Sign in to follow this  
paulscavalier

405 Sri fixing the broken bits

An update on the 405 and a general look round

post-12098-0-23391400-1550756754_thumb.jpgpost-12098-0-51083500-1550756810_thumb.jpgpost-12098-0-36875000-1550756860_thumb.jpgpost-12098-0-37079700-1550756909_thumb.jpgpost-12098-0-17796900-1550756937_thumb.jpgpost-12098-0-31273600-1550757018_thumb.jpg

Interior pics soon.

The front bumper came off its mountings because no one had bothered to fit the bottom three screws in so it caught on the kerb when I reversed off and pulled it off. I have bodged it back on for now as I have a new bumper ready to fit.

Initial impressions are that mechanically it’s good it has new tyres new cam belt and it drives well. One rear shock is starting to weep so I will get a new pair. The paint is ok ish for its age, the drivers side being rough where the door edge protectors were and under the fuel filler where the petrol spills have ruined the lacquer. The new front bumper rear bumper and spoiler will be painted as they are poor and the correct colour coded mirrors will be fitted as the passenger side is not working anyway. I haven’t done much inside yet just cleaned up the plastics and fixed the many blown bulbs. I am hoping to sort the bumper out early April. The underside is good and has even been waxoyled.

Nice save  :mrgreen:  The Autoglym colour restore is pretty good if doing it by hand. I was persuaded by Mr D Spares not to mop mine as the paint on these probably isn't the thickest or the best out there. It takes bloody ages mind and blisters were involved  :shock:

Was this on Ebay a while back?

Yes it was. They took an offer....

Apparently its the only Sri left in topaz blue so matching panels from another is a non starter. Paint is definitely not thick so I am going to have to be careful. I may well get the drivers side repainted if funds allow as it is the worst of the two. I definitely think its worth saving, there is very little wrong with it.

I can't believe there are so few of these Sri's left. The subtle uprating of the suspension settings really made these a great car to hoon about in back in the day,insurance was pretty cheap too, and yes it's basically the 205 1.9Gti engine. Great to see your giving this one some tlc. The o/s front wing was recently repainted so I presume the body shop that was used couldn't be arsed to put the bolts back in. I was very very tempted by this when it was first offered on ebay 3 or so years back. Registered locally to me originally by the looks of it. Brings back great memories of borrowing the keys to my father's 1991 Cherry Red Sri back in the early 90s whilst I had my Imp in bits.

The survival rate of petrol 405s is is lower than most people realise.

They weren't that plentiful to begin with, since the overwhelming majority of 405s was sold powered* by Beelzebub's diarrhea.

I was scoffed when I owned up to having a lot of cosmetic work done to mine, so the same will happen to you eventually.

Where were you able to source the colour coded mirrors from? I need one myself.

Good save, always liked Pug's mid ranger, I remember my PE teacher Mr Gill having one of these and on school sports day he would attach a BFO P.A system to roof bars on it, and blasted out stuff by the likes of Bruce Stringbean. His was the same colour, quite a few teachers seemed to drive mid range sporty repmobiles, there were 2 Sierra GLSis run by teachers, and another teacher had a Cavalier mk2 LXi

Good save, always liked Pug's mid ranger, I remember my PE teacher Mr Gill having one of these and on school sports day he would attach a BFO P.A system to roof bars on it, and blasted out stuff by the likes of Bruce Stringbean. His was the same colour, quite a few teachers seemed to drive mid range sporty repmobiles, there were 2 Sierra GLSis run by teachers, and another teacher had a Cavalier mk2 LXi

There was Citroen Bx love at our school along with the usual ford and Vauxhall and quite a few metros

Initial impressions are that mechanically it’s good it has new tyres new cam belt and it drives well. One rear shock is starting to weep so I will get a new pair.

Fine cars, I preferred driving an SRi to the Mi16, you could actually enjoy using the performance without worrying about your licence (as much). The dampers were Peugeot made and really good, I've known them weep a bit then reseal, perhaps give it time to start dripping oil before junking?

I had one of these whilst at Uni. loved it.

wish i still had one, the chassis is top notch.

Strangely one of my friends at uni had their old Dad's one, I was super jealous. I was also annoyed when he didn't have it after one summer and he told me he'd scrapped it. I would have happily given him scrap value for it, especially then when steel was rock bottom.

Have to say, the earlier interiors seem a whole lot more French than the later ones, and the earlier seats are amongst the best I've experienced. Later ones still up there of course.

G'damn I want another 405. Won't happen though.

Those Mk I interiors really take me back to my first selling job in a Peugeot dealership in Watford in 1988.  The 405 had just been launched and there was a lot of interest in it.  They really were a superb drive, hope yours still has that unmistakable Peugeot 'feel'.  The 205 and 405 had the best steering feel of any car I have ever driven.

It may be the only topaz blue SRi left but there should be a few topaz cars around in other trim levels, it was quite a popular colour.  Two early 405 colours which have completely disappeared are Panama beige and Calypso blue, both fairly weird solid colours.  

I also remember some of the appalling quality on some early 405s, they were making them too quickly.  One beige saloon we had the rear door skins actually flapped about as you shut the door, we also had an automatic with a loose clutch pedal flopping about.

Those Mk I interiors really take me back to my first selling job in a Peugeot dealership in Watford in 1988.  The 405 had just been launched and there was a lot of interest in it.  They really were a superb drive, hope yours still has that unmistakable Peugeot 'feel'.  The 205 and 405 had the best steering feel of any car I have ever driven.

It may be the only topaz blue SRi left but there should be a few topaz cars around in other trim levels, it was quite a popular colour.  Two early 405 colours which have completely disappeared are Panama beige and Calypso blue, both fairly weird solid colours.  

I also remember some of the appalling quality on some early 405s, they were making them too quickly.  One beige saloon we had the rear door skins actually flapped about as you shut the door, we also had an automatic with a loose clutch pedal flopping about.

?

Yup that was the high spec wheel until the airbag ones came out in '94

Ok cheers, must be one of the very last then as it's a 94 car. Must admit I do prefer the non airbag look.

Good to see this one on its original wheel trims too. They aren't too common any more. I had a right game trying to find a decent one and ended up having to buy a NOS one. I did manage to find a few more spares after 18 months or so though.