BoggyMires

The 'Black Mumbaaaah'. Jaag esstype action!

Service time!

I've been looking forward to getting this engine serviced. It's all new to me but they all do the same basic stuff so it can't be that bad. First off, I didn't realise that half the engine needed to be removed to access the other bank of plugs on this V6. That was a bit of a surprise to be sure but it was a good excuse to get to know the engine better.

post-24545-0-00929700-1556485905_thumb.jpg

post-24545-0-78664100-1556485923_thumb.jpg

The amount of plastic, ally and Ford parts keeps growing! Eventually I got somewhere.

post-24545-0-53874400-1556486014_thumb.jpg

And pulled the plugs!

post-24545-0-29620100-1556486050_thumb.jpg

Apparently the brown stuff is this:

https://www.beruparts.eu/support/trouble-tracer/spark-plugs.html

The plugs are reasonably worn and I've no idea when they were last changed. It looks as though 3 coils have been changed on the right bank. There is some bodgeroo with one of the intake bolts to the rear- it would be the rear! I was to find out what a fucker that was going to be later on.

Whilst the top was off, the oil was draining I gave a glance underside to find out where the oil filter was... no luck! I found it later towards the rear of the engine, easily accessible too!

I also took the opportunity  to address the thermostat housing which had been leaking all over the place for some time. Here it is getting a quick once over to clean it up and make it serviceable for the future...

post-24545-0-99840100-1556487369_thumb.jpg

The idea is to take off and fix or check out and lube things as I go along which will need doing in the future such as consumable items and then not have too much bother with stuck bolts and shit when the time comes.

The coolant that came out contained rust, now the block is ally as are the heads so somewhere something is rotting up good. I suspect without any research that the water pump impeller could be a good candidate for this. The outside of the pump itself looks to be in a poor state so it will be worth changing. The tensioner pully is also loose in its bearings so will have to go soon. I'll gather those parts together as and when.

post-24545-0-23568700-1556487837_thumb.jpg

Now, this...

post-24545-0-57106000-1556487876_thumb.jpg

That's right, this...

post-24545-0-66001200-1556487920_thumb.jpg

For whatever reason this bolt was missing and had been replaced with some threaded bar and some loose nuts. I could not for the life of me tighten the thing up. I guesstimate that the bar was not bolting into the thread far enough. Cut a long story short and nearly an hour later with top engineering skilz I had it tight! Why is it always the hardest to get at ones?

post-24545-0-24780500-1556488188_thumb.jpg

All fixed... nearly bar some plastic covers and things. Fuel, pollen and air filters were bunged in also as well as a replacement O ring on the dipstick handle as the old one was swollen.

It runs well enough, I even balanced a torx socket on it's end on the engine to prove how smooth it runs. Quite impressive really. Needs some plastic clips, there are a lot broken or missing so something to look out for and the battery needs to be put in properly as it's a bit loose in the back there. More familiar with the engine bay now and know what to expect when spannering in there!

Not a straight forward service 7/10

Next up will be the track rod ends replacement and alignment... I hope!

That in the picture is not the water pump, I can see how one might think that. No, the water pump is bolted to the block face. It looks corroded 2fuc so I'm really only bothered with snapping bolts. However, I'm very careful. It'll sit in there for a while yet, I've just replaced the coolant! Needs rads too, they are so bad...

Good news big cat lickers! 

The black mumba has raided my wallet today along with its mate the 635. The Jaag done quite well out of it though with some new parts as follows:

• Water pump
  • Idler pulley
  • Alternator belt
  • Rear track arms
  • Rear ARB links
  • Rear ARB urethane bushes
  • Front ARB urethane bushes

I think that's it. Apparently the rear ARB is a sod to do as it's up on top of the subframe and there's no room to do nufink. May have to drop the frame a bit so it'll need marking up before hand as there is 9mm of play once loose! It looks as though I won't be changing out all the bushes at the moment. I've read about hydrobush content in places and reports of urethane bushes making the ride worse if these get changed. Moar research is required here. For now, a little survey is required to see if, like most, the fluid has ruptured through any degraded rubber sealing. Don't know when I'm going to do all this work yet. Plus I got the last urethane bushes for the 635 that go on the rear trailing arms, that will make it 100% pollied up once done. Not looking forward to that little sweetheart of a job I can tell you. And I'm doing this for pleasure?

With the service and brake pads I have now just exceeded the price of what I paid for the car itself. So now the car is worth.... What I paid for it!

Makes perfect sense. That is also why I'm not an accountant.

Cheers, well I might as well get some of it ironed out whilst I don't have to use it. I've washed it more times than I've driven it! Should be factory fresh when that time comes! Lolz an dat...

Thanks for that. It cuts out a lot of headache. If anyone else finds bits of the car in their drawers...oo er... Please forward to me! I'd like to know what went above the number plate, there's two screw holes and a gasket but no 'thing'? Hopefully it wasn't a rear facing leaper!

I have now placed the car under a cover to prevent more bird shittings from targeting the paint. It looks very posh under its new cover.

Parts for the engine and suspension are arriving thick and fast. Water pump was not as expected. Advertised as a valeo OEM part with a 5 year warranty... I received a fast lane aftermarket pump with a 2 year warranty! Now, I've used fast lane for bearings, hubs and such and don't doubt their integrity but that's not the point so I'm in discussions with the eBay supplier. If he can't warranty the fast lane for 5 years then he'll have to send me an additional one and a half pumps to cover the advertised period.

Whipped the cover off today and drove it 150 miles. Also brimmed the tank... £77! Strangely only managed to scrape 31mpg, but who's counting? Although, it got in the high 30's with soggy tires before.. must have had the wind behind me! Alignment is still shot besides. 

Oh, that missing boot thing I've found out is a release switch. Inexpensive, widely used thing. Coolant loss is virtually gone now after messing about with the thermostat housing. Quality ride compared to that brick on rollerskates merc I've become used to.

A handful of admirers at my destination showing an encouraging tepid fondness exists for the s type... which was nice.

Back under its cover now until further notice.

Did I mention the stereo? One sunny day I was chopping around on the M25, toons blaring at volume 11 when I got a whiff of electricals... I blamed the tanker truck in front until I realised it was just carrying dirty water... I stuck my finger in the tape loading slot and it was like a volcano in there. ~turns stereo off~

And it didn't stop being boiling hot for sometime after. I can't have those types of thing in the car so it's coming out and is destined for the bin. It's replacement is planned to be an alpine satnavvy bluetooth thing.

1456525078_s-l400(2).jpg.f2ce95cde2bf84fa1aad85779ef7d2e4.jpg

I'm a bit bothered about the fitting in the hole part but it is effectively a standard old ford unit it's replacing so we should be winning...we should be!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By davehedgehog31
      I've had various threads on the go for different collections this year, but thought I'd condense my threads into one manageable thread to document my ham-fisted tinkering.

At the turn of the year I was driving a nice, dependable, modern 2011 Peugeot 407 and no other vehicle. It was nice enough, but boring as feck. I'd bought it after a series of disastrous heaps in the awkward age bracket of being new and valuable enough to worry about but old enough to be fucked. The 407 was just too new, too bloated and dull. I had a hankering for old metal, my Mineral Oil withdrawal pangs were strong.

From January I started looking, there were eBay bids, missed reserves, wasted trips from Gumtree and other such nonsense. I happened on an automatic Rover 216 GSI with one giffer owner from a year old. The chap was giving up driving at 93 years old and his grandson was moving it on. I bid, and failed. It was in London though, about 420 miles away so I wasn't all that bothered. Of course when he offered it to me for my losing bid after the winning buyer was a no show I said yes. I was on the Megabus down to that London overnight for about £15. I hung about in Liverpool Street station like a mad shivering jakey until my train out to the suburb for my first sight of the new steed. It was battered outside but had been well looked after. A frankly insulting amount of cash changed hands and I was away up the road.

We had many adventures together, it was dependable and it whet my appetite for interesting old motors again and proved that the very bottom end of the market was navigable if I had the patience to wade through the sea of shit to find the odd pearl.

The 407 was still on the fleet at this point but I was covering a lot of miles in the Rover, with a long commute though the fuel economy wasn't ideal. When a friend's mother was looking for a new diesel saloon to replace the faithful old Xsara she had a scheme was concocted. I sold the 407 to her and was on the hunt for an interesting replacement.

When I was growing up my dad had a succession of hopeless shitters, indeed I was brought home from the hospital as a newborn in a brush painted Skoda Super Estelle. The best car he had was a red XUD Peugeot 405 with air conditioning and electric windows. So when I found a 1994 GTXD advertised by someone who could actually compose a car advert in the fashion you would expect of a human being educated to a Primary School level, I pounced.

Of course I couldn't buy a car just down the road so it was on the train to Birmingham. First class no less. I stayed in an absolute flea pit of a hotel and drove up the road the next day. This was a proper bit of nostalgia and a really practical borderline classic car. It had been fastidiously maintained by the previous owner. Apart from there being a hole where there was once a stereo and the lack of working air con it was a pleasant drive home.

Given their relative scarcity and how dependable this one has proven so far, it's a keeper, I'd struggle to part with it.

Two cars just wasn't enough to worry about, so this Citroen C1 was acquired. Pure Aleppo spec. A camel can go for weeks, or months without stopping at a watering hole, the C1 has a similar thirst for Motor Spirit. Man maths were employed and worked out that it would easily* pay for itself.

There have been further movements, I'll recap them shortly. I should probably do some work.
    • By Zelandeth
      Well I've been meaning to sign up here in forever, but kept forgetting. Thanks to someone over on another forum I frequent poking me about it recently the subject was forced back into my very brief attention span for long enough to get me to act on the instruction.

I figure that my little varied fleet might bring you lot some amusement...

So...we've got:

1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate (now fuel injected, as I reckon the later cars should have been from the factory...).
      1989 Saab 900i Automatic.
      1987 Skoda 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.
      1985 Sinclair C5.
      2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.

Now getting the photos together has taken me far longer than I'd expected...so you're gonna get a couple of photos of each car for now, and I'll come back with some more information tomorrow when I've got a bit more time...

Firstly...The Lada. Before anyone asks - in response to the single question I get asked about this car: No, it is not for sale. Took me 13 years and my father's inheritance to find the thing.

Yes, it's got the usual rusty wings...Hoping that will be resolved in the next couple of months.

Next, a proper old Saab. One of the very last 8 valve cars apparently, and all the better for it. I've driven two 16v autos and they were horrible - the auto box works sooooo much better with the torque curve of the 8 valve engine. Just wish it had an overdrive for motorway cruising...

Next up a *real* Skoda...back when they put the engine where it belongs, right out the back. In the best possible colour of course...eye-searingly bright orange.

Seat covers have been added since that photo was taken as it suffers from the usual rotting seat cloth problem that affects virtually all Estelles.

Then we have possibly the world's scruffiest Sinclair C5...

Realised when looking for this that I really need to get some more photos of the thing...I use it often enough after all! We have a dog who's half husky, so this is a really good way of getting him some exercise.

Finally - again, I really need to take more photos of - we have the little Pug 107.

Included for the sake of variety even if it's a bit mainstream! First (and probably to be the only) new car I've bought, and has been a cracking little motor and has asked for very little in return for putting up with nearly three years of Oxford-Milton Keynes commuter traffic, before finally escaping that fate when my housemate moved to a new job. Now it doesn't do many miles and is my default car for "when I've managed to break everything else."

I'll fill in some more details tomorrow - I warn you though that I do tend to ramble...

• By scdan4
      That bit hiding up behind the air filter and infront of the turret

made a prolonged, loud, farty vibratey noise (loud enough to be clearly audible in the cabin with the radio on) twice today, both times it did it the nose was pointing down a steep hill and we had just parked and turned off the engine.

It goes on for best part of a minute, so managed to track it down. Initial impressions are fuck knows what it is but it's clearly been bodged in the past. The yellow hose has clearly been disconnected sometime, by someone, for some reason, somewhere.

Thats the blighter.

Does someone want to tell me why it's blowing raspberries at me?

• By TheDoctor
      As you may have read in the 'Can we save this?' thread, the answer was 'Yes we can!'
      Someone on this forum who wishes to remain nameless, fronted the cash to rescue this little Mazda from certain doom at the hands of a banger racer. I've taken custody of the car, but will make sure they get their money back as soon as is physically possible.
      Perhaps once it's running right, I'll look at some sort of roffle to find it a new home and pay back what it owes me and them.

Although it had been sitting 5 years or so, it went through an MOT, so that's a good start.

Known faults.
      - Alternator is kaput. Shouldn't be too hard to find a refurbished one. Presume battery knackered too.
      - Wheel bearing grumbling. 
      - Running like crap. Will replace fuel and vacuum pipes and add fuel filter. Then perhaps a carb strip down and rebuild. Aisan 980 carb as far as i know, same as the Toyota was,
      - Flat tyre. 

It's currently sitting outside with a flat battery and no fuel, so that's not a good start!

As I have very little talent, time or money, and suggestions / help greatly appreciated.

These are the pictures I have so far - looks good but it's a lot more dull in real life...