Most obscure car you’ve owned?

Peter C

Had a Crayford corsair back in 1981,was a stylish looking thing in red with White vynil trim,WRO299F,sold it for £500.00,no silly ford added tax in those days.

It's still around.

DVLA says 1662cc, (so still a V4), now 'blue', taxed and MOT'd til August 2019 :-)

Being such a rare car there could well be pics around on the net.

The owner Richard was an unusual sort for sure, the videos were hilariously bad and he would frequently get to a tricky bit and say something like ‘when you get to this bit it will be obvious’ which really meant it’s hard so I couldn’t bothered to sort it properly. Mine was an early one with the awful sliding pillar from suspension made from the macpherson strut inserts from the donor Sierra.

Yeah mine too, were you a member of rhocar?

As me and my mate were quite young at the time we followed the videos quite closely, got to the end, got it SVA'd after 3 retests! Drove it for a summer and took it off the road over winter in 2001 to improve it and it never went back on the road, sold it in 2016 to a bloke who was going to fit a different engine and use it on the track..

Did you get to any of the meets in Stone?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Yeah mine too, were you a member of rhocar?

As me and my mate were quite young at the time we followed the videos quite closely, got to the end, got it SVA'd after 3 retests! Drove it for a summer and took it off the road over winter in 2001 to improve it and it never went back on the road, sold it in 2016 to a bloke who was going to fit a different engine and use it on the track..

Did you get to any of the meets in Stone?

I was never a member of RHOCAR and dint do any of the meets, made it with my father in law. The SVA was a laugh and I ended up putting a second wiring loom in due to issues. It was ok but no sportscar, I got bored and sold it to a guy down south who stripped it down to put a v8 in but it never saw the road again judging from the MoT history site.

No Steve, you failed to complete it then flogged it as a garage ornament!

:D;)

Not true, twas completed and run for a summer but had to make some changes, like fitting a fixed scuttle and windscreen as the original design had an alligator bonnet mounted on two roofing bolts, terrified that in the event of a minor bump the bonnet would slice ones torso in half... Was good fun to drive nonetheless..

It's still around.

DVLA says 1662cc, (so still a V4), now 'blue', taxed and MOT'd til August 2019 :-)

Being such a rare car there could well be pics around on the net.

Last time I saw it was in a classic ford type magazine about 20years ago,it was indeed re sprayed light blue metallic and living in Scotland,it's original colour was silver fox and I seem to remember it had many owners and I can tell you it looked good but was king rotten.

i once had a Daewoo Prince and a Daewoo Tico at the same time, both new from a dealerership that turned out to be a money laundering operation of a Nigerian drug dealer.

Well you wouldn't open a Day Wooo dealer for the profit would you?

My most obscure shite?

Toss up between Rover 620 turbo and Rover 100 Kensington Diesel.

Both were indeed toss.

The 620t was shagged and the Rover100 was a Rover100!

Not sure if the most obscure I owned was the Renault 6TL or the Ledbury Maestro.  Pretty close run thing for their own reasons really.

post-5335-0-09510200-1550945089_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-54718800-1550945227_thumb.jpg

No idea on the fate of either of them.  They both just sort of disappeared after I sold them.

Et tu, Brute?

I found the K70 alright, but it could have done with power steering.

Nice smooth engine - but the seating position and seats were very uncomfortable. Thin rimmed steering wheel - all in all just a bit austere. No a thing that you could love. But the Datsun 260C estate was an amazingly nice steer .

Buried in the undergrowth in my garden is the 5th Robin Hood Pre Production made. The RH is a monocoque construction, mine has a space frame made out of square section tube. The quality of the components and especially the assembly is exceedingly poor. Just before RH closed the doors for good, I phoned them and spoke to one of the engineers about the car. He was horrified it had survived, and very strongly suggested it was never completed as the box section tended to rust from the inside. It will never be completed.

Most obscure I have would be the Saab Sonett 2 stroke, one of 258 built and 2 in the UK, although my Cobra is unique being the only ally bodied RAM Chassised example and one of the Royces has a unique body fitted.

Probably only a kit from me, a Dutton Phaeton with a Lotus Twin Cam that had been heavily breathed on. A liability in all sorts of ways. The Lego Man sat on the back is now a senior structural engineer and made me a grandad about 5 years ago. The car has survived, it was on Ebay a couple of years ago heavily modified.

post-17633-0-99971100-1550948211_thumb.jpg

I had a 1964 Tatra 603 when they were pretty rare, I flew out to Germany and drove it back.

There was also a 1994 Tatra 613/4 Mi, pretty sure it was the only one of its type in the UK and they only made a few dozen anyway.

I’ve had 2 Suzuki Whizzkids which were awesome and a 1958 Peerless GT which was sold to a bloke in Australia.

The Land Rover station wagon was pretty rare too, it was a Series 3 109 V8 with overdrive which was fairly unusual spec but quite a common car

I've not owned anything that could hold a candle to any of the hardcore shiters, but this was somewhat obscure if you think about it.attachicon.gifXGt69xl.jpgAudi A4 1.8T quattro Sport. Bit of a mouthful.It had a sports interior, sports suspension, unique 17" wheels that were only used on the 1.8T quattro Sport, white dials (again only used on this exact model).It had a whopping 180hp to drag its lardy arse around, so it wasn't all that fast, and it was an utter bastard to get parts for.My one was also a mental colour; Java Green. Nobody else on the Audi forums had seen one in that colour.

My old man had one of them, only in that dark blue metallic. Everything else was the same.

After years of Ladas, FSOs and even a rear-engined Skoda, the answer is probably the Chevrolet Tacuma that I recently sold to Mr TheBeard of this parish.  My several American cars don't really count; at least I don't think so but then I've been immersed in the addictive buggers for decades.  Would you know a 1980 Buick Century Limited if you saw one?  OK, maybe that qualifies.

I have two almost identical Saab 9000s... does that make them doubly unusual or half as unusual I can’t decide...

All my cars are interesting but relatively common...

But I did once own the Triumph Dolomite driven to the Netherlands in a recent edition on Practical Classics...