questions. In my experience there is little worse in the world than selling a sub £1k car with issues.

If the pump has gone I imagine it is the solders that have broken in the electrical bit on the side? You can send them away and they resolder the joints....that'll be what it is if leaking isn't the reason it has failed providing the module on those is bolted to the pump and it is one whole unit? Very common on mid 90's VAG's....how do I know? Had a spate of A6's and A4's with this very problem. Vibration is what kills it eventually......I also knew it was the electrical side of it too because I had VAGCOM on my laptop (the full fat version) and it just would not connect to the module. Everything else would connect fine but the ABS.....nope, it just wasn't having it....Can you go old school and use a voltmeter and measure the resistance from each wheel buy rotating the wheel with the car in the air to make sure all sensors are operating correctly? I remember having to do this when I simply could not find anyone with an OBD2 reader that would sync up with a Chrysler Grand Voyager I had. It was by using the above method I was able to determine that the passenger ABS sensor was at fault.

The only slight shame is that its not a 323/5 or 328

Hope you get it sorted! Someone'll have one sat on a shelf somewhere!...

I am also a member on here...........

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?14-1991-1999-(E36)

Ohh come on now....I'm just teasing you...... 1164899 I believe the part number to be.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/34-52-1164899-5WK8453-ABS-ECU-MODULE-BMW/272733531774?hash=item3f802f6e7e:g:NY4AAOSwDNdV3Fcs

seeing as you extended me the same courtesy as to alert me to what the heck that bulb was for my Prius the other day! ;)

Please double check part numbers although I'm sure this is the one! £13 posted!

Failing that......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-Series-Module-ABS-ESP-Computer-ECU-1138219-100940-11014-3452-1138219/202550351484?hash=item2f28f1167c:g:P0oAAOSwrpJcL8tB:rk:1:pf:0

This has a green sticker displaying the part number whereas the one in the reply above I suggested has a yellow sticker. Just double check part numbers to be on the safe side. This one is still only £13.50ish though! :)

Yeah, there's a few pumps kicking around. P/N is 1164897, not the most common. I think I might do free stuff to it like check the sensor outputs at the main plug. I could even re solder the joints myself, see a YouTube where a geezer bypasses the ribbon type supplies with real wires. I mean, if it's fucked m9, I can't make it worse.

Yeh as a first port of call do that and check the outputs at each wheel then failing that try and offer them £30? I imagine some of these bits will have been sat on the shelf for a while. There is a turbo I have had in my watch list for a 2.2 D4-D for about 2 years and I reckon I could offer the guy half of what he's got it up for and he'll accept.....FACT 2.2 Toyota D4-D turbo's just don't go! LOL