What is the cheapest car to run I could buy (under 600)

Station

I'm probably selling the Porsche in a couple of weeks, and I'm after a stupidly economical car to get me around.

Obviously the good ol' Rover 213 is back on the wishlist, including the maroon Triumph Acclaim which was recently spotted for sale which is literally around the corner from me.

But I was thinking more extreme, like a 1.0 diesel Metro (I'm sure 1.4 was the least). I wouldn't mind a Micra or just general shite, I'd actually have fun with that type of thing.

No mentions of G-whiz's etc, as I couldn't afford them.

I can confirm that 1.5 diesel Metros seem to run on fresh air.The same probably goes for ax/saxo or 106.I cant think of much that can be run for less. A Reliant possibly?

A girl I worked with actually had a 1.4 Metro (Peugeot engine I think). She used to get from Chester to Liverpool everyday and back, and then using to get to another job at night and put in 12 quid a week!! :shock:

There is no 1.0 diesel Metro, they are either all alloy 1.4 or iron block 1.5 'TUD', same as in the AX and 106.If you're going to buy flaky cheap old hatchbacks, they're probably not going to be that cheap to run and maintain unless you get a rare well looked after example.Anyway, I'd go for a Corsa 1.5 TD myself, hardy Japanese engine combined with cheap parts and donor Corsas in every scrapyard.You can even run them on used vegetable oil.

Unless you're doing mega miles, fuel costs won't be your biggest outgoing, it'll be repairs. Get something that's reliable first, cheap on parts second and good on fuel third. A quick spreadsheet will show the truth.Diesels tend to be valued quite high but you'll get 50+mpg from a 1 litre petrol AX and it'll be cheaper to buy. Servicing is a bit of a squeeze if I remember right?I seem to get 45 mpg from my 1.3 Polo because small cars from the late '80s weigh naff all. A Polo Formule E would be even better on juice.

I had a Corsa 1.5 diesel van (not the box one) a few years ago, I can't remember putting any fuel in it.

I had a Xantia TD a few years back that I thought the fuel gauge was stuck on. Having said that, I'm not known for driving economical cars. Can't stand the things, I end up missing the people in the petrol station.

A decent Corsa 1.5 TD wouldn't be a bad choice. They're not the most exciting car about, but they go well enough, parts are dirt cheap and they get brilliant fuel economy. A Nova TD would be even more economical, but they're starting to make good money now and there's not many about. Pug 205 diesel / TD is another possibility - not much thirstier than an AX and rather better at coping with motorways etc. Or a Maestro Clubman TD for pure shite factor (and 60mpg). If you want something bigger, I've been getting 55 to the gallon out of my 406 diesel.

I have just got rid of a Corsa 1500td and it did me well with no hassle. I would say though that I have had a few Citroen ax's and Peugeot 106's of petrol and Diesel types and I do really recomend those highly. Peugeot 106 1500 diesel is the best of the bunch in my eyes.

Can confirm the comments about the Pug 106; The current wife has an R reg 106 "zest", with leccy windows, sunfoof and other decents bits & bobs. Only a 1126 cc petrol, but gets 55mpg easy! In 70K miles it's had one set of tyres (Michelins, of course!) a cambelt & one set of brake shoes/pads. The distaff side loves it! It's probably only worth £500 if the scrappage scheme wasn't about, but worth a lot more in practicality and reliability! They're good little cars!

I picked up a 205 1.8 diesel a few months back and I'm really pleased with it. I've never had less than 60mpg (costs 40 odd quid to fill and I get at least 540 miles out of that). They're extremely practical inside and much better for taller drivers than the 106s. The thing has absolutely nothing in the way of luxuries, but then there's less to go wrong! It might not be quick, but it's nippy enough and handles superbly.My only gripes so far are its appetite for rear bulbs, a knock from the suspension and the £200 quid it costs to tax. How ridiculous that such a fuel efficient car that's been taxed since 1993 is so expensive to ticket. Thieving barstweards!By the way, helloes people - loving the site!

Another vote for the AX 1.5TD.

Or failing that, 1.0 Suzuki Alto. Ours was ridiculously cheap to run and mega reliable.

Try and get spares for the Alto though, 2 weeks for a handbrake cable!

I ordered a rear trailing arm for my SC100 in 1992, still waiting... :shock:

Stick one of these in a 2CV or something featherlight, Kubota 2cyl diesel

Brand new and ready to go at £600!

Posted Image

'Bubble' Micra 1.0 petrol also a decent little car.

Mine cost me £100 and gives a minimum of 47MPG even when driven like a twunt - driven sensibly this goes above 50mpg.Will shortly be being changed though - I have my eye firmly on that Maestro, that gold Golf and also a 1400 8v Bubble 200 Rover.... One of them will be getting bought methinks - shame I just binned some Maestro rimmz.

Hi,CAN I SEEZ PICZ OF UR PONY PLEEZ?and the Cherry while we're at it?

The Cherry was my first car that I bought off my Auntie. Unfortunately I don't have any pics, but it was a C-Reg 3-door Maxima fast back in piss green! When I bought it back in 2000 it had 23k miles on the clock. I sold it at 26k to an enthusiast farmer who apparantly had 20?! or so Datsuns stored and was adding mine to his collection!I sold the Pony to my sister, but I'll snap a few photies next time I see her. It also has done ridiculously few miles - perhaps 32k? It's a 1.5 auto in brown - gloriously shite. Bizarrely it has leccy windows and mirrors, yet no central locking.

'Bubble' Micra 1.0 petrol also a decent little car.

Mine cost me £100 and gives a minimum of 47MPG even when driven like a twunt - driven sensibly this goes above 50mpg..
Bloody hell, I used to regularly get sub 25 mpg out of them when they were new.

We've got a 1.1 Saxo which is fugging terrible on petrol. I don't hang about in it but it's certainly not redlined on every gearchange and it gets about 30mpg with daily use. Motorway use cruising at 80-85mpg sees no more than 35mpg.i'm starting to wonder whether it's knackered now. Best not be, it's just had a clutch and cambelt. It just never seems to do that well on fuel, not even if SWMBO drives it and she's a little less in a hurry usually. Although pushes cruising speed up a little!

1000cc cars are a total false economy in my eyes. Sure they are fine & dandy trickling around town, but show them a dual carriageway or extended motorway stint and it all goes to shit, massive noise, huge discomfort and unprecedented thirst. It's just not worth it. Then couple to the fact that every old biddy and teenage twit is fighting tooth-and-nail for small 'cheap' cars, so they aren't even very cheap. And definately not cheerful.

We've had a Saxo 1.5D for about six years now. So cheap to run. Seems to run better now at 90k than ever. Happily cruises at 80. Fun to drive. Super-reliable. Or the AX if you want something with more style - though they do fold up a little easier in an accident apparently.