Abelw44's XJ8 Sov 4.0

abelw44

List updatificated! 

Just so everyone is aware, I have a gentleman coming to view the car at some point next week, though not sure if he will actually want to buy it. Just wanted to be clear that there is potential for the roffle not to go ahead. On the other hand, if everyone gets on and buys a load of tickets sharpish, then I will obviously roffle it first! 

Thanks,

abelw44

Can't believe I missed this! One of your finest randoms please. Would be good to catch up with you if I win. Which I can't....

I'm still in roffle mourning after not winning that glorious Safrane, so as far as I see it this is like counselling.

Afternoon all,

I'm afraid after moving the Jag out of my workshop and back home today, I realise she is in a very bad way. She's developed a few nasty flaws, the gearbox is knocking badly and it now has an engine management light. So for the time being I'm removing it from sale/roffle as I wouldn't feel right punting on this colossal money pit onto another member of the Autoshite collective, nor would any of them be daft enough to buy it having inspected it. I will work out what my plan for her is and report back once a decision has been made.

Apologies all.

abelw44

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Bugger. Hope it is just something silly like a borked battery.

Fair play for pulling the roffle and apologies for putting this mockers on it.

Of all the roffles I've entered, I think only one or two ever made it to the actual draw.

Right then chaps,

I've done a bit of fault finding, with the help of a friend who is a superb mechanic, and discovered a few major things.

First thing, is that I think the knocking noise is not the gearbox at all, and is actual a misfire. The engine is definitely misfiring and I suspect the unburnt fuel in the cylinders is what is causing the knocking. I think the misfire is being caused by an air leak through the intake manifold gasket, as I can hear air being sucked in when revving the engine and having sprayed some brake cleaner as a make shift smoke machine I can see that it is being blown around near the seal for the intake manifold.

So, I'm hoping that this misfire and consequent engine management light might be the main source of issue - i.e. I hope that the engine, due to it's misfire, is sending inaccurate signals to the gearbox, causing it to change at inappropriate times which gives the jerky/uneven changes. As I understand it, Hooli had the gearbox fluid changed at least once in an attempt to remedy the issues, but I'm going to try doing it again, ensuring that I've got all of the old oil out, replacing the filter and ensuring the car is as level as possible before refilling. Hopefully the combination of this, fixing the air leak and resetting some fault codes might produce a result!

I will keep the thread updated as I attempt to solve these issues...

Thanks,

Abelw44

• 2 weeks later...

just catching up on this. twas fatha thestag who arranged for a number of fluid and filter changes when it was owned by him.

also fitted a new upper lambda on drivers side.

most of the christmas tree lightage was down to battery not holding 12.7v at rest. fitting a new battery last year and giving it a monster charge up cleared all the faults including traction control, abs and gearbox faults.

misfire is something that I think Hooli wrote about

good luck with it

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

Been far too long since I updated this thread a bit... apologies

I've spent a bit of time attempting to fix the misfire - it was definitely an air leak somewhere, as I could hear the whistling noise. However, in attempting to diagnose where the air leak was I discovered a few other issues.

- The inlet manifold gaskets are indeed perished, hard and no good at making a decent seal

- The injectors are knackered - some of them just fell apart on removal, others are in desperate need of new seals (£10 per injector!)

- The earth strap between the engine and the chassis is knackered and needs replacing

I also had a better poke around underneath - what appeared to be quite a clean and tidy underside (fnar fnar) on first inspection is not - there is underseal covering a lot of rust. The underseal just pulls off and beneath it is rust. To make matters worse, the rust on the wheel arches has got substantially worse recently.

My conclusion is, that she's not worth saving, as she'll require a load of cash just to get the engine running properly, and that's before sorting all the rust.

So, before I get rid of it, any of you other XJ8/XJR own gents on here need any bits? Get in touch with a PM, you're welcome to any of it bar the wheels (Unless you've got a manky old set you can part exchange so I can roll it onto a scrap lorry) and we can discuss prices once the condition of the bits has been ascertained. 

Thanks,

Abelw44