Changing the cars reg now the car is up for sale 2003 Jaaaag S type

Vince70

I might be able to get a free registration plate (plus the £80 fee and new plates for both vehicles) L77 ETS if I want it and was toying with the idea of putting on a 51 reg mini but to me a number plate is a number plate.

What do you guys think would you bother with a plate change.

I have had a few and don't think there's any harm in then if they aren't bastardised or mis spaced, wife's car has one currently and my cars and bikes don't, I have left a few on cars I've sold as I couldn't be arsed paying the fee again for something that meant nothing.

Saying that I'd be interested in it if you were to sell it as it'd be a good one for my brother, I'm only interested at beer money though :)

I've never done it but wish I had kept many of my pre-suffix plates some were pretty nice short numbers.    Having said that the transfer fee was probably more than the car in many cases.....I would definitely put a plate on something with a 51-onwards plate, I hate them!    Getting a plate for the transfer fee seems a pretty good deal and that is quite a nice six-digit one.   Verdict....would.

I have several but none are LNNLLL style, all are totally dateless.

It will disguise the age of your BINI if that is what you want.

If you know anyone called Leonardo Edward Thomas Smith and he was born in 1977, you might get a few quid for it when you’ve done with it

Leonardo has got to want the plate though.

I went to a DVSA Auction 15 years ago to try for 1LLL (LLL = My initials). It sold for about £12k, way over my ceiling. Dealer put it up for £20k and has sat on it for 15 years.

Guess I was the only person who wanted that combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm of the opinion a private plate is the biggest waste of money possible. People begrudge buying decent tyres but are happy to spiff a load of money on some random collection of letters that kinda vaguely spells something if you make a "7" into a "T" or some similar nonsense.

Everyone to their own.  A previous owner sold the original reg of my '61 Reliant in the 1980's and the car was given a spare number from an 'A' suffix 1963 sequence, as was the somewhat vague policy of the time.  Does it bother me that my '61 car has a '63 plate or that it is not the original?  Not even slightly.  It's had the suffix plate for considerably longer than it held the original.  If my initials were available on a plate for free, I would show some interest to pin it to my modern daily so that I could identify it amongst the lines of nearly identical dark grey hatchbacks in carparks.  An age related plate similarly holds no appeal to me for the Reliant.  I did try to persuade the DVLA to sell me the reg from my dad's first car, a 1933 A7 but, despite the fact it was crashed and scrapped by the American serviceman who bought it from my Dad in 1960(ish), they would not allow it.  My Reliant's V5c has all the correct information and dates recorded  - that is all that matters to me.

If the number means something to you and it's not too expensive why not?

If you are just disguising the age, In some cases it's worth it.

My wife liked them, she paid a grand for my sons van reg F2 MAL. Also had one on her car, which ment something to her, but was cheap.

I found it helped me remember the reg at a car park machine or in an Hotel.

I have to write mine on my hand now. 

I have an embarrassing reg number (say it out loud, ignoring the numbers), P394DOH on the 620. Ignoring the obvious Homer Simpson reference, I can well imagine it won't be long before a Sun-fuelled angry mob of nonce-chasers with pitchforks will soon be banging on my door and applying liberal amounts of graffiti to the car, my home and myself.

I'm quite tempted by the £250 DVLA want for P600CRH (my initials), if truth be told, to avoid such an eventuality.

I have an embarrassing reg number (say it out loud, ignoring the numbers), P394DOH on the 620. Ignoring the obvious Homer Simpson reference, I can well imagine it won't be long before a Sun-fuelled angry mob of nonce-chasers with pitchforks will soon be banging on my door and applying liberal amounts of graffiti to the car, my home and myself.

I'm quite tempted by the £250 DVLA want for P600CRH (my initials), if truth be told, to avoid such an eventuality.

Yeah, don't go to the Paulsgrove Estate in Portsmouth, they have form for that sort of thing. 

Being in posession of a 3-character first name, thats unusual outside of Wales, I do keep thinking of spanking £250 on a prefix plate - there are loads available for very cheap since I'm not bothered about the first 4 digits.

However there has not yet been a situation where I have £250 + £80 transfer fee available to hand and nothing better to spend it on, be it tyres, welding or other jobs beyond my meagre talents that have to be farmed out to professionals and paid for accordingly.

I have nothing against them as a concept, just never have enough disposable money to buy one over spending the money elsewhere.

Can't be bothered, myself. Some people are obsessed with concealing the age of their car because it's some kind of shame. Others are so desperate to tell everyone they're a flash wanker they have to have a shit plate that spells out something crap if you squint. Others feel they've got to show everyone they have a spare couple of hundred they can't find anything else to spend it on - but really could have done with spending the £300 on their actual car and not spaffing it on a shit 6-digit plate. I can't be arsed with it.

I’ve got to admit I’m not that bothered about it really it’s just it’s on my dads Jaag s type and he’s thinking of selling the car (the plate was already on it when he bought it off my work colleague)

I’ve offered the plate back to my collegue first but he doesn’t want it now and he bought the plate originally but then I’ve done the same and left some interesting plates on cars before as I can’t be bothered with the hassle.

I was thinking of putting the car up here for £450 as he spent £150 on it recently and obviously with the plate and it’s a real nice facelift S type with the later 6speed box and believe or not it’s actually rust free underneath with a long ticket and drives spot on and comes with a leaper lol

I think my dad is either the 3rd or 4th owner of the car as my mate from work had the car for yearspost-9282-0-53342700-1550702992_thumb.jpegpost-9282-0-73212700-1550703037_thumb.jpegpost-9282-0-17710200-1550703074_thumb.jpegpost-9282-0-04377700-1550703116_thumb.jpeg

Coach company round here does it, presumably to disguise their aging fleet, which all look early 1990's.

Interesting perspective. I too have observed that many modern coaches have some 'cherished' plates and often wondered why such a prevalence on coaches.

I sort of assumed that the coaches lasted a long time and the registration just got carried forward to the replacement unit. I never thought it was Coach and Bus operators wanting to disquisition an ageing fleet.

Anyway, it is what it is and folk 'pay their money and take their choice'.

It can of course be an expensive game for those who change their car frequently.

I have a plate that has been on four family cars in 20 years. The value of the plate has trebled in those 20 years, assuming there was a buyer for it. But even if there was not, the total cost of ownership of the plate, inc transfer fees works out at less than £1 a week.

Whether or not £1 a week for a cherished plate is worth it or not is upo folk to make their own decision. Many folk thing the cherished plate business is a load of sphericalls and they may well be right.

When I was a kid, on long journeys, I used to look for patterns in the reg plates in the locality. Sort of automotive I spy. I got quite good at it and could name many county letter combo's.

Then the DVLA cottoned on to the size of the market and the whole thing with cherished plates took off and is now a multi million pound business and the process is very slick these days. Plates can be transferred on-line in seconds and updated V5's arrive in days.